It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education & Military, can't we support both?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Fing3rm4n

I don't think anybody is supporting abolishing the military entirely. Simply the large marjority of it that is unnecessary in today's world. The United States has a standing army with no enemy, not a real one anyway that requires such a massive force of oppresion on the rest of the world.

Having a strong military is important, however that can be done with minimal requirements if you are going to focus in R&D, border defense and peace keeping missions abroad. ( ones that you are INVITED to, not create and then attempt to pretend like you forced into..)

The big problem with the United States is that after 9/11 ( even before, but not to this extend) the country re-tooled the entire economy towards the military and the industrial complex that comes along with it. Leaving huge voids in Manufacturing of goods, service delivery, heatlhcare, education and the list goes on.

Now the US is faced with huge problems. If you cut the military without first having a plan to bring back proper manufacturing to the country than yes, you will be cutting your life support. But all of that can be done, easily.

Military culture will destroy a nation, no matter how powerful that military is or isn't. A focus on one thing, over a nother will ultimately lead to your downfall. In places where you least expected it.

~Tenth

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The military has taken MASSIVE cuts recently. We are on the verge of being unable to fulfill our duty.
Recruiting of competent individuals who WANT to serve may be an issue if they continue to cut pay and benefits.

The military is the most successful ladder system ever. It is more important than college loans and grants. However, I'm not saying I don't want to see that go away. I agree. There should be more funding in that area.
My kids will go to school on the Post 9/11 GI Bill. That is a benefit I served more than twenty years to accomplish. I currently serve overseas away from my family. This is true sacrifice. It can be absolute hell to be away from your family and country for so long. It is for a great cause. Don't knock it. Go knock on another door please. We've bled over the years with so many deployments. And now we've bled with massive massive cuts.
Go knock on another door.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Massive cuts in spending will happen with policy change. With us pulling our of Iraq and Afghanistan, the funding for those wars will decrease our bill tremendously.

But, to cut our funding while we are still in these wars is simply hurting the troops. It cuts our forces. Ensures more and longer deployments. Decreases our pay/benefits. Decreases our morale. Decreases our effectiveness.

Our military does not oppress any country that does not deserve to be oppressed. BTW. The military does not make policy decisions. We simply enforce them. We are strong enough to enforce them.
Can you imagine a Russia that has the gall that the Soviet Union once had???

I like Ron Paul. Most military members like Ron Paul. His ideas are common sense. And, it reduces military spending by reducing our requirements at the same time.

Iran. NK. China. Russia. Syria. And a few other countries must simply be kept in check.
It's only a matter of time before all devolves back into a chaotic routine. Then, we will remiss the good ole days of having the most powerful/influential military in the world.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Fing3rm4n

I never knew that taking a measly $6 billion away from the military budget would cripple our military.. I guess ill start knocking on other doors

top topics

<< 1   >>

join