It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What is the evidence that karma exists?

For those of you who believe in karma, how do you know it's real?

"The idea of karma was popularized in the Western world through the work of the Theosophical Society. In this conception, karma was a precursor to the Neopagan law of return or Threefold Law, the idea that the beneficial or harmful effects one has on the world will return to oneself. Colloquially this may be summed up as 'what goes around comes around.'

The Theosophist I. K. Taimni wrote that "Karma is nothing but the Law of Cause and Effect operating in the realm of human life and bringing about adjustments between an individual and other individuals whom he has affected by his thoughts, emotions and actions."[47] Theosophy also teaches that when humans reincarnate they come back as humans only, not as animals or other organisms.[48]

In the west, karma is often confused with concepts such as the soul, psychic energy, synchronicity (a concept originally from psychoanalyst Carl Jung, which says that things that happen at the same time are related), and ideas from quantum or theoretical physics (which most physicists would not grant as having any bearing on morality or codes of conduct, much less on supernatural notions). This mishmash of word associations is well illustrated by the once-common bumper sticker "My karma ran over your dogma."

The modern view of karma, devoid of any spiritual exigencies, obviates the need for an acceptance of reincarnation in Judeochristian societies and attempts to portray karma as a universal psychological phenomenon which behaves predictably, like other physical forces such as gravity.

Sakyong Mipham eloquently summed this up when he said;

Like gravity, karma is so basic we often don't even notice it.[49]
This view of karma, as a universal and personally impacting emotional constant, correlates with Buddhist and Jungian understanding that volition (or libido, created from personal and cultural biases) is the primary instigator of karma. Any conscious thought, word and/or action, arising from a cognitively unresolved emotion (cognitive dissonance), results in karma." - Wikipedia

edit on 7-5-2012 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
My name is Earl ofcourse what els?!
edit on 7-5-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

Karma does not exists...otherwise sexual offenders wouldn't win the lotto..and good people wouldn't be screwed out of stuff.

I don't believe in it...

edit on 7-5-2012 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You create a minimum thread, karma says you won't get many responses..........let's wait and see.

Peace

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

What do you mean by karma? I think that is an important place to start.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This guy believes in Karma
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy

That what goes around, comes around. The Law of Cause and Effect.

That everything bad and good that happens to you, you deserve it.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Karma is what balances out what we call Good and evil... or positive and negative...

Postive action and words result in postive feedback... And negative actions and words return negative results...

The only way to prove it is to test it for yourself... and the feedback is rarely instant...

Do something that you wouldn't normally do to prove it exists... attempt one of the extremes...

Do something abnormally positive... or negative...

Though i would suggest trying the positive route... IF you stick with the postive... after a while you'll see noticeable results.... and the same goes for negative

But just doing one positive thing and waiting for results won't get you far...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Let's say I save thousands of lives.... and then I buy a lottery ticket and it just so happens I win the lottery. How would I know it's actually karma and not just pure luck.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think some have the idea that Karma is form of punishment.
I see it as a learning tool
It puts you on the receiving end of what it feels like if you say give out anger for example
Karma is cyclical but the cycle can be broken when one of those choose to do so by understanding what is occurring and not laying blame on another or others
Karma can be instant or can be played out over lifetimes
Karma or the lesson to be learnt can be presented in many different ways or details and with many players so to speak.
It is a necessary tool for learning that there are consequences to all we say and do.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

What is the evidence that karma exists?

Right off the top, I'd say that life is the best example; you get out what you put in.

As for hard evidence? It doesn't exist because it comes in on such personal levels that... most of it never goes any further than the individual that experiences it firsthand... and since most of us can't, or choose not to learn from it, you don't get a lot of books on the subject. Karma is the slap, or kiss on the face you get when you look in the mirror after doing some either entirely wrong, or completely correct.

We just don't talk about it.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Karma is not about punishment or reward
Also there is no such thing as luck

edit on 7-5-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
every thought you think, will show itself somewhere, whether you notice it or not.
every action you make, will influence you in some way, large or miniscule, in the future.
positive way or negative way.
that is how I see karma.
nothing is random, nothing is solitary..

everything depends on the other.
your brain, your reality.

could take years, could take minutes, but the effects are permanent.
edit on 7-5-2012 by PrincessofSwords because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Whether it deals with what goes around comes around or it's simply a learning tool, how do you know it's real?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0

Originally posted by artistpoet

Whether it deals with what goes around comes around or it's simply a learning tool, how do you know it's real?

I know it is real because I have personally experienced it
Next time something occurs ask yourself why you think it happened be it good fortune or ill fortune
There is a reason for everything

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Karma is the second law of causation in Buddhism under the 12 links of interdependency. From ignorance arises karma, from karma arises consciousness. Karma is embodiment, the 'soul's' causeless descent into body. The body is said to be karma, unpurified, the 5 aggregates of form, feeling, perception, experience, and consciousness. To transcend karma is the goal (nirvana). There are two kinds and of ignorance/karma, 'perpetual' which always exists, and 'conditional' which arises from moment to moment. When this conditional ignorance is destroyed there arises no karma, an example is if you know violence is bad, you avoid the 'karma' of war; the opposite is also true, so to answer your question: IGNORANCE is the caus of karma. But since you asked for evidence, consciousness is the evidence of karma.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Lord Jules because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy

That what goes around, comes around. The Law of Cause and Effect.

That everything bad and good that happens to you, you deserve it.

Well, you see, you have tried to simplify a very complex process. The Law of Cause and Effect is a complex process, where as one 'cause' may have multiple 'effects', of which some may be undetectable, insofar as one 'effect' may have multiple 'causes', of which some may be undetectable. This whole Eye for an Eye; condemnation, deserving of justice, mentality comes from a Judeo-Christian background, and has little to do with the eastern philosophy of karma.

Everything that happens to you has a cause, whether you "deserve it" or not, and everything you do has an effect. If you spread hatred then you are increasing the chance it will be spread back on you, but this is not guarenteed. If you never have spread hatred you are decreasing the chance it will be spread back on you, yet you still could be the recipient of it. That is karma.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Karma is an individual experience. As people, we're too separated from each other for karma to be a collective experience. Get close to someone on a more spiritual level and you'll see karma work for both of them at the same time though. The two people will have to have something in common at their base level for that to work. In other words, you can't connect with someone if there's nothing to connect with.

That all elusive "dual" karma aside for a moment, this is something that is hard for one person to put into words in order for someone else to believe. I can tell you 'till I'm blue in the face WHY I believe it exists and even give you personal examples, but this is something you have to see or experience yourself to believe. That's why I don't really bother trying to talk to people about stuff like this because there are times when people just have to be quiet and watch. Besides, people typically don't believe in this kind of stuff anyway so why bother talking when there's nobody listening? That's the only way you or anyone else are ever going to fully believe in karma. You have to see it in action for yourselves.

It's a good topic though. If more people believed in karma then more people would make more conscious decisions to do good rather than bad. And that's the nuts and bolts of it right there. Karma doesn't have to exist in order for it to work.

Think about it.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

If karma didnt exist it would be necessary to invent it. It makes people behave just like with religion...

Good and bad things happen to me, but I never stop and think if it was because of a certain good or bad thing I've done before. I think the main purpose of karma, at least back in the day was to control people. It's like telling someone God is always watching so don't do bad things(sin). Except in this case they call it karma.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

My only proof is the actions I have experienced during phases of Life and death within existence. And from what I have been thru what you do DOES come back in some way or another, so I learn recognize and proceed to be more positive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join