It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solution ideas to prevent the next worldwide Chernobyl.... Fukushima is getting bad!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Fukushima reactor 4 vulnerable

Even though the MSM is not saying a peep about this very real problem, that doesnt mean that we can just put this issue on the back burner. There are several threads on the board discussing the issue here and they deffinetly have there place. The purpose of this thread though is to discuss real solutions for the potential nuclear disaster that may be knocking on our doors. Agrreed that it is already a disaster in its own right, but if we have a total collapse of the reactors , it could spell distaster for the planet.

So lets leave the debating wether this is an emergency or not to the other threads. Lets devote this thread to actual solutions for this issue. And if you can provide links to your provided solutions, that would be great.

What say you ATS?

My first thought for a solution would be to erect a large sealed lead box, completely surrounding each of the reactors. And somehow getting underneath the reactors to seal it off for good.

edit on 7-5-2012 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

I don't know about solutions but here is an article discussing the various problems and the doubts about us having the tech to deal with it all :

No Known Technology to Deal with Fukishima Problems

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan

My first thought for a solution would be to erect a large sealed lead box, completely surrounding each of the reactors.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

Minus the ground??

Remember that at chernobyl they dug out underneath it to seal the bottom so the fuel couldn't melt down to the water table. And most of the fuel was blown out of the reactor. In Japan's case the fuel is all there, and melting down through the ground as we speak.

So I vote no to idea number one.

My idea was something like a Radiation proof suit (like Iron man) Or a radiation proof bulldozer. you get suicidal Japanese or others and you kamakazi stile remove the material and get it into another power plant, as I know no where else they could store this stuff.

Or my second fantasy is a time machine. Or some kind of Force field placed around the plant.

That is really the best I can come up with, and I'm not trying to be funny. I take this very seriously, that's just the best I have come up with since it happened...

sorry.

I hope some other people have better Ideas than me.
edit on 5/7/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
My OH reckoned bulldoze the entire plant into the sea, as that would be the lesser of two evils , ie preferable to potentially billions dying. Not so sure this is very practical though

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
lead cement the place...
and then paint it all green

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
My OH reckoned bulldoze the entire plant into the sea, as that would be the lesser of two evils , ie preferable to potentially billions dying. Not so sure this is very practical though

your not serious are you

edit on 5/7/2012 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I can't remember why but that is a very dangerous solution. I'll try and find out why that was. It's in some of the threads on here, because that was my original first idea until I learned all the complications.

Originally posted by spoonbender
lead cement the place...

except the plant is at Sea Level and so you cannot dig under it to seal the bottom.
The fuel will melt through the concrete/lead if you trap all that heat with no heat sink.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender
lead cement the place...

your not serious are you

edit on 5/7/2012 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

I did say it was my OH (other half), not me, who came out with this idea. He's like alot of us - not really understanding why certain things can't be done, and so coming out with ridiculous ideas.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

can't get to the CNBC article I wanted, but part of it is here:

'Chernobyl Solution' Could Be Last Resort for Japan Reactors
Published: Friday, 18 Mar 2011 | 8:41 AM ET

A "Chernobyl solution" may be the last resort for dealing with Japan's stricken nuclear plant, but burying it in sand and concrete is a messy fix that might leave part of the country as an off-limits radioactive sore for decades.

Japanese authorities say it is still too early to talk about long-term measures while cooling the plant's six reactors and associated fuel-storage pools, comes first.

"It's just not that easy," Murray Jennex, a professor at San Diego State University in California, said when asked about the so-called Chernobyl option for dealing with damaged reactors, named after the Ukrainian nuclear plant that exploded in 1986.

LINK

the link and the part I posted is all there is. It used to link to the CNBC article but no luck finding it.

"It's just not that easy."

and same page with seperate linked article:

"That still unfinished containment dome at Chernobyl is only projected to last 100 years. And Chernobyl, like the Japanese plant at Fukushima, will remain radioactive -- and deadly -- for thousands of years. "

Or

Tuesday's examination with an industrial endoscope detected radiation levels up to 10 times the fatal dose inside the chamber. Plant officials previously said more than half of melted fuel has breached the core and dropped to the floor of the primary containment vessel, some of it splashing against the wall or the floor.

The data collected from the probes showed the damage from the disaster was so severe, the plant operator will have to develop special equipment and technology to tolerate the harsh environment and decommission the plant, a process expected to last decades.

Link

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

If you bulldoze all of it into the Pacific, then won't you turn the Pacific into an uninhabitable dead zone, killing/injuring/poisoning all sea life? And the Pacific is not isolated, it is part of the whole ocean as we know it here on earth. Then the currents continue, sea life travels, soon the whole ocean is poisoned beyond help. Now we can't eat anything from the seas. As life is one inter-woven web, we can not exist without the seas. Just think, radioactive Hurricanes and Typhoons??? And this is just the beginning of the consequences.....

Ummm, this would be worse than billions potentially dying.
edit on 7-5-2012 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

To be honest, it seems like either way if the worst comes to the worst, billions will be dying anyways.

They should really just encase it, but I'm confused at how Russia (USSR) got it rolling so fast where as Japan has been doing nothing for a year and a bit now...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlue

If you bulldoze all of it into the Pacific, then won't you turn the Pacific into an uninhabitable dead zone, killing/injuring/poisoning all sea life? And the Pacific is not isolated, it is part of the whole ocean as we know it here on earth. Then the currents continue, sea life travels, soon the whole ocean is poisoned beyond help. Now we can't eat anything from the seas. As life is one inter-woven web, we can not exist without the seas. Just think, radioactive Hurricanes and Typhoons??? And this is just the beginning of the consequences.....

Ummm, this would be worse than billions potentially dying.
edit on 7-5-2012 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

I will point all this out to him.
Personally I'm wondering if the reason nothing much is being done is because the think-heads don't see a long term solution, ie that it's just a lost cause and they can't solve the many problems. This could explain why 14 months on the only plans they have are to build some sort of buidling over reactor 4, which will take 4 years to do !

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Tepco's plans for fuel removing buildings , with diagrams

Article dated April 2012.

Will this work I wonder ..?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Here's a thought... Can't trust the ground around SFP#4 to bear weight >>> So, what if we were to disregard "the ground" entirely?

Entire buildings get moved all the time - often by ship.... Reactor #4 is very close to the water...

What about a DEEP-WATER DREDGE right up to the reactor forming an inlet that would be similar to a dry-dock

For an AIRCRAFT CARRIER that's about to be decommissioned and HAS THAT RECEIVING POOL READY ON THE FLIGHT DECK TO ACCEPT THE WHOLE LOAD??? PUSH IT RIGHT INTO THE "FLOATING" POOL????

Not dependent upon the steadiness of the ground, not dumping it into the Pacific...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

Make a synthetic nonharming radiation acting agent to bond with harmful radiation that neutralizes it in air/land&sea. Seems charged up somehow so find oppisite charged particals of equal weight to float across world and in sea.
edit on 5/7/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Fuku is just a couple reactors gone bazurk...

just imagine USA's 104 nukes, some of which already are leaking and nothing done about it.

ticking time bomb for at least all of North America if not the world..

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Giant lead block should help a little, if not most

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I say we should reap what we sow,

Humanity has been corrupted to the core, maybe it is time to give this planet back
to the species that don't put profit above everything possible.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
PS

How are you guys gonna hoist your lead???

Do you have giants I don't know about?

Mankind should have thought about this before,
I say fook the whole lot of us slowly.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by braindeadconservatives
I say we should reap what we sow,

Humanity has been corrupted to the core, maybe it is time to give this planet back
to the species that don't put profit above everything possible.

Sad thats the case I do however have hope for some of the species that may be marked non corrupt.
there SHOULD BE CLEANING METHODS SET BEFORE THESE RISKS ARE BUILT.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearMitochondria

The Chernobyl corium mass fused with sand and other silicates forming a vitirfied mass, AKA the "elephant's foot:

This was able to be encased because of the glass that formed when the sand mixed with the corium:

The corium was formed in three phases.

* The first phase lasted only several seconds, with temperatures locally exceeding 2600 °C, when a zirconium-uranium-oxide melt formed from no more than 30% of the core. Examination of a hot particle shown a formation of Zr-U-O and UOx-Zr phases; the 0.9 mm thick niobium zircaloy cladding formed successive layers of UOx, UOx+Zr, Zr-U-O, metallic Zr(O), and zirconium dioxide. These phases were found individually or together in the hot particles dispersed from the core.[16]

* The second stage, lasting for six days, was characterized by interaction of the melt with silicate structural materials – sand, concrete, serpentinite. The molten mixture is enriched with silica and silicates.

* The third stage followed, when lamination of the fuel occurred and the melt broke through into the floors below and solidified there.[17][18][19][20]

Wiki

Turdco has been using water quenching to try and keep the masses cool for over a year now and has to flow several tons of water a day over the tops of the masses and then store that water (what doesn't steam off or leak into the Pacific) indefinitely:

Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s tsunami-crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant’s contaminated water storage tanks are seen in Fukushima prefecture

Corium Quenching is not a new idea and there have been many studies done to assess the feasibility and effectiveness of the process.

What we are seeing now is a full-scale ongoing experiment in corium quenching, which is generating thousands of tons of hyper-contaminated water; and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

They cannot take the "Chernobyl Option" until enough decay heat has been bled off.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join