It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History's mysteries: 9 Great Archaeology Puzzles: (so they say, can ATS do better?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The Voynich ManuscriptWritten in "alien" characters, illustrated with sketches, and dating back hundreds of years, the Voynich Manuscript has puzzled cryptographers, historians and bibliophiles for centuries. (more info at source story)

The Copiale Ciphera mysterious cryptogram bound in gold and green brocade paper. The 250-year-old coded document revealed the inner workings of an 18th-century secret society. After trying 80 languages, the team realized Greek and Roman characters in it were actually meant to throw them off, deliberately planted to misread readers.

Lost World Beneath Atlantic?Buried deep beneath the sediment of the North Atlantic Ocean lies an ancient, lost landscape with furrows cut by rivers and peaks that once belonged to mountains. Geologists recently discovered this roughly 56-million-year-old landscape using data gathered for oil companies. "It looks for all the world like a map of a bit of a country onshore," said Nicky White, the senior researcher. White and colleagues suspect it is part of a larger region that merged with what is now Scotland and may have extended toward Norway in a hot, prehuman world.

Source: www.foxnews.com...=10

Well now. I love these type of stories/articles. But, I can't say I totally agree with their choices. The others listed are what you would expect IF you weren't an avid ATS member. Like the Nazca Lines, Lost City of Atlantis, The Lost Colony of the New World and even one I did a thread on: Roman Dodecahedrons. [Thread title & link (some awesome responses on that one) Ancient Dodecahedron's Purpose Remains Secret
Can you tell what it is?)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But, being here at ATS, I think we could come up with some things that should/could be added to the list. Want to try. I feel I would be bad if I wrote the ones I could add-as I have done a few threads on this type of subject line. So, I ask you.

What would you like to see added to the list. The Giza Pyramids? Aztec stuff or anything from old Central & South America etc etc etc.

By the way, the first two noted in the tread have been discussed here on ATS before. Do a search and you will see so.

I have to admit the last one from the thread interest me.... A lost city/civilization new Scotland to Norway--- hmmmm. Now that I like.

So. if you can, what would be you TOP THREE? I will hold on mind for now.... Maybe I will throw one on my Fav's (as well as some other members)... The Olmec Civilization
edit on 5/7/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
i have heard of all of them with exception to the last one that is interesting, and i will have to do some searching around on that one. thanks for a the read.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

Can you name, say 3 things that would be considered better archaeology "puzzels".

Just curious....

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I have to admit the last one from the thread interest me.... A lost city/civilization new Scotland to Norway--- hmmmm. Now that I like.

This sounds like Doggerland
A land bridge between Britain and Scandinavia
link
en.wikipedia.org...

Cran

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Add human stupidity to the list. That's a big mystery imo.

EDIT: That is not an archaeological mystery per say thou.
edit on 7-5-2012 by FejkNick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I believe the OP was counting all nine in the source article, not just the three shared here.

oh, and thanks, OP, The Nazca Lines were new on me! Something fun to research!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by subbcindy

Well, ATS Search Nazca Lines. HAVE FUN!!!!!

And, while you are at it, travel a short distance and check out "The Band of Holes". Trust me....

Which is one of my favorites and Still not being able to be explained today.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by subbcindy

Well, ATS Search Nazca Lines. HAVE FUN!!!!!

And, while you are at it, travel a short distance and check out "The Band of Holes". Trust me....

Which is one of my favorites and Still not being able to be explained today.

Actually have never even heard of the Band of Holes before...thanks! Quite interesting and I have no idea why people would dig tons of 6-7ft holes into a side of a mountain for over a mile. Just odd to say the least.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Can I explain that object the dodecahedron? When I was a kid, my mother went to Brazil, and she brought back a souvenir that was a Brazil nut shell, carved like that and in the center it had something in it.

Similar to this but looking like your example.
p2.la-img.com...

And inside it had nuts that could not come out so it rattled. But it was as big as a grapefruit.

upload.wikimedia.org...

Or maybe as has been suggested it was used by women for 'ceremonial' purposes.

edit on 7-5-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MagnusMaximus

It wasn't people.... some say.

Some say it was an alien machine that was possibly doing some type of test or mining etc.

Check this video. I suggest the whole thing BUT... the part on Nazca and Band of Holes starts around: 14:00. But, watch the video up to then also to get the whole idea/discussion etc.

Check out the mines also...(around 14:30!)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

It wasn't people.... some say.

Some say it was an alien machine that was possibly doing some type of test or mining etc.

Check this video. I suggest the whole thing BUT... the part on Nazca and Band of Holes starts around: 14:00. But, watch the video up to then also to get the whole idea/discussion etc.

Check out the mines also...(around 14:30!)

What video?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

any chance of a link?
youve peeked my interest

great thread OP
not realy got a top 3 but my fav as to be the Dropa Stones......................i know, i know, alot of speculation and ifs and buts.............................BUT my fav!!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
What about Göbekli Tepe, 12000bc it is regarded as an archaeological discovery of the greatest importance since it could profoundly change our understanding of a crucial stage in the development of human societies. It seems that the erection of monumental complexes was within the capacities of hunter-gatherers and not only of sedentary farming communities as had been previously thought. In other words, as excavator Klaus Schmidt puts it: "First came the temple, then the city."[26] This revolutionary hypothesis will have to be supported or modified by future research.

Thus, the structures not only predate pottery, metallurgy, and the invention of writing or the wheel; they were built before the so-called Neolithic Revolution, i.e., the beginning of agriculture and animal husbandry around 9000 BC. But the construction of Göbekli Tepe implies organisation of an order of complexity not hitherto associated with Paleolithic, PPNA, or PPNB societies.

Schmidt has engaged in some speculation regarding the belief systems of the groups that created Göbekli Tepe, based on comparisons with other shrines and settlements. He assumes shamanic practices and suggests that the T-shaped pillars may represent mythical creatures, perhaps ancestors, whereas he sees a fully articulated belief in gods only developing later in Mesopotamia, associated with extensive temples and palaces. This corresponds well with an ancient Sumerian belief that agriculture, animal husbandry and weaving had been brought to mankind from the sacred mountain Du-Ku, which was inhabited by Annuna—deities, very ancient gods without individual names. Klaus Schmidt identifies this story as an oriental primeval myth that preserves a partial memory of the emerging Neolithic.[27] It is also apparent that the animal and other images give no indication of organized violence, i.e., there are no depictions of hunting raids or wounded animals, and the pillar carvings ignore game on which the society mainly subsisted, like deer, in favor of formidable creatures such as lions, snakes, spiders and scorpions.

Link
edit on 8-5-2012 by blaenau2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by blaenau2000

you know i was so close to posting this myself
i only found out about this on a bbc documentary called "how to grow a planet"
they say its between 12,000 and 13,000 years old and the carving they show is a real brain fu*k!
heres the vid
star for bringing this up

edit on 8-5-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Link not working ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

First time i have seen on video. thanks.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by blaenau2000

all sorted now
i finally know how to embed GET IN THERE

its an inspiring place
fascinating!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

SORRY. Here is the Video link I noted on Page 1. MY BAD.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

thanks for the video
i had heard of the nazca lines (beaten to death here)
but the holes are a new one for me so many thanks

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

The Copiale Ciphera mysterious cryptogram bound in gold and green brocade paper. The 250-year-old coded document revealed the inner workings of an 18th-century secret society. After trying 80 languages, the team realized Greek and Roman characters in it were actually meant to throw them off, deliberately planted to misread readers.

Thanks for posting this OP, I was reading about it last night after I saw this thread yesterday. It is very interesting.

For anyone else who might be interested, here is a link to the the English translation...

stp.lingfil.uu.se...

It is not that easy to read, it's a bit 'bumpy' being a literal translation rather than an interpretative one, but you can get the gist either way, and for those, like me, interested in secret societies it is quite illuminating (pardon the pun). I also wonder, given both the dating, and it's German origins, whether there is some connection to Weishaupt's lot. In fact, all things considered, I would be very surprised if there isn't. It seems very much in keeping with their other discovered writings. And particularly since it refers to the initiation of women, something, to my knowledge, that only Weishaupt et al considered.

Either way, worth a read.

ETA...Sorry I forgot, here is an article about the translation process etc...again worthy of a look for those suitably curious about this kind of thing...

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 9-5-2012 by Biliverdin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

Wow. Very interesting.

THANK YOU.

I never heard of the German ogranization.

Fascinating and I am happy you enjoyed the thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join