It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new philosophy - Volism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What you said about "not interfering with other's desires" got me thinking. I know for a fact that desire is a roadblock to peace. Desire is wanting something you don't have. In that, you are failing be at peace with what you do have.

Just a minute ago my dog did the thing he does when he wants to let me know he wants to go outside to use the bathroom. So that caused me to stop chasing my own desire in order to fulfill his.

There is a lot of wisdom in serving others and the act to consciously make an effort to serve others also makes you more intelligent. What I mean is, when you make an effort to serve others in everything you do, you start seeing solutions to many problems that society faces. It just happens like that.

So what I'm talking about is killing two or more birds with one stone. When you talk about serving others, you're really talking about fulfilling other's desires. In not having a desire, you yourself are at peace. Although your desire would be to serve others, ultimately in doing so you are not carrying out your own desire, but the desires of others. After all, no one really WANTS to do the work involved in willfully serving others. That's the road block in serving others- overcoming the drudgery of having to do work without pay. Which actually might be the only way seving others could bring peace- because it isn't something you can really desire to do. It's just something you do because you know that it is the right thing to do.

So to overcome desire, fulfill the desires of others. You don't do what you want to do, but what others want you to do. Except you might be wanting to do what others want you to do, at which point, this might not work out like I think it does.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by smithjustinb

You as the believed in separate identity is desire. Thinking is wanting, thinking is what you think you are. You are not a thinking entity really. You are awareness. You are aware of thinking arising and everything else that appears to arise.
You are awareness.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

But doesn't the intellectual drive exist for awareness's purpose?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

Good points. However I can get you on the nitty gritty by saying that there are different levels of desire. Some more "purer" than others. For example, desire for world peace versus lust for neighbour.

Yeah perhaps there are higher more ethical desires that are more selfless than others. However, the OP said, "Desire is life. It protects us from boredom. It gives meaning to life. Everything is conscious desire"

Life just is. Does a flower really desire the sun, or is it just all automatic? I eat cause the body needs food. I dont necessarily desire food. If we look at Buddhsim, they say that desire is suffering and to a certain extent I agree.

"I won't be happy until I ____(fill in the blank)____ (my desire is fulfilled). Freedom is to be free of desire.

If try for a day to just letting go, Being, allowing, to exist without desire, its actually quite a fascinating experience. Its sort of like free running, or parkouring your way through life.

Then the op said:

Now, thinking in terms of desire, life is much easier. I stay true to my nature. I feel more free. I express myself. I allow others to do what they desire without trying to control them.

What follows is who are we really? What is this I? What is my true nature?

When I was a child, I did not desire to sleep w/ tons of women. I was free & graceful. The "desire" for women came later in life due to puberty. Am I the free child or am I the woman/sex desire. There just so much more to this than meets the eye, and ultimately the way the OP put it, it fails unless we consider "true nature" which where ontology, philosophy, spirituality comes in.

According to many spiritual paths & philosophies, the nature that we take ourselves to be, with which the majority 99.9% of people are operating from, is a lower illusuory nature. If thats the case then, a large % of our desire is already inherently corrupted.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
The body needs fuel (food) and the brain directs the body to find it, there is no desire here.

There definitely is desire. Desire is the mechanism which the brain uses to make our bodies move in an effort to find the food. That "need for food" is still expressed as desire.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
The body needs fuel (food) and the brain directs the body to find it, there is no desire here.

There definitely is desire. Desire is the mechanism which the brain uses to make our bodies move in an effort to find the food. That "need for food" is still expressed as desire.

Desire is the drive that causes us to do anything. Anytime you DO something desire precedes the action.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Desire is the mechanism which the brain uses to make our bodies move

Well, this would be redefining the word in every sense. If we are going to redefine words then that must be done upfront. What you described is called Action Theory.

Here is the generally excepted definition of "Desire" used by scientists, psychologists and most philosophers:

1. : to long or hope for : exhibit or feel desire for
2. a : to express a wish for : request b archaic : to express a wish to : ask
3. obsolete : invite
4. archaic : to feel the loss of

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7-5-2012 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Perhaps the OP over simplified the larger picture of good versus evil that is inherent in each of us. Don't get me wrong. What is "good" and what is "evil" is defined differently by as all but it is how our "desire" for items within those criteria - our behaviour according to our own standards, that largely needs to analyzed.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I just want to say, I think it's interesting how many people can not see the simple fact that needs are connected to wants. You only NEED food and water because you "DESIRE" to survive.

As for the people saying, "what about the desire of the rapist?", my response is, it is evil to interfere with another's desire. If the person does NOT want to have sex then that is their desire to refuse it. To force them into sex is evil because It suppresses the person the desire to REJECT it.

Let me put this in simple words

Evil is when a person FORCES another person to do something or to be apart of something that they do NOT desire to do or be apart of.

Originally posted by dominicus
Yeah perhaps there are higher more ethical desires that are more selfless than others. However, the OP said, "Desire is life. It protects us from boredom. It gives meaning to life. Everything is conscious desire"

Life just is. Does a flower really desire the sun, or is it just all automatic? I eat cause the body needs food. I dont necessarily desire food.

First of all, the brain gives the desire to eat food when the body is hungry. Second, the body would not "need" for if it weren't for the DESIRE to stay alive.

"I won't be happy until I ____(fill in the blank)____ (my desire is fulfilled). Freedom is to be free of desire.

No, freedom is being able to CHOOSE, and that can only happen with preference and desire. Without desire, there is no preference and there is no individuality.

That quote is the reason why people suffer. Instead of enjoying the unfolding up to the goal, they won't be happy until they actually get to the goal.

Here is an example of what I mean:

A person has a goal, and instead of enjoying the unfolding of the goal they are impatient and not satisfied that it isn't here yet, they get to the goal, it feels good for a little while, the feeling goes away and then life causes them to have another goal and they repeat.

OF COURSE, under those circumstances desire would seem like suffering! They aren't enjoying the UNFOLDING of their desire, instead they rush it.

The DESIRE is the adventure. The DESIRE is the trip. The GOAL is the END of the desire - the END of the adventure - the END of the excitement. As new Goals come up, you can choose to ENJOY the desire or you can choose to try to hurry up and get rid of it to get to the goal, ENJOYING the desire is most fun though.

What follows is who are we really? What is this I? What is my true nature?

Whatever role you choose to play in your exciting adventure (desire) to your goal, and if you don't get your goal, at least you had the thrill of the journey (desire).

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You only NEED food and water because you "DESIRE" to survive.

See that's the thing though. We are saying this is not correct. Your desire for food and water is not the same thing as the body's need for food and water. The body needs food and water regardless if you desire it or not. Desire is not needed for survival. You say, "you would die if you did not desire to live", I say, "I will live until I die, unless I desire to die sooner". You say, "I will not eat or drink if I do not desire to do so", I say, "I will eat when the body is hungry and drink when it is thirsty, I will only not do these things when I desire not to."

In other words, I would have to desire death to not survive, other wise survival is automatically done. If you want to position a doer, an "I", into the middle of this equation, then be my guest, but that is the cause of suffering. Science is also quickly proving this whole idea as wrong, so now you are standing against philosophy, psychology and science, insofar as Buddhism and Hinduism.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

you dont even have any desire, you are a liar that mean exclusively to guess what could justify evil gods

truth reason is absolute superiority
absolute superiority reason is constancy
constancy reason is objectivity
objectivity reason is truth absolute superiority, equation proved

what u use as being desire is simply the drive to b superior, the more truth is know the more freedom result is invested to abuse truth weakness, which is of being known, in order to claim or pretend being superior more
then no need to b conditioned by superior drives when truth is always superior, any pretense belief of being superior to what is known is truth freedom
that is why all is evil life, that made satan existence based on killing to live as the abstraction of truth abuse

no one deserve the right of being, all gods are inferiors in all terms

it needs a minimum standard of superiority to conclude right

when truth reason is absolute superiority and when objectivity reason is truth

then superiority is objective

if superiority is objective then desire of superiority do not exist, since desire is to subject which cant b objective

objective is always easily resolved in absolute superiority free terms which became existing, bc objective mean freedom value which is out of absolute superiority

it is true freedom that matter nothing else

but of course noone would mean true freedom bc everyone mean others superiority and profits so could never what is out of absolute superiority

true freedom is the value beyond absolute superiority bc absolute superiority is the result of objective quality being necessarily constant
while true freedom of all object and else concept then too, is not inherently constant so to become as such is truth value the reason of true reality

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

So in other words, your philosophy isn't really a philosophy at all. It's more lick a lack of philosophy, considering you aren't changing rather than letting go. Philosophy requires a certain course to be met. What you're talking about is lack of course, complete abandonment to flow.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

Purely good: will always serve others before serving the self. Will go so far as to seek out every person that can be aided, before even considering serving the self. May consider serving the self as a repugnant act of selfishness.

Purely evil: will only serve the self, even at the expense of others. Considers all existing creatures to be some form of servant, alive only to please him/her/it.

From this, we can see why it is best to keep a balance of good and evil within us. Considering the fragile vessels containing our souls, and the need for societal interaction, it is good to serve both self and others as needed. Fortunately, in today's world, we have a lot more opportunity to take action that isn't needed, but is very helpful. Unfortunately, we are still stuck under the impression that we must "survive"...something that is enouraged on a subliminal level because it keeps the corporations in motion. This destructive survivalism, which is detrimental in a developed society (as regards spiritual progression) is high addictive, since it comes so easily to us. It is a difficult habit to break...but break it we must.

Only when brought to extremes will it be considered truly good or truly evil.
edit on CMondaypm434340f40America/Chicago07 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

Will is the most powerful force in the universe.
Existence and creation wouldn't exist without the will to do it!!
I totally agree with what you wrote.

We have to want to do something but... You have to want but you cant be dependent on what you want to feel good.
You must want alright, but not to be fed with positive emotions otherwise you become an emotional junkie.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
nothing is better then eternal happiness
a ham sandwich is better then nothing

take the sandwich

eta
no amount of will ever stopped a sky diver who,s shoot didn't open from hitting the ground
edit on 7-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The quest, the way to the goal is life itself, the goal doesn't really matter, it is just fuel for action, adventure, lessons, learning, emotions, etc etc.

I believe that to want to do something is creating energy, passion and life.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
"Do what thou wilt " shall be the whole of the law. Allister Crowley. Wise fellow, a little odd, strange, and eccentric as well as mad as a hatter at times, but wise at times none the less.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dude69
reply to post by arpgme

live and let live, anybody who can't go with that, take em outside and shoot the m'fer

lol I guess nobody caught that so i gave you a star dude. The joke even got better when someone tried to correct you not realizing it was a joke

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

I caught it. I just thought it too...shall we say, too full of starch for my diet, if you take my meaning.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Just some thoughts on the subject, Is it better to follow your basic instincts or try against our own nature in the pursuit of becoming more then just an animal? Are we more then just desire? And trust me i preach this stuff but its hard to follow and i fail a lot. Its like a giant jigsaw puzzle some times I place the wrong piece to the board expecting it to fit which it doesn't. I believe life is like that, when the right situation comes and i have the correct piece then it helps the other person. I believe that's what we are here for even if it just one word or kind gesture at the right time you may not even notice it but your words or actions can have a profound effect on other lives

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Desire is the conscious energy that flows throughout the universe.

any evidence for this caim ?

the ` examples ` you cite are merely atributing an athropomorphised idea of conciounceness on physical systems

eg - you say ` the wind desires to blow ` - why ?

wind is mearly the equalisation of a pressure gradient

why does this phenonemon have desire ? or for that matter conciounceness ????

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join