It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new philosophy - Volism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
There is always an attachment to an outcome in the gap between what is and what "ought" to be, and the human being is a wellspring of desire, the only question being it's aim and direction. "Desire" doesn't automatically imply base instincts or animal nature. Most desire what is good, and that which is the best for themselves and for one and all.

When Jesus said "what does it profit a man to gain the whole world but lose his own soul?", that was a repudiation, I believe, of Buddhist thought taken to a nihilistic extreme. In other words he's saying, of what use is it to become one with everything, but lose one's own passion and essential character ie: one's desire. He then proceeded to be true to himself, and without wavering, stood for what is right, just, and true, which he likened to doing the will of God as the will to love and to pursue the very best that is possible in all circumstances, even in the face of the worst of human sin and evil.

To negate all desire simply as the root of all attachment and thus, suffering, has, as an unfortunate side effect, the negation of that which makes us most human.

There is always something to do, and something we want to realize both for ourselves and others.

I think the object is to harmonize our desire with the best or what might be called Quality (with a captial Q), and then our innermost heart's desire IS synonymous with the "will of God" and that's true happiness, not sitting on a mountaintop refusing to eat rice so as to be liberated into absolute nothingness, which is absurd, and filled with suffering of the worst kind, unneccessary suffering!

"I came so that you would have life to the full, even to overflowing!"
~ JC

edit on 7-5-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

First of all, the brain gives the desire to eat food when the body is hungry. Second, the body would not "need" for if it weren't for the DESIRE to stay alive.

Hunger is an impulse, not a desire. It is a function, not a desire. The stomach, lacking food, grumbles & pangs, which the mind then comes into the picture after a timed delay, to claim these impulses as hunger, therefore "I am hungry and should eat."

I think you should re-examine the definition of the words "need" & "desire".

No, freedom is being able to CHOOSE, and that can only happen with preference and desire. Without desire, there is no preference and there is no individuality. That quote is the reason why people suffer. Instead of enjoying the unfolding up to the goal, they won't be happy until they actually get to the goal.

So I can either go with "Volism" & continue w/ Desires. Or I can read about the teachings of Buddhism, Mysticsm, & certain philosophers who have been writing for this subject for over 2000 years and pretty much all agree that there is such a thing as "Enlightenment" and that "desire" causes suffering, which means we are called to be freed from desire.

Sorry man, but volism falls down to what some of the grandest works say.

The DESIRE is the adventure. The DESIRE is the trip. The GOAL is the END of the desire - the END of the adventure - the END of the excitement. As new Goals come up, you can choose to ENJOY the desire or you can choose to try to hurry up and get rid of it to get to the goal, ENJOYING the desire is most fun though.

LIFE is the adventure. Life has times where there is desire and where there isn't. All of nature and existence simply IS, without an desire and prior to desire LIFE IS!!!

Whatever role you choose to play in your exciting adventure (desire) to your goal, and if you don't get your goal, at least you had the thrill of the journey (desire).

Well then my desire to rid myself of all desires. To reach Enlightenment, and on the road there, I have seen that desire is Illusion and in a sense so are we. To transcend selfishness and desire, is the Ultimate Freedom.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm glad you're thinking philosophically. Keep thinking, you're doing alright.

People aren't trying to be mean or discouraging they are are just telling it how it is. I think instead of being sensitive and getting defensive/upset with those who bring up counter points, you should embrace what they are saying and learn from it. It's healthy philosophical to intellectually debate the possibilities as multiple brains bringing up differing points allows for a higher outcome.

I also recommend you do some more research on philosophy from different ages and parts of the world, you can start to make your own philosophies once you have a good base. The age of the Internet allows for you to take advantage of what others have built on for thousands of years from your own home.

Good site for old books: sacred-texts.com...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manula
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

Existence and creation wouldn't exist without the will to do it!!

existence dont exist, it is what exist that perceive objective existence from its own reality with
existence is free like an object is not objective an object is free
any is always exclusively an absolute fact so any relative meaning it is smthg else
it proves all the nonsense u might come up with, creation is the opposite move against existence
showing that the will is to exist instead of existence rights

existence or what exist is never related to any concept of will, since by definition what exist is the constant objective fact so absolute reality or absolute free still present

it is ridiculous to assume that everyone would want smthg, or crave to exist, when obviously survival is humanity trait reasons and not positive wills nor ambitions
as it is obvious that conscious keep meaning its freedom out of existence as also awareness drive is to avoid reality

when u believe in one god, then u prove being a liar in saying that what look existing is of willing to, by definition one god is one will as there is noone else at all
while if god exist then u cant know its freedom so u cant b related to any concept of willing

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I dig the OP's train of thought. In the process of reading the following responses, it seems to me like a lot of you got bogged down in semantics and literal definitions though, particularly with the word 'desire'.

Now I'm not sure what flight-path the OP took in fleshing out their philosophical concept, but I know for my self, tying together thoughts fluidly using loosely defined terminology helps the imagination expand out.

I've come to attain a similar philosophy to the OP, but in place of a defined concept of 'desire' is a visual analogy where I guess 'desire' would be a bubble or sphere... or even a miniature pocket world... encompassing the entirety of one's goals and aspirations.
You could say that the multitude of these 'spheres' that exist are constantly revolving around one another... bumping, joining, or bursting. I suppose that for those that merely wanted to coexist with other spheres, the idea would be to either avoid the bumping and bursting and be left to your own little world, or simply revolve around/actively join your bubble to other consenting globes to form combined goals/aspirations/desires... creating, in essence, clusters or super spheres of 'desire'. This would be couples coming together in relationships, friends creating bonds, organizations, committees, religions, etc.
The flip side would be the forcing of cohesion. this would be any person or group of people demanding that other spheres join or be assimilated for their sake. I imagine this to cause malformed clusters/sphere shapes... or bursting.

I understand the idea of human's as beings of desire, because I think it really is fitting. If human's did not desire, they would not create... and thus experience nothing. What kind'a fun would that be? Lol, this thought alone keeps me from really digging on Buddhism. After giving that philosophy some thought, it just seems pointless.

Although, since it is assumed that lack of desire leads to lack of suffering, would that make my neat little analogy worthless. Lol, I haven't reached Nirvana or any sort of prolonged enlightenment, so I wouldn't know... but I think both the OP's concept and my own are both interesting and helpful ways to look at the world and move forward from there...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Great post OP....

I guess we all as human will have desire... because without desire there is no purpose in our life... I have read some post that we ought to serve other before ourselves... I definitely agree with this statement, is just there should be a sense of balance of serving other and yourself... Another thing is that the context on how you serve other does it violate some value? I bet we all have a line that we draw when things goes beyond what we commonly accept that's for sure, just how far we draw the line?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Nice

Will
Intention
DESIRE

These different terms each indicate the conscious (and subconscious) direction of sentience toward states of being. It is an essential quality to what we call being human!
The problem arises from the mass chaotic world having catalyzed the degradation of community, enabling derelict desires without regard for fellow sentient being (yes - this includes animals!!).
Buddhas observations apply to the cessation of suffering resulting from certain desires...not all desire; and not the joy attained with those harmonious desires.

We would all do much better to listen to our healthy desires...our goals...in consideration of the larger human collective. This will guide us beyond the shifting thought/emotion patterns - and indeed - will be the harbinger of a new era of connection and community!!!
We must only choose - desire it!!!

thankyouArpgme
VOLITION ~ Volism

∞LOVE∞

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Read "A Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde if you want to know what a life of unbridled desire and hedonism can really lead to.

Desire is a mechanism, a pleasure principle which gives us the incentive to survive - eat, reproduce, sleep, seek pleasure, avoid pain, etc. If it weren't for the pleasure incentive, who knows if our species would have mustered the wherewithal to hunt food, build a home, deliver babies, etc. Though, our ancestors didn't *usually* have the liberty of indulgence.

Desire unrestrained becomes something else altogether. Something tragically, achingly, and urgently unfulfilling.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandomEsotericScreenname
reply to post by arpgme

I think that Buddha said that desire is cause for pain and suffering.

If you desire nothing there is no need to be unhappy.

There's the rub. The ego loves to desire entertainment. Boredom is another word for ego not getting its entertainment fix. but when you attenuate the ego, gently teach it that it has no power of its own, and put it in its proper function (provider of variety in experience in this 3-d virtual reality), you can zen-out with the best of them.

Random thought:
Buddha kept no journal.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I wouldn't necessarily call this a "new" philosophy. This is just Hedonism.

A problem with following strictly desires is that your desires are endless. You will surely be able to satisfy your desires but not all of them. You will never result in absolute satisfaction. Henceforth, if you always have desires you will die unsatisfied.
edit on 8-5-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

HEDONISM? This is not hedonism, this is the glory of creation.
When you want to do something, when you want to act upon reality, changing something, you are creating, that's what being a creator is.
Examples: You want to write a poem - creation
You want to feel good - creation
You want to give a hug - creation
You want to be polite with someone - creation
You want to clean your house - creation
Every action of ours create something new.
The will to create is the force that support and justifies existence.
If we refuse to want to act, we refuse to create.
I just created this post, because i wanted to share my thoughts about this.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Manula

if action is to creation drive then u cant share any, moronity is a cool word

to realize its own individual free existence as constant aware objectively for what existence is absolutely real, is simply meaning to stay tuned with what is constantly going on, since u by definition as aware still dont go but u r not off

now moronity is what conclude that since he is alone in realizing it then why not realizing the pretense of maximum positive constant reality
it is moronity bc it cant realize the least of being alone as true, so there cant b any change nor positive invention to what the awareness is always about

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Flagged!

Brilliant post, less of the doom and gloom and more threads like this one!

Thanks

K

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

So if I desire to kill someone that desires to die than its cool? Your philosophy is in it's infancy and needs to dramatically mature. Desire in it's simplest form can effect anyone negatively or positively for that matter, it is childish and naive. Please seek a higher conscious on this earth, for desire is why we are in deep Shiite.

P.S. When you do find a higher consciousness, let me know so I can join in on the fun.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

I agree with you sir.

To desire is letting the stimulus from the external and internal environment control your behavior.
When the body needs energy an untrained mind desires food, and if he does not get that food the emotional frustration will cause him to suffer.

The desires are controlled by the lower cortical areas of the brain while the Cortex(telencephalon) is what makes you conscious. It isn't about you not wanting to desire, it's about just being(observing)/neutral to any stimulus. It's about eliminating the fear of not being capable of fulfilling your bodies desire. In stead take it as it comes, if not possible then so be it.

"I desire to be fearless", or "I desire to have happiness". As soon as you desire you will never be in the so called "now", it's a vicious circle. One simply just needs to let it all go, just let your desires flow out from your mind. Instead be aware of your internal and external environment. Be aware of your internal and external needs.

That is how I at least interpret Buddha, and I agree. But sometimes it is hard to let go of your desires because of the fear of loosing everything

Hope all of you enjoy my view.
edit on 8-5-2012 by rjomaterta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

That's all well, but the happiest man on Earth Matthieu Ricard had this to say in a talk:

(paraphrased from memory)

Freedom is not being the slave to every whim and desire. Freedom is the ability to choose between not acting on those desires and acting on them.

I completely agree. If you act on every desire, that is enslavement to your impulses. An addict acts on every impulse to use, as does an obese person (food addict, really, same thing). They are certainly not free to choose. It's slavery.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Interesting philosophy , however what do you do when someone else or a group of people all desire to kill and enslave others !

Do you stand in their way then , because lets face it , there are those that seek to cause harm to others just for the fun of it !

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

Ahh, yes but if you desire nothing you are still desiring something........nothing.

Kinda like, if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

Are you sure that wasn't Yoda?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
There are 2 types of desire. There is desire based on instinct: food, sex, social interaction, etc.

And there is conscious desire: desire to advance mentally, to create things, to change things.

If you negate all desire, you negate all human accomplishments throughout history. If you negate the ego, you negate the conscious desire to accomplish all those things. Suffering is a state of being. A rock does not suffer. A human does. Happiness is a state of being. The ego is a state of being. If you eliminate the ego, you end suffering and happiness. Positive and negative, it affects both.
edit on 8-5-2012 by TheReclaimer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join