It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new philosophy - Volism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by arpgme

"Desire is life. It protects us from boredom."

The word protect implies that you don't want it, that you fear it somehow. Have you sat with boredom?

I don't want it but it doesn't mean I fear it. If I get bored it is no big deal. A desire will soon come that will bring me excitement, it always does.

This is what life is about the passion.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

My interpretation is that in the next kingdom, we will all be children again, in order to prepare for a whole new, more advanced way to learn. My idea of heaven is one where a things are even more complicated, and what we learn in this life is what can enable us to learn even more in the next life. Just as becoming an adult in this life, advancing from being a child to an adult, means learning how to take on responsibilities, learning how to make things happen in this world, the same growth will be expected in the next life.

So you waste this life time waiting and hoping for a better life after you die? You ignore this 'kingdom' waiting for another 'kingdom'? Religion and society has programmed you to believe there is something better waiting for you on 'the other side', but there is no 'other side'. There is only now, there is only here. The 'kingdom of God' is here, now. You are projecting the past into the future with your interpretations and ideas, but what about the now?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

Rational intelligent people who choose to live in communities for the many advantages do not live in fear.

Why should they. Certainly not the people I know. Sure, they have worries, but that is not the same as living in fear.

Most people don't allow their egos to control them. This is a false claim.

What you call "not as good as it could be" is what I refer to as things could always be better. Maybe you are a glass half empty guy, but I am not.

I don't see the world as black or white in a digital perspective, I see the world as subjective, analog.

My life is not perfect, and I have no desire to seek perfection. I think that is an unrealistic dream. Perfection, should it be obtained, IMO is stagnation. I desire to continue to grow and evolve.

I seek better for everyone, including the many people I love.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

No, you completely missed what I am writing. See my other posts.

Living this life to become a better more advance person is what I seek. I don't spend my life praying to some god, preparing for the next life, I spend my life exploring the world and enjoying my life, advancing and growing, seeking to evolve into something better.

You seem to be the one caught up in the religious programming. Either you live a fruitful life or you don't, and whether of not you think this is the kingdom of heaven is irrelevant.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Rational intelligent people who choose to live in communities for the many advantages do not live in fear. Why should they. Certainly not the people I know. Sure, they have worries, but that is not the same as living in fear. Most people don't allow their egos to control them. This is a false claim.

They live in these communities because of their original fear. They want the safety of belonging. Living in fear does not mean you are having a panic attack 24/7. It just means your life is hindered by your negative emotions because you are afraid of something, be it distinguishable or not.

What you call "not as good as it could be" is what I refer to as things could always be better. Maybe you are a glass half empty guy, but I am not.

"could always be better" is synonymous with "things are never as good as they could be", regardless of the perspective, the meaning i the same.

I don't see the world as black or white in a digital perspective, I see the world as subjective, analog.

My life is not perfect, and I have no desire to seek perfection. I think that is an unrealistic dream. Perfection, should it be obtained, IMO is stagnation. I desire to continue to grow and evolve.

I seek better for everyone, including the many people I love.

I'm very curious as to why you are under the assumption that seeing everything in the world would cause you not to be able to grow or evolve. When you can accept everything as just 'being what it is and nothing more, you live in constant happiness. You have no worries, no anxieties, no fears, no concerns. Everything just is. Everything is acceptable. You don't need to be in control. You just let the Universe deal you your cards and you accept them without judging them as good or bad. When this is accomplished you have wasted no mental resources and can devote all of them to growing and evolving even more spiritually. Do not let the semantics tie you down. Perfection is not a term I am using to describe something as being another dualistic form of 'good'. I am just describing the fact that everything just is. It is not 'black and white' as you have acknowledge, it is grey.

You have the desire to grow and evolve. That is just saying to yourself "I am not growing nor evolving but I wish that I were, I desire it." Instead, just grow and evolve. Do not desire it, just do it.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

im interested to hear how mental illness fits into your delusion.

is their divine flow being plugged or interupted? Or maybe conciousness is just a bunch of blinking neurons?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

People live in communities for many reasons, security being but a small portion of those reasons.

I don't know why you are so obsessed with fear. Fear is an emotion that serves its purpose during those times when it is rational to be afraid, but very few people live in fear, and those that do are suffering from a form of psychosis.

Most people work jobs because it affords them the things that they want, living indoors, having a private bathroom, driving a car that goes a hundred miles and hour or more, TV, all those other material possessions and activities that earning money in a modern civilization allows people to enjoy.

There are many people whose lives are hindered by negative emotions, not everyone succeeds in their goals in life. That is not fear, it is called depression. Many personally don't care for suburbia and see a great many problems with our current way of living, but they don't live in fear. We all get depressed at times, emotional cycles are normal, and those who don't get depressed, IMO, are only fooling themselves, or must live a very, very boring existence.

I wouldn't give up my highs to avoid my lows. You have to be willing to fail in order to succeed. If you want to label me a bohemian, go ahead.

That things could always be better is a good thing, IMO, but that isn't completely true, there have been plenty of times in my life which I don't think could have been better, and I certainly wouldn't trade those times for some inner peace BS. Things can often be as good as they can be. The more accurate statement should be that things could be better, over all, there is always, in general, room for improvement.

I'm very curious as to why you are under the assumption that seeing everything in the world would cause you not to be able to grow or evolve. When you can accept everything as just 'being what it is and nothing more, you live in constant happiness.

I don't see how you came to the conclusion that I think my experiences "would cause you(me) not to be able to grow or evolve".

I have stated just the opposite many times. How can you make this claim if you have read what I have written? How can we have a discussion if you don't bother to read what I post.

I accept everything as being what it is, but that doesn't mean I don't want to make changes. You post about people living in fear, so obviously you want to make changes in this world.

Just because you "accept everything as just 'being what it is", doesn't mean you understand the being of that existence. All you know is your own perspective, and only what you can learn about other beings. Those who claim different, are in opinion, either charlatans or living in delusion.

While you see more people as living in fear, I see more people living in self delusion. In my philosophy, which I see as very similar as to what is posted in the Op, being able to use and control one's emotions, passions, and developing a close relationship with the truth is critical to evolving into a better person, a better being, and self delusion screws all of that up.

If you follow the clues in my signature you can find where I have put out my personal philosophy about living.

You have the desire to grow and evolve. That is just saying to yourself "I am not growing nor evolving but I wish that I were, I desire it." Instead, just grow and evolve. Do not desire it, just do it.

Desire and passion are necessary to do anything. Sure, you can just do it, without passion, but you aren't going to do a whole lot of anything. Some people just do it, and some people do it with style, and there is huge difference between the two. I prefer to to do things with passion, because I know the difference, and the personal growth and evolution is tremendously greater.

edit on 10-5-2012 by poet1b because: add last quote and reply.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think others who have posted later have proven my point about desire being dead in the scheme of enlightenment.

I too used to desire many things. I was not happy desiring, i was not happy while on my way to fulfill my desires, and when they were eventually fulfilled, i was either still unhappy, or if i was happy, it was fleeting.

My own experience in life, proved to me that "desire" based life is dead. Interestingly, Buddhism and tons of philosophers talk about this exact same realization.

Since then i have minimized desire and this has lead to a sort of inner freedom, contentment, and happiness.

You guys go on with all your "disiring". Ill pass on this one

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I think your post proves that you are deluded. You try to take a victory lap, when your position has been repeated proven wrong again and again.

What you call enlightenment, I call boredom, been there done that. Just because you pursue your way of thinking doesn't make your way better than everyone else's, or make your way the only way, or the superior way.

The world has been shaped into a better place by men of passion, far more than men who think they are enlightened.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I love to philosophize.
Desire... mmm. It hurts so much, and yet I'm bored without it. The problem comes when I obtain my object of desire and it turns out to be an anticlimax. The fun part of vacations are about to include the week before they even start!
I do think that possessiveness is a big source of strife, but no one denies that. It creates stress, and god help one if the object of possession is a person. Captivity is demeaning and even seems to break the spirit a little.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Desire, doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

Human beings come in to the world and immediately show desires for many things. I have two children, and they desire a lot of things - but my efforts are to teach them to control their desires to a certain extent. The other thing I teach them is reason to help them achieve their desires.

Having infinite desires can make a human being sick... Chasing after too many things can be a problem.

A passion evolves from a simpler desire. However, passion indicates a stronger interest in the particular subject of interest.

Indeed, I believe that people hold off on desiring too many things, so that they can focus on what makes them passionate. If you have too many projects on your hand (for instance), you may end up not being able to allocate enough time to any one of them, or compromising on the results of all of them. It is perhaps better to select fewer to work on, than trying to achieve everything in the world.

For those who choose "enlightenment", they purposely choose to focus on fewer achievements, and increase the quality of the few they achieve - it isn't a crime.

One has to distribute one's efforts and time between everything one desires... In doing so, during one's lifetime, one attempts to know oneself - so that a balance is achieved between what you wish to have as challenges, what you achieve, and the quality of the outcome you wish to achieve on each project - and each person's abilities are unique.

People argue superiority or inferiority, when each person treats his/her cup of tea differently. We have been given our entire lives to discover ourselves. Why should one solution fit all?

Limiting oneself to works of passion (in addition to the other mundane things we have to do as part of our daily routines) is a good thing during stressful times... it certainly helps reduce boredom. And boy do we have stressful times coming around the bend.
edit on 11-5-2012 by sensibleSenseless because: added thoughts

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Communities, I feel show the power of many people working together. There is significant achievement that the cave man has shown, since he became a farmer, and a societal settler.

Living in a community can have a great many benefits: Learning from others in the community. The option to specialize in a field of endeavour. Communicating as social animals are wont to do. Selective choosing of the members of the opposite sex. Exploring the joys of sharing with others. Being supported in one's weaker times.

Not that living on one's own doesn't have its attractions.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by dominicus

I think your post proves that you are deluded. You try to take a victory lap, when your position has been repeated proven wrong again and again.

What you call enlightenment, I call boredom, been there done that. Just because you pursue your way of thinking doesn't make your way better than everyone else's, or make your way the only way, or the superior way.

The world has been shaped into a better place by men of passion, far more than men who think they are enlightened.

I'm sorry but this is just such a egotistical and mean spirited post. You came to defend a thread called, "My New Philosophy", a thread made to announce to the world some new view on life. Others saw some pretty obvious and well known holes with this philosophy and pointed them out in an attempt to help you and others, which put you and others on the defensive. It is not their opinion that desire leads to suffering, it is a fact for all to see. Desire and suffering feed each other. Passion is the same, it can lead to non-violent movements like Gandhi's, or fascist attempts to bring about world order like Hitler. Hitler was every bit as passionate as Gandhi was. To say, "The world has been shaped into a better place by men of passion, far more than men who think they are enlightened.", is a statement that has many holes in it, as was just pointed out.

But how can you see anything when you have built philosophical walls around yourself? How can we have an authentic discussion when you refuse to put your chips (views) on the poker table? You want to play poker and you have even pushed all your chips into the pile by making big statements about life, but you don't want to take your hand off the chips, thus the game can't continue. There is a chance you might lose all your chips, and so what! That is a part of the game.
edit on 11-5-2012 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Forget desire. Desire and fear come as a package.
Choose contentment instead.
youtu.be...

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

I'm sorry but this is just such a egotistical and mean spirited post.

It is your post that is egotistical and mean spirited. People in glass houses should not throw rocks.

Others saw some pretty obvious and well known holes with this philosophy and pointed them out...

Others posted their opinions, based on false premises, which has been shown in the discussion. Then you come along and claim yourselves to be some sort of lord master judge, which you are not, in an arrogant manner, and I pointed out how deluded, and frankly pompous your post was.

Desire and suffering feed each other.

No, they do not. Lack of passion, can result in an inability to satisfy desires that leads to suffering, but there are many other reasons why people suffer. There are natural disasters, diseases, and all other sorts of events that cause suffering in this world. It isn't passion that causes people to do bad things, start wars and all that, it is arrogance, and falling into a life of vice. Passion is neither good nor evil, it is potential.

See what I did here? I took your claim and using logic and reason, proved how what you claimed was false, as opposed to your method, of making statements and claiming them to the truth, without backing your claims by logic or reason.

I am not the person who has built walls around themselves, you are.

My bet is on the table, and you are trying to claim to have won, without matching my bet, or showing your cards.

Like the charlatan you are, you cry foul and claim to be offended when your ruse is pointed out.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I think you should go through the last couple of pages on this thread and notice what opinions got stars and which did not. Public opinion says it is you who is deluded.
edit on 12-5-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Yeah, you can not back your opinions with logic or reason, so you claim the paltry few stars put up prove you are right.

At you.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The reason some people associate desire and passion with fear, is because it takes courage to act on ones desires and passions, and so those lacking in courage fear desire and passion.

It is one of the major faults with Eastern philosophy.

To have true passions, true convictions, one has to have great courage.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Logic and reason exist because of fear. Love does not need logic or reason.
Logic is based on not knowing but thinking and reasoning.
Knowing is knowing. Knowing is prior to logic, logic takes time to work out, knowing is instant but without the symbols needed to make logic.
Believing and thinking is not knowing and that not knowing makes you search for the answer, it makes you insecure. That searching is fear. Searching is desire, wanting is believing you are not enough.
edit on 12-5-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Passion and conviction is usually for some 'thing', like a belief or a group, or a team or a nation. This is the cause of war. If you are talking about passion to find the truth, to find yourself then yes go for it, but don't look for yourself in 'things'.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join