It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really? Performance enhancement IV drips for high school test-takers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Photo: An entire class of high school students receive IV drips while cramming for exams

(www.ministryoftofu.com...)

I have often accepted that the general reason countries like India and China are so blessed with top-performing students is because of the sheer numbers....

I heard it once said that China has more 4.0 students than the US has students in total...

I can't speak for India, but this little news item seems to indicate that such comparisons with China may be either contrived, scammed, or generally not "apples to apples."

Photos of high school graduating senior students given intravenous drips in class has become viral on Sina Weibo. Within hours since it was uploaded yesterday morning, it had been shared by tens of thousands of Weibo users.

The original uploader, “CHImushroom”, is a senior student at a high school in Xiaogan, central China’s Hubei province. In the photo, the classroom is brightly lit up late in the evening. On each desk, piles of books take up much space. Wires are installed above desks for hanging IV-drip dispensing bottles. Another animated gif picture offers a panoramic view of the classroom with a teacher standing in the front giving a lecture.

Apparently, among the progressive techniques used in China's high schools (at least this on) is the idea that delivering an intravenous solution of amino acids (vague much?) to students preparing to take their college entry-level examinations (similar to our own SATs, I suspect) is not extraordinary in any way.

“The state grants a 10-yuan subsidy for amino acids to each graduating senior that will participate in the gao kao (National College Entrance Exam). Any student that feels not well can go to the infirmary and take amino acids on the IV drip,” Mr. Xia explained. He said that some students had been below par recently due to the sudden weather changes in the city of Xiaogan, and the school infirmary had been packed with students. In order to spare students the trouble of running back and forth between the infirmary and the classroom and save their time, the school decided to arrange IV drip sessions right in the classroom.

Now here in our education system... if you don't feel well... and decide to medicate yourself ... well we can imagine how that would go over, no?

Perhaps this is some kind of anti-China propaganda.... perhaps this is a bad joke... or perhaps we need to reconsider the process of comparing academic achievement between nations which treat students so completely differently; that the school system itself will apply medical technology to ensure maximum performance from their students; where other nations would just as soon send them to jail for unauthorized/unsanctioned use of medical substances.

What say you, dear readers?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Whether it be this or something else, is it really any different than the US school system doping the kids up on Aderral and Ritalin?

I do not agree with it in any shape or form. One is just as bad as the other.

The hypocrisy of it all is that when athletes do it, they are thrown under the bus, but it is completely ok to start doping up students. I do not get it.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I smell propaganda afoot. This and the fetus pill busts give me the feeling the government is trying to say "hey stop bitchin about the freedoms we are stealing from you. Look how evil China is. Be grateful you arent there."

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
I smell propaganda afoot. This and the fetus pill busts give me the feeling the government is trying to say "hey stop bitchin about the freedoms we are stealing from you. Look how evil China is. Be grateful you arent there."

That's an interesting observation....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

may be considered likewise?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I always love it when things are revealed that should cause concern to us on the grounds of ethics and even some horrendous crimes against humanity, always someone calls it propaganda.

This is child abuse.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

HAHA how do you know it is child abuse? Not only is it subjective but these "kids" who are all seniors may be getting massive benefits from these IV's. Maybe it never even really happened. Were you there? How do you know tthey had not consented? A lot of them are 18 or 17 if they are seniors so tell me again how this is child abuse? Here in the US we throw little kids in jails for being kids and that isnt child abuse?

new topics

top topics

join