It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. man held hostage by al Qaeda, appeals to Obama in video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Warren Weinstein, U.S. man held hostage by al Qaeda, appeals to Obama in video

AP) ISLAMABAD - A 70-year-old American aid worker kidnapped nine months ago in Pakistan said in a video released by al Qaeda that he will be killed unless President Barack Obama agrees to the militant group's demands.

The video posted on militant websites Sunday followed one issued in December in which al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri said Warren Weinstein would be released if the U.S. stopped airstrikes in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen. He also demanded the release of all al Qaeda and Taliban suspects around the world.

www.cbsnews.com...

I feel for this guy a 70 year old aid worker being held and we have all seen what happens to Al Queda prisoners.

There is not a snow balls chance of hell of those demands every being met and yep this guy sure was "safer" with the death of Bin Laden.

Thoughts and prayers go out to this guy and his family.
edit on 7-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I feel so bad for guys like him, but the reality is if you are a Westerner visiting a country like Pakistan then you know the risks involved. Personally I think that you shouldn't put yourself in those situations, Pakistan is really bad for things like this and going there even as an aid worker makes you a target as a westerner. Those demands are never going to be met, I feel bad for him because if they wanted money at least he would have a chance, now it seems his only hope is on being found before the deadline.

My thought's go out to this man and his family. It's a real shame how much hatred and anger there is out there. This man has nothing to do with any of this imo.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
They have no plans to release him either way. That might make them look reasonable and that has never been the case. Reason and understanding fall a little short with this group. I feel really bad for this guy because without military intervention he isnt going to get far. They will use this to make an other video and stir everything more and blame the Americans for not giving in to unreasonable demands.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I somehow doubt he's a hostage, considering he's all calm and eating. Yeah, he really looks terrified for his life. Just a ruse. Besides when do terrorists look out for their hostages?
edit on 7-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
When Al-Qa’ida take hostages they don’t release them, just look at Daniel Pearl.

His only hope is that a rescue attempt is launched to save his life however the chances of that are again slim.

The unfortunate truth is that it is most probable that within 6months time we will be discussing his beheading video.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
And there are no muslim people speaking out are they?No blanket condemnation,no offers of assistance just zip.
What would happen if someone,say a shriner,took a muslim visitor hostage and demanded all palestinians abandon Israel?
Our LOCAL POLICE would find him and arrest him.We would ALL feel embarrassed ,that isn't what any decent American should ever do.The double standard is so prevalent.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I somehow doubt he's a hostage, considering he's all calm and eating. Yeah, he really looks terrified for his life. Just a ruse.

If I was this man’s relative I would find your post highly offensive. He is a old man, but a brave man and you chose to use this to imply he is a pawn in a government conspiracy, a "Ruse" rather than admire his bravery.

Besides when do terrorists look out for their hostages?

All the time!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Really?? Honestly???

Weather or not you believe in conspiracy theories.

Regardless if you believe al Qaeda is a CIA front or a legit terrorist group.

Whatever side of the fence you are on if al Qaeda is even a viable threat anymore.

If you believe al Qaeda was involved in 911 or not.

Do you really believe that they would kidnap a 70 year old man, who is an aide worker so probably not wealthy, and demand that the USA give in to their demands? REALLY?????

How convenient that this just happens to be close to election time with a President running for a second term who has lost much of the popularity he had during his first run.

A group of terrorists that were supposedly so clever as to pull of hijacking airplanes and creating one of the most horrific terrorists acts since WW2 and maybe even earlier depending on POV.

WOULD RESORT TO KIDNAPPING A 70 YEAR OLD AIDE WORKER. Not even for money, but in some kind of ploy to get the US government to cave into demands.

It is absolutely ridiculous on its surface.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I somehow doubt he's a hostage, considering he's all calm and eating. Yeah, he really looks terrified for his life. Just a ruse.

If I was this man’s relative I would find your post highly offensive. He is a old man, but a brave man and you chose to use this to imply he is a pawn in a government conspiracy, a "Ruse" rather than admire his bravery.

Besides when do terrorists look out for their hostages?

All the time!

How do you know he's not working with them? He looks unscathed. I've seen hostage videos that scream hostage situation and this doesn't scream hostage situation. He's too calm.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

How do you know he's not working with them? He looks unscathed. I've seen hostage videos that scream hostage situation and this doesn't scream hostage situation. He's too calm.

He is to calm because he appears to be comfortable around his captors,

Ever heard of Stockholm syndrome?

I am not saying he has it, just that it’s a possibility; it’s a far more feasible possibility than your hypothesis that he is a government pawn in some massive all-encompassing conspiracy.

Do you think every hostage situation is some kind of malevolent sinister government plot to gain yet more power. Do you have any evidence that he is “working with them” or is this just some random conspiracy you have dreamt up.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House says the Obama administration does not and will not negotiate with al-Qaida even though it is concerned about the safety and well-being of a 70-year-old American aid worker kidnapped in Pakistan nine months ago.

hosted.ap.org...

Yep we all know what happens next.

This is just sad.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

yep this guy sure was "safer" with the death of Bin Laden.

Are you trying to blame this man's situation on Obama's decision to take out Bin Laden???

And what do you think...do you think we should negotiate with them for this man's release?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Yep i do blame Obama he's the dude who has been bombing Pakistan and Yemen for the last 3 years.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
And there are no muslim people speaking out are they?No blanket condemnation,no offers of assistance just zip.
What would happen if someone,say a shriner,took a muslim visitor hostage and demanded all palestinians abandon Israel?
Our LOCAL POLICE would find him and arrest him.We would ALL feel embarrassed ,that isn't what any decent American should ever do.The double standard is so prevalent.

The Shia of Pakistan might have except they are currently being slaughtered. As of late, there is a full war going on in Pakistan between the Shia and these sunnis groups that are holding this man hostage, one very similar to the ones that that are currently being funded across the globe by the US government.

Shia are also having serious problems in Syria because the US is supplying and funding these same types of organizations that have this man hostage in Pakistan, so sorry they are also a little busy for speaking out.

Shia in Bahrain are being slaughtered because they are protesting their government in the hopes of equality and freedom, with the full support of the US, so we are also sorry that we are a little busy right now.

The Shia in Iran are under constant threat of attack by the US and Israel so they too are a little preoccupied in how they will prevent a full out war also, I am certain they are also sorry they are too busy to help.

The US puppet government in Iraq I am certain will not help because they also are busy right now, doing the bidding of the US. The Shia there are also still having many difficulties daily, but I am certain you know this.

But I, a Shia Muslim, will say, I am very sorry that this man was taken hostage. It is a shame and a crime. He is an innocent man, and does not deserve this. I am not being sarcastic either, I really am against this type of action against innocent people. I will remember him in my prayers.

Also I would like to take this time to implore Americans, please stop funding these people in countries across the globe who commit such atrocities against innocent people. it might help some in the future.

edit on 7-5-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I guess we shouldn't of killed osama, I guess that i what he is trying to say

Help me obama-wan-kennobi your my only hope, sorry, really tasteless and I couldn't resist

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
They do not take hostages. This is suspect, especially with the election. Nine months and he still alive uh uh. And I feel for that mans family. But. He knew the risk of going over there. If we was invaded I would do the same drill.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jameela

But I, a Shia Muslim, will say, I am very sorry that this man was taken hostage. It is a shame and a crime. He is an innocent man, and does not deserve this. I am not being sarcastic either, I really am against this type of action against innocent people. I will remember him in my prayers.

Also I would like to take this time to implore Americans, please stop funding these people in countries across the globe who commit such atrocities against innocent people. it might help some in the future.

I for one, appreciate what you said there. It's rare to hear someone speak up and actually condemn the actions of the Jihadi fighters. Actually, it's almost unheard of these days. I honestly believe that if things are as you present here for the Shia being as engaged in fighting for their own survival as they are, condemning these things early, often and without qualification can only help.

I'm sure it won't mean squat to the U.S. Government....but the U.S.G. isn't the only group that matters. The public matter far more if the opinions change in a large way over time. I doubt there is that much time left before wars break out, but the effort is one no decent person can turn from if they believe in it.

In terms of this man specifically, they would seem to have simply set up the justifications to murder him....OR....they're playing for back room dealing out of the public eye with Obama. Someone looking for a repeat of the Iran/Contra style underhanded garbage? Well... Their demands are absolutely B.S., anyway. I didn't see one on the list that could be entertained for even a passing thought.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bo12au

They do not take hostages. This is suspect, especially with the election. Nine months and he still alive uh uh. And I feel for that mans family. But. He knew the risk of going over there. If we was invaded I would do the same drill.

Actually, Yes, some of them do...and for years on end. It's never mentioned in the Media these days but it probably ought to be as more than a blue moon back page paragraph, but the hostage taking in Beirut during the 80's went on for years and they were being taken and added for years. Israel has also gotten living prisoners back years after they were taken. The other side actually feeds and cares for these prisoners for years and years on end. It's a shocking thing and I still don't quite get it...but there ya go. It's historically factual....

Then we get to the homicidal, mad dog killers of the Sunni Triangle in Iraq and the Taliban/AQ in Afghanistan. Those animals don't take prisoners any longer than it takes to set up the film equipment, throw down the drop cloths and get to the business of beheading a man manually with a small knife.

There are two radically different sides of the people over there...and I learned that much in preparing for going over as a trucker. It was a no kidding type of thing, as presented to me, that being captured in the North or far South would bring radically different outcomes and lengths of time to wait for that.
...This was back in the aftermath of the 2004 over-run of an American Convoy where a U.S. Soldier was lost MIA and a KBR driver was captured.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by bo12au

Actually, Yes, some of them do...and for years on end. It's never mentioned in the Media these days but it probably ought to be as more than a blue moon back page paragraph, but the hostage taking in Beirut during the 80's went on for years and they were being taken and added for years. "or these prisoners for years and years on end. It's a shocking thing and I still don't quite get it...but there ya go. It's historically factual....

Then we get to the homicidal, mad dog killers of the Sunni Triangle in Iraq and the Taliban/AQ in Afghanistan. Those animals don't take prisoners any longer than it takes to set up the film equipment, throw down the drop cloths and get to the business of beheading a man manually with a small knife.

There are two radically different sides of the people over there...and I learned that much in preparing for going over as a trucker. It was a no kidding type of thing, as presented to me, that being captured in the North or far South would bring radically different outcomes and lengths of time to wait for that.
...This was back in the aftermath of the 2004 over-run of an American Convoy where a U.S. Soldier was lost MIA and a KBR driver was captured.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

I knew we was butting heads. I was in fallujah 06 USMC and we lost some good men PROVIDING SECURITY FOR BIG BUISNESS.And I know my bible new testament and all. So don't mention the Jewish people to try and play me, if you want me to teach you a history lesson, start a new thread and we can talk about that.Its UGLY POLITICS

edit on 8-5-2012 by bo12au because: can you hea me r not

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join