It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occasionally I wish I was Amish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Really. They have no issues. NONE. No electronic crud to run their lives, they know the value of hard work, honesty, etc. If TSHTF, they'd no doubt be the majority of survivors as most of us "English" (as they call us worldly folk) couldn't plant a single seed and know what to do with it, it seems.

They all work together to build homes, barns, care for each other, money only comes into play when they have to deal with the "English".

If I wasn't so addicted to electronics, electricity etc, I'd probably find that way of life to be very peaceful and rewarding.

Alas, I'm too used to supermarkets. Freezers, Hitting a switch for light. Phones to talk to anyone anywhere. The net.

I bet 90% of my issues would vanish if I went Amish.
No more bills, no more 'boredom' because I've seen every movie, nothing on cable, net is old, car is broke and no one else has one to come get me to hang out, ...... no more student loan debt as the Amish don't educate their own past what we call an 8th grade education..... no feelings of inadequacy....

I could go on and on.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Amish elders prohibit English language Bibles.

They insist on German language Bibles that very few can read. As a result the word of the Bible (just as in so many other churches) is warped and used to suit the purposes of the village elders.

They have crazy arbitrary rules like you can only use a red strap for your horse.

They banish anyone who questions the rules, these banished Amish often times are poor, and have no skills to work/live/survive in the real world.

I've felt like you at times, on the surface it looks so peaceful and nice, but when you take a deeper look at Amish society you realized no one is allowed to think for themselves, and when they do they are banished..

So I don't think Amish life would be so great, but if you removed the control mechanisms and were just talking about a society where community was the focus and technology was shunned, I'd be all over it.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I could live that way too, I do not need the religion aspect but as long as they could draw a line between that and me, I could coexist with them.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
Really. They have no issues. NONE.

Well, they do have that little issue with the armpit stank..

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Off the grid--doc photography

Or you could just go live with these people and skip all the religious mumbo-jumbo...

I agree though..I could go without everything except easy HOT water for bathing/showering and the internet. Everything else can be tossed.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Really? I have been close to amish and Mennonite people and have never thought they smelled bad...maybe my sniffer's going bad?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Really? I have been close to amish and Mennonite people and have never thought they smelled bad...maybe my sniffer's going bad?

In fairness, I experienced that at an indoor market in the summer. Everyone was sweating. The Amish folks forgot to churn some deodorant that morning I guess.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Yeah the religious part I could take or leave to be honest. But just not having to rely on electronics for everything and having things done for you at a push of a button.

Shame I'm too far addicted to all that to give it up for more than a week or so in a simple living vacation of sorts xD The moment I got home, I may stay away from the net for an hour. Then I'd go on 'just to check my email'.

Bam. 12 hours later. :/

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I wish an ex Amish was on this site. That they did their Rumspringa and never went back. I'd love more inside info about how it /really/ is, you know?

Was Amish, now is on ATS all the time.
I'd LOVE to meet you if you're here!!!!!!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
How about Mennonite? They're a bit more "modern" but still have all the positives you mentioned.

I'd probably love a life like that, except I'm not a very submissive lady and that might not work so well in a patriarchal society.

I've also thought I'd make a great nun. Except I'm not Catholic and I am agnostic. But other than that...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I have lived off the grid some 30 years ago
Total self sufficiency with a group of friends for 8 years or so until I left to pursue other things
Hard work setting up but a fulfilling lifestyle and we made it very comfortable too
Did not miss the modern world one bit in fact it was liberating and I learnt so much
I am now with a friend growing food again as I feel it is important to be as self reliant as possible
There are many people starting to think this way

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yep I'd love to live that way too. What I could not handle though is the bible bashing that MUST be done. Also I dont like the elders who seem to have total control.

Remove the COPULSORY bible bashing and the DO AS I SAY elders and I'll join them.

I've nothing against religion, if thats what turns you on I'm happy for you, just not for me thanks.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Here's a documentary that focuses on a few 'rebel' Amish who were excommunicated/banished from their community. It's really an eye-opener into their world.

edit on 7-5-2012 by TinkerHaus because: Fixin' Video

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

then you need to learn more about the Amish because every moment of every day is ruled by the bible.

And the amish do use electronics, they are just not allowed to own electronics, they find a way around it.

For example, if they run a contracting company, they will give one of their employees a cell phone but use it during the day for business and then give it to the employee at night.

edit on 7-5-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

National Geographic channel has been running a series called Amish: out of the order. And its very good.

It is about a guy who takes in Amish kids who no longer want to stay. some go back, some never go back.

And they tell you how it really is. You would be surprised the reasons they leave. Two brothers because of abuse. Many for education, because you learn what they tell you and that is it.

Many for religious freedom, as another poster said, it is surprisingly rigid and the elders have all the control.

If they return, the only reason is because they miss their families.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I used to feel that way too..until I actually studied the Amish in an anthropology class. It's not all Amish Paradise like so many people think. As other posters have mentioned, there is a lot of discontent in Old Order Amish communities. But woe befalls anybody who expresses that discontent. There is also a lot of antagonizing between families in the community too. Anybody who steps even slightly out of bounds into the realm of individuality is going to be intimidated and possibly punished for it.

They have their own internal problems just like anybody else. Do some more research. And learn exactly why and how they have retained their culture in the face of American society for over 300 years, almost unchanged. You'd just be abandoning the problems of mainstream society for the problems of a different culture. Sounds appealing and romantic, but you'd be in for the shock of your life if you thought it would be an easy-living lifestyle. I like to work hard. But these guys go out of their way to make work more labor-intensive and slow as a means of attaining spiritual merit.

Besides, they'd never take you. They strictly forbid outsiders and only associate with outsiders for business purposes in the market.
edit on 7-5-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

top topics

join