It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new philosophy - Volism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Yes this is great! This really makes life seem like a game. I recommend a book called The 48 Laws of Power. It teaches a volism type approach and says that you just have to realize that everyone is guided by there quest for power because it is godlike and just about everything they do is in support of that. So if that's the way it's going to be, you just have to ride the waves and play the game the best you can and at your own moral standards. Hopefully good.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
sorry to say, but your "volism" fails miserably under a philosophical microscope.

Molester "desire" to molest. Killers desire to kill. Rapists desire to rape. The list goes on and on and just because of that premise, to allow desire in everyone to occur naturally, is ultimately a failed philosophy.

I for one do not understand how you came to this conclusion without having intimate knowledge of what it is to molest, kill, or rape. Do molesters desire to molest? or do they desire the sexual gratification that is found therein? Do murderers desire to murder? Or is the act of murder the result of another desire? Perhaps to rid oneself of an individual they find insufferable or to remove someone they consider threatening. All effects(murder, rape etc.) have causes (desires that beget them). And if anyone action can be causeless then it stands to reason that all actions are causeless in which case debate or philosophy in any form is rendered useless in the unrestrained, uncohered infinity

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

Lol that wouldn't be letting live XD

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I disagree, it's about how much gear you have, how big your mount is and how many raids you attend every day

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think you are on the right track. After all, one of our divine gifts is the gift of creation - bringing something we desire into the world.

"Krishna reveals something else as well. He tells Arjuna that every soul on earth, whether or not that soul remembers it, desires something that is impossible to manifest. This one desire acts as a fuel for all desires. Every soul desires to be one with Krishna, even while remaining in this illusion! That means that each one of us desires to be a supreme master of all that is. From the meekest to the boldest, from those who profess ego-less devotion to those who assert themselves controlling dynasties, corporations, or just mastering poses in yoga, all of us are here because we desire to be one with God, the creator, sustainer and destroyer of all.

Clearly, no individual is capable of taking on the role of the supreme Lord. Krishna realizes this and knows what every soul wants at heart; so to accommodate them all, he gives every sentient form the ability to focus and defocus possibility, which has much to do with the sense that we can control events in our lives. Recognizing also that each one will eventually see the futility inherent in the illusion of control, Krishna nevertheless allows each one to die and reincarnate over and over again, enabling the illusion to persist as long as each being remains enchanted by it."

The Yogo of Time Travel by Fred Alan Wolf, PH.D.

The important thing to take from this is, number one, our ability to create is a divine one. I think that it is important to be able to create while not interfering with others ability to create.

This passage also talks about the higher form of being one with Krishna, and how this is done by being devoid of desire - but in the meantime, it's okay to be entranced by your own little world that you create for a while. I guess eventually you just get bored of it. I myself, however, have been quite content creating my own world for some time now. It is also nice to join forces with someone else to create a joint world.

Another thing I will note is that some people persist on believing this ability to create doesn't exist. Those people live unhealthy lives, and their philosophy is a plague that must be stopped. Luckily, some fringe scientists basing their work on quantum physics and string theory are out there, right now, scientifically proving its existence so those people can shut their mouths.

If you want me to add one thing to your philosophy that will help it, I would suggest basing right and wrong on a scale of healthy to unhealthy life experiences for yourself (and for all), and reaching the full potential of yourself (and of all), if this is desired.
edit on 8-5-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Desire is life. It protects us from boredom. It gives meaning to life. Everything is conscious desire. Flowers desire sunlight and water. People desire food, water, and shelter. The wind desires to blow. The sun desires to shine. The Earth desires to bear life. Desire is the conscious energy that flows throughout the universe.

A problem occurs when a person interferes with another person's desire. This is when bad things like killing, stealing, rape, and enslavement (controlling others) happen. This is, I believe, to be the source of all evil. It is the suppression of another's divine desire.

I used to think too much. I used to measured life in happiness and I used to think about my choices and which one "really" makes me happiest. That would confuse me when I couldn't find the most "happiest" choice.

I used to focus on this happy positivity because of the New Age beliefs.

Now, thinking in terms of desire, life is much easier. I stay true to my nature. I feel more free. I express myself. I allow others to do what they desire without trying to control them.

Every time I make a new philosophy, I focus on universals. I focus on the basics which are intrinsic to the universe.

I would like you to consider adding one thing to your philosophy. Consider each of your desires and the personal outcome of achieving them. I may desire to be rich but the time lost becoming rich may hinder my ability to obtain the desires that matter most.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I see passion as the higher level of desire.

Hunger is desire, passion is cooking up a delicious meal, which goes far beyond mere hunger.

Passion is what feeds poets and painters, philosophers and scientists. Passion gives us the drive we need to do more than merely survive, but to build great things, to do great works.

"Peace, don't wish it on me". Circle of Iron www.youtube.com...

Sure, there are times when peace is greatly desired, and it is good to have for certain periods, but this world is designed for struggle. Struggle is how we learn, how we gain from our imperfections.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

truth is absolute superiority, ur individual freedom mean mostly to realize it, this is what u r calling passion drive

this is stupid while since all as any is of absolute intelligence then u r a liar

it is stupid bc, when truth is absolute superiority so freedom must b just freedom and never that nor realizing it

stupid

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

Truth is completely distinct from passion.

First you must have the passion, in order to seek out the truth.

To accomplish anything in this world, you must have both, the passion to make things happen, and the truth to know the path towards making those things happen.

Passion is potential, Truth is current, together they are true power.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Hey guys,

We live in a relative world - things cannot be proven 100% because we do not know 100% of everything. Yet, we accept some of the things we can observe within our limitations as truth. It is a means to survive and the acceptance of inability to comprehend the infinite.

A perfect philosophy is hard to come by... it is elusive at best - since we cannot deal in absolutes. It is a mistake to believe that we have understanding of such things.

As for philosophies - different people will state different philosophies at different points in time - it is a view of the motives by which one guides one's life towards an ever elusive ideal state - and the "view" or what I like to call "frame of reference" (borrowed from Einstein's theory of relativity), changes from time to time (and it needs to, to achieve balance). Every one is allowed to be unique in their description - this is what makes people special.

But it is troublesome times we live in. Human beings have to try and understand their role from the bigger picture. It is easy to say that one must act ideally, but if the bigger picture is not right, it becomes difficult for individuals to chase after ideal motives. Take for instance: the poor man who steals food for survival vs. the rich man who steals for acquisition.

I will continue this...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Your philosophy, while it sounds Eastern, bears a similarity to Randian Objectivism. Ayn Rand said that "Morality pertains only to the sphere of man’s free will—only to those actions which are open to his choice."

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manula
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

HEDONISM? This is not hedonism, this is the glory of creation.
When you want to do something, when you want to act upon reality, changing something, you are creating, that's what being a creator is.
Examples: You want to write a poem - creation
You want to feel good - creation
You want to give a hug - creation
You want to be polite with someone - creation
You want to clean your house - creation
Every action of ours create something new.
The will to create is the force that support and justifies existence.
If we refuse to want to act, we refuse to create.
I just created this post, because i wanted to share my thoughts about this.

Upon your logic, every lifestyle is about the glory of creation. So my statement stands as it is.

Examples:
If you want to kill - creation
If you want to rape - creation
If you want to be rude with someone - creation
If you want to destroy your house - creation (creation of destruction, the Tai ji; never ending cycle)
Every action of ours creates something new.
The will to create is the force that supports and justifies existence.
If we refuse to want to act, we refuse to create.

I'm not really sure what you are getting at here. Regardless of creation, seeking after nothing but desires is hedonistic. There is nothing about having no desires that postulates having no action. Even the lifestyle of "Wu wei" (Literally: no action) takes action, they merely just do not resist. They go with the flow.

Acts become more beneficial to others when you have no desires. You are no longer acting for yourself but acting for others.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Buddha said:

"Mind is irrelevant."

Therefore desire is irrelevant.

The usual man is satisfied with emptiness, the
extraordinary man is satisfied with desire itself.-Da

Adi Da:

Epilogue: The Man of Understanding (the God-Man)
The man of understanding is not entranced. He is not elsewhere. He is not having an experience. He is not passionless and inoffensive. He is awake. He is present.

He knows no obstruction in the form of mind, identity, differentiation and desire. He uses mind, identity, differentiation and desire.

He is passionate. His quality is an offense to those who are entranced, elsewhere, contained in the mechanics of experience, asleep, living as various forms of identity, separation and dependence. He is acceptable only to those who understand.

He may appear no different from any other man. How could he appear otherwise? There is nothing by which to appear except the qualities of life. He may appear to have learned nothing. He may seem to be addicted to every kind of foolishness and error. How could it be otherwise? Understanding is not a different communication than the ordinary. There is only the ordinary. There is no special and exclusive communication that is the truth. There is no exclusive state of truth. But there is the understanding of the ordinary.

Therefore, the man of understanding cannot be found. He cannot be followed. He can only be understood as the ordinary. He is not spiritual. He is not religious. He is not philosophical. He is not moral. He is not fastidious, lean and lawful. He always appears to be the opposite of what you are.

He always seems to sympathize with what you deny. Therefore, at times and over time he appears as every kind of persuasion. He is not consistent. He has no image. At times he denies. At times he asserts. At times he asserts what he has already denied. At times he denies what he has already asserted. He is not useful. His teaching is every kind of nonsense. His wisdom is vanished. Altogether, that is his wisdom.

At last he represents no truth at all. Therefore, his living coaxes everyone only to understand. His existence denies every truth, every path by which men depend on certain truths, certain experiences, certain simulations of freedom and enjoyment. He is a seducer, a madman, a hoax, a libertine, a fool, a moralist, a sayer of truths, a bearer of all experience, a righteous knave, a prince, a child, an old one, an ascetic, a god. He demonstrates the futility of all things. Therefore, he makes understanding the only possibility. And understanding makes no difference at all. Except it is reality, which was already the case.

Heartless one, Narcissus, friend, loved one, he weeps for you to understand. After all of this, why haven't you understood? The only thing you have not done is understanding.
You have seen everything, but you do not understand. Therefore, the man of understanding leaps for joy that you have already understood. He looks at the world and sees that every one and every thing has always understood. He sees that there is only understanding. Thus, the man of understanding is constantly happy with you. He is overwhelmed with happiness. He says to you: See how there is only this world of perfect enjoyment, where every one is happy, and every thing is blissful. His heart is always tearful with the endless happiness of the world.

He has grasped it, but no one is interested. He is of interest to no one. He is fascinating. He is unnoticed. Since no one understands, how could they notice him? Because there is only understanding, he is beloved, and no one comes to see him. Because there is only truth, he is likely to become famous. Since there is only joy, he will not be remembered. Because you have already understood, you find it necessary to touch his hand. Since you love so much and are not understood, you find it possible to touch his ears. He smiles at you. You notice it. Everything has already died. This is the other world.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

You are calling it hedonistic as if that is a bad thing. Hedonism means seeing pleasure as the highest good. It says nothing about whether that pleasure is for self or others...

Everyone should be able to go after what they want in life as long as they are not messing up with someone else's free-will. If you believe otherwise you are promoting unnecessary control, conformity, slavery...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

You are calling it hedonistic as if that is a bad thing. Hedonism means seeing pleasure as the highest good. It says nothing about whether that pleasure is for self or others...

Everyone should be able to go after what they want in life as long as they are not messing up with someone else's free-will. If you believe otherwise you are promoting unnecessary control, conformity, slavery...

Nay, I am calling it hedonistic as if that is what it is.

Everyone is able to go after what they want in life, regardless of going against someone's free will. No one is arguing about the ability to have what you desire, but why do you desire it?

Eckhart Tolle
Most people's lives are run by desire and fear. Desire is the need to add something to yourself in order to be yourself more fully. All fear is the fear of losing something and thereby becoming diminished and being less. These two movements obscure the fact that Being cannot be given or taken away. Being in its fullness is already within you, Now.

Osho
1.The ego can exist only with goals, ambitions, desires.

2.Ordinarily all desires exist in the second state of consciousness, the dreaming state. Desire is a dream and to work for a dream is doomed from the very beginning, because a dream can never become real. Even if sometimes you feel it has become almost real, it never becomes real — a dream by nature is empty. It has no substance in it.

Swami Sivananda
A desire arises in the mind. It is satisfied immediately another comes. In the interval which separates two desires a perfect calm reigns in the mind. It is at this moment freed from all thought, love or hate. Complete peace equally reigns between two mental waves.

The desires are just a manifestation of your Ego's false sense of identification. The ego needs a sense of self to exist. It needs a titles. "I am a guitar player, I am a philosopher, I am a writer, I am an adult." It needs desires. "I desire this so that I can be this or have that."

"I desire happiness."? Don't desire happiness, just be happiness.

How helpless we are, like netted birds, when we are caught by desire! -Belva Plain

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Nay, I am calling it hedonistic as if that is what it is.

Everyone is able to go after what they want in life, regardless of going against someone's free will. No one is arguing about the ability to have what you desire, but why do you desire it?

Let me rephrase: Everyone should should be allowed to go after what they want in life UNLESS it involves forcing someone, or their property, to be involved against their will.

People desire stuff because that brings the excitement in life. Without desire you just flow with life, with desire you can actually have the thrill of getting to a destination. If your desire can not come to fruition, at least you enjoyed the excitement.

Eckhart Tolle
Most people's lives are run by desire and fear. Desire is the need to add something to yourself in order to be yourself more fully. All fear is the fear of losing something and thereby becoming diminished and being less. These two movements obscure the fact that Being cannot be given or taken away. Being in its fullness is already within you, Now.

Osho
1.The ego can exist only with goals, ambitions, desires.

2.Ordinarily all desires exist in the second state of consciousness, the dreaming state. Desire is a dream and to work for a dream is doomed from the very beginning, because a dream can never become real. Even if sometimes you feel it has become almost real, it never becomes real — a dream by nature is empty. It has no substance in it.

Swami Sivananda
A desire arises in the mind. It is satisfied immediately another comes. In the interval which separates two desires a perfect calm reigns in the mind. It is at this moment freed from all thought, love or hate. Complete peace equally reigns between two mental waves.

To be without a desire, is to be a zombie, walking aimlessly without direction. If you want to be blown randomly in the wind, that is your choice, but others choose to have a sense of purpose and direction in life.

The desires are just a manifestation of your Ego's false sense of identification. The ego needs a sense of self to exist. It needs a titles. "I am a guitar player, I am a philosopher, I am a writer, I am an adult." It needs desires. "I desire this so that I can be this or have that."

Well, that is one perspective of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is talked about in my original post.

"I desire happiness."? Don't desire happiness, just be happiness.

Why shouldn't people desire happiness? Doesn't a meal taste best when you are hungry?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Let me rephrase: Everyone should should be allowed to go after what they want in life UNLESS it involves forcing someone, or their property, to be involved against their will.

As I said, everyone is allowed.

People desire stuff because that brings the excitement in life. Without desire you just flow with life, with desire you can actually have the thrill of getting to a destination. If your desire can not come to fruition, at least you enjoyed the excitement.

You speak from inexperience. As I have said, the Ego desires, not 'people'. The Ego, like any species, has its main animalistic goal, and that is to survive. It desires things that can help it identify itself; create entitlement.

The last line you wrote is important. "If you do not meet the goals of your desire, at least you enjoyed the excitement." ...How about always being happy and excited without having the displeasure of not obtaining your desires? You claim that without desire you "just flow with life" and with desire you can actually have the thrill of getting to a destination. Yet... flowing is a form of transportation, and a joyous one at that. Don't knock it until you've tried it. It is such a thrill to go from point A to point B with no cares in the world, truly free from any mental limitations.

Why shouldn't people desire happiness? Doesn't a meal taste best when you are hungry?

Happiness is not an obtainable object. Can you by the pure emotion of happiness? Can you reach out and grab the emotion of happiness? What does happiness look like? Happiness only comes from within yourself. You do not obtain happiness, you either are happy or you are not. If you desire happiness, you obviously do not have it. If you are happy, you do not need to desire. Therefore I say, do not desire happiness, just be happy.
edit on 9-5-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace.

Boredom is a first world problem

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

The concept of the ego is just as abstract as a dream.

The base desires are physical realities. Thirst and hunger are real. If you do not drink or eat you will die. Fear is a rational reaction to danger, and a good sense of fear is important.

The difference between the animal and those who think, is that they don't let desire and emotion control them. The intelligent being has control over their emotions, their desires, and their passions. They use their emotions, desires, and passion to their advantage, to give them the drive necessary to do things in this world, make things happen.

Every living creature kills in order to survive, even plants, for territory, for resources, for nutrients, for sunshine, and for self defense. The struggle for survival is inherent to our nature. Rational intelligent beings should recognize this, and act accordingly.

Competition for the objects of our desires is reality. However, there is healthy competition, and unhealthy competition. Rational intelligent people choose to live in communities because of the many advantages living in a community provides. Living in a community requires living within a generally accepted set of rules, in order to establish communal trust, which is the basis of all morality. To kill is nature, to murder is a gross violation of communal trust, because if you neighbor murders your other neighbor, that neighbor then becomes a threat to everyone, not only to each individual, but also to those they love, so the murderer must be removed from the community. Healthy competition is constructive, where competitors compete within a loosely defined set of rules based on a concept of fairness. Unhealthy competition is destructive, where a competitor or group of competitors concentrate only on winning, irregardless of the consequences, irregardless of what they destroy.

To allow your desires, emotions, and passions to ignore right or wrong is to choose to live like an animal, which doesn't have the higher level of understanding to live a better life where existence is less about survival, and more about figuring out what you want out of life.

If your journey is for a good day at the beach, and you never make to the beach, but still enjoy the journey, than not obtaining your desire is irrelevant. However, if the purpose of the journey is to find a source of water, than not obtaining your goal is a very serious problem. There are very real needs for goals.

Hedonism, life for the pursuit of net pleasure, most certainly needs to recognize good and evil, if one is ever to succeed in their goals.

Happiness and pleasure are both obtainable states, it is just a matter of recognizing when you have achieved those states. Certainly happiness and pleasure are more obtainable than bliss or eternal peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join