It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 high-tech ways the federal government is spying on private citizens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

4 high-tech ways the federal government is spying on private citizens

news.yahoo.com

Fast forward to 2012, when the U.S. government actually has the tools and capabilities to spy on all its citizens. These eyes go well beyond red light cameras. Right now, the government is tracking the movements of private citizens by GPS, reading private citizens' emails, and possibly even reading what you're saying on Facebook. It does so all in the name of law enforcement and Homeland Security, of course — but whether or not that makes you feel safer is up to you.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Number One and Four are the scariest to me. They are reading all our e-mails, and our ISP's are going to keep tabs on every site we visit. It isn't bad enough that Google monitors every search we conduct, but now even if you go directly to a site, your ISP will report you if the site is on a list?

This is just crazy, for get about freedom, forget about privacy.

news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The whole "spying on your facebook" deal makes me laugh. Its facebook. If you think what you say on there is secure, that is your own silliness.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I agree, facebook is silly, but people post some pretty stupid things there. I have seen people post pictures of themselves using drugs. That's pretty dumb, but was is disturbing is the reading of all our e-mails. And why is NASA building this super computer anyway?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
And yet, how would we feel if there were hundreds of government employees opening our mail, reading it, taking notes, then resealing the envelopes and we are none the wiser?

Is it true that because we speak to one another online that we should expect to be cataloged, recorded and made into statistics for unseen technocrats to use at their whim?

Exactly at what point do we assert that our dialogues and exchanges are the domain of a paranoid government?

Of course, we are assuming that this will all be for security uses, right?

Facebook was never marketed as a way to secure our musings and interests... our network of friends, and our private passions. So yes, I understand that it is naive to declare that should be private.

But if not emails, and personal journal entries, ... then what can we rightfully expect to be exclusively "our" business? And who is protecting that commonly held presumptive privileged? Corporations have it. But we, the non corporate citizens, do not?

The government is creating a social paradigm which engenders the pubic desire to be free of the scrutiny of strangers; while expending our funding to protect those who exploit our lack of 'personal sovereignty' as a matter of commerce.

Where this goes will be their own damn fault. But they will blame us... the people who expect, and even demand, the dignity of privacy.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Wouldn't touch face book with a barge pole.

If they are stupid enough to post INFO about themselves they deserve to be monitored as they might be a danger to me.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The only way to stop the government from spying is giving up all those must have gadgets people just can't seem to live without.

Case in point never seen an Amish person scream about "Big Brother" and live quite contently without all those creature comforts that have become so common place.

There ya go folks give it all up and you will finally have privacy nothing is ever going to stop big brother from spying they have been doing it a very very long time long before the Patriot Act and all the latest talking points that make heads explode on here.

A solution is offered and most will never take it.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I will say one thing...

there is a reason that my journal, newsletter, and political papers are all still done on paper, and not online. Nothing online is secure, ever.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I will be honest here I do not have a facebook. I have looked at other people's facebook pages and some of those people put down where they work, where they live, pics of themselves and their kids, family, ect...
I don't understand why people think its safe or ok to post so much about themselves?

And from what I understand since 2005 every cell phone has a tracking system in it even if your phone doesnt offer GPS to the user. I can't verify this to be 100% true but I did read this off of a few websites.
As far as your emails go..well your stuck there. I personally use my email to sign up for websites , which I expect is tracked somewhere. I am probably very boring to the person stuck tracking me. Sorry dude whomever you are..

I would love to smash my cell phone and bury it, but it is a necessity for right now. I hate having one because it seems everyone just assumes your avalible to their whims and cries day and night.

A post I read here is right I do envy the Amish. But I look terrible in those dresses...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm

Number One and Four are the scariest to me. They are reading all our e-mails, and our ISP's are going to keep tabs on every site we visit. It isn't bad enough that Google monitors every search we conduct, but now even if you go directly to a site, your ISP will report you if the site is on a list?

news.yahoo.com

I absolutely agree...

But you can get around google scanning your search history by using Startpage search engine. It's the only one I will use, it does not record your ip, does not track your searches in any way, and the results give you a proxy link so you can view any site without them seeing your IP... all they will see is startpage, not you.. and startpage does not link that search to you in any way...

The email in particular bothers me. They are opening a data center acording to wired magazine which will scan every email you send over the internet... this is blatant invasion of privacy.

A whistleblower said he tried to get it so they could get auto-warrants and only track certain individuals... but they wanted it totally illegally scanning every email, every phone call... everything you send digitially.
edit on 7-5-2012 by pianopraze because: ...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I constantly post on Facebook about how great the TSA is about protecting the people, and I wish we could have Bush to run again as third term and how the federal reserve is their to keep our money safe. I seem to have secured a good job position in my future.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

LoL!!! You forgot about how Ronald Regan was really the second coming of Jesus

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Here how they keep tack of everybody on here and other site thru the Add

www.abovetopsecret.com...

# The following results may also be obtained via:
# whois.arin.net...;q=205.251.72.170?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&ext=netref2
#www.whois.com...

ev.ib-ibi.com = IP 205.251.72.170

InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc. INFORELAY-EST-02 (NET-205-251-0-0-1) 205.251.0.0 - 205.251.127.255
I-Behavior, Inc I-BEHAVIOR-02 (NET-205-251-72-160-1) 205.251.72.160 - 205.251.72.191

# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: www.arin.net...
#

Ho ya PROMIS
caselink.nashville.gov...

Sound like the start of PROMIS

In the 1980's Inslaw, Inc developed a software program called PROMIS (Prosecutor's Management Information System) the Fed's took the software and modified and added backdoors to it. This led to three separate court cases brought by Inslaw claiming the government violated the contract and was engaging in software piracy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-5-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
The only way to stop the government from spying is giving up all those must have gadgets people just can't seem to live without.

Case in point never seen an Amish person scream about "Big Brother" and live quite contently without all those creature comforts that have become so common place.

There ya go folks give it all up and you will finally have privacy nothing is ever going to stop big brother from spying they have been doing it a very very long time long before the Patriot Act and all the latest talking points that make heads explode on here.

A solution is offered and most will never take it.

A star for you, Neo. Even though I don't line up directly with you
on every issue, this one is simple. If everybody knows their cell is
indirectly hooked up to Langley/Tel Aviv/ Zeus-Knows-Where even
hung up, and still click in to the cupcakes every four hours--- I'm not
going to feel empathic stabs in my spleen when somebody's DSL
hangs up on them. We can take certain steps and somehow get by.
I never had a cell, and find the disadvantage is balanced by a little
more security 'cush' if you follow me. Who WAS that masked pragmatist?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

Originally posted by finemanm

news.yahoo.com

I absolutely agree...

But you can get around google scanning your search history by using Startpage search engine. It's the only one I will use, it does not record your ip, does not track your searches in any way, and the results give you a proxy link so you can view any site without them seeing your IP... all they will see is startpage, not you.. and startpage does not link that search to you in any way...

The email in particular bothers me. They are opening a data center acording to wired magazine which will scan every email you send over the internet... this is blatant invasion of privacy.

A whistleblower said he tried to get it so they could get auto-warrants and only track certain individuals... but they wanted it totally illegally scanning every email, every phone call... everything you send digitially.
edit on 7-5-2012 by pianopraze because: ...

Yeah,,,right...Start Page....enhanced by....guess who....Google. Especially designed for the ones who would like not to be tracked.

edit on 8/5/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Do they really have that many people scanning millions of emails to see what is actually in the content?

I find this really hard to believe. I think people are becoming way to paranoid.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Computers do it. Think of how Siri operates and apply that to thousands of supercomputers crunching emails looking for patterns. Artificial intelligence and speech/text recognition algorithms are doing the work and flag it to human inspectors.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

That might be the case, but what is the actual point?

If you are not doing anything illegal, then patterns will not emerge and life goes on.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Dear finemanm

Well as a none US citizen I think that is good, simply because the US government has read and listen to every email or phone conversation I have ever made.

Do I think that sucks “hell yes”.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I really think the US government or any other government does not have the right to use some methods which violate citizens' privacy,such as the use of spy gear to spy on citizens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join