It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just started my web programming classes...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Well I decide to get in and step up into the programming world. I already know some of it but I'm going to advance to become the next ANON.
Just kidding.

Already completed my first course in HTML..... Man was that easy, probably because I've done webpages before. But now I should have no errors..... Next I have advanced to CSS.. Done those too but I always had plenty of errors. Same with PHP.

Can't wait to take the Intro to Algorithm Analysis. That one seems interesting.

Figured I take break...

Onward........
edit on 7-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

< ?php
echo "Awesome dude, now learn JavaScript and SQL";
?>

HTML +
CSS +
PHP +
JavaScript +
MySQL
=
Awesome websites
edit on 7-5-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

new string[] = words[7] ["You","could","also","learn","something","like","C"];
string sentence = "";

for(i =0; i

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

lol, I'd rather learn Java than C, because it's more relevant to website development, which is what we are discussing here.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Yes, your´re right. I learned it the other way. pascal -> VB -> C -> HTML,CSS -> PHP -> JAVA

It helped me that PHP and C is similar in syntax. But I guess, the other way round is the better (easier) way to learn

BTW, this was not C, it was C#.
edit on 7-5-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Just don't combine java and _javascript or your teacher will get mad!

In all seriousness, remember that google is your friend in programming! ;-)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Yes, your´re right. I learned it the other way. pascal -> VB -> C -> HTML,CSS -> PHP -> JAVA

Well my path would look very similar, except there'd be no C between VB and HTML. I am starting to learn a bit fo Java though.

It helped me that PHP and C is similar in syntax.

Yes they are, your bit of code could be written in PHP like this:

$words = array("You","could","also","learn","something","like","PHP");
$sentence = "";

for($i =0; $i

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Yeah I hated it when I looked C# again. Its a nice habbit to tag the vars with $.
Back some time, when GalaxyWars was THE browser game (at least in germany, must been about 2002 or so)
I wrote a community script wich allowed to upload spying reports and war reports so that, based on the enemys technology (fleet size, speed of ships and so on), their planets and the way the enemy raided other planets (ship needs time to fly back), we as a clan could estimate the power of a other clan.

Was a hell of algo writing, believe me. It worked and when it got public, we were banned because of cheating, but it wasn´t, we just used the reports to trick the system
great times
basically, we could predict with neat accuracy what would happen the next day regarding war activity and when the protecting ships would be at home for defense or not. All with PHP ^^

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter
Was a hell of algo writing, believe me. It worked and when it got public, we were banned because of cheating, but it wasn´t, we just used the reports to trick the system
great times
basically, we could predict with neat accuracy what would happen the next day regarding war activity and when the protecting ships would be at home for defense or not. All with PHP ^^

Haha, that's classic. I learnt Pascal in a similar way. Well to be more precise, it was PascalScript (I learnt Delphi later). Basically, I first learnt PascalScript when I was making bots for RuneScape. You can create amazingly efficient color bots by using SCAR or SIMBA (both use the PascalScript language) and SRL (a macro library written in PascalScript). It was good fun actually.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Lol, I'm just a beginner who knows how to manipulate it to my specifications. I think they do teach C+ Right now it's just basic intro stuff.

I learned pascal and forgot, man that was like eons ago.

Okay back to work.

edit on 7-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Yeah, when you proceed and get better, they will implant you a chip so they can download the code you generate directly to their database. Dont be afraid, this is why all computer geeks act so strange. Mine had to be replaced twice but it doesnt hurt much more then a lobectomie while awake. You really get used to it over time.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
All you need to be a web designer in America is the ability to slap a crappy gif of the US flag and as much flashing gifs of stars along with comic sans with a really terrible midi of the star spangled banner playing in the background along with some crappy JS cursor it seems like when I accidentally hit a home developed website based in the USA so please just don't do any of that

wish i could remember alot of the languages i did some work including plan/1900, cobol, rpg, 6502, 68000, 8086, pascal, c,c++, visual basic,ada, forth and probably another dozen or more

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

How can you forget any of those if you worked with them? I admit, pascal is not on my screen anymore but if you understood c and c+/++ and worked with it (earned your money with it), how can you forget it? No offend, but it sounds untrue.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Just for the fun of it, lets see what our script would look like in Pascal. This is a complete PascalScript program that will run as it is in Simba or Scar:

program LearnPascal;
var
i: integer;
words: TStringArray;
sentence: string;

begin
words := ['You','could','also','learn','something','like','Pascal'];

for i := 0 to 6 do
begin
sentence := sentence + words[ i ] + ' ';
end;

WriteLn(sentence);
end.
edit on 7-5-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
10 PRINT "You're all NERDS!!!!"
20 GOTO 10

Run

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

If you consider that NERD...
You clearly have nothing to contribute but spam.
On the other hand, you seem to know how to place jumpers.
If that doesnt qualify you to be a NERD, I dont know what to say anymore

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

a lot of the time it was fixing a bit of code for someone so i did what was needed and moved onto the next task and after 30+ years messing with computers you get to see alot of code in alot of languages and in some ways it all becomes to look the same since a loop is a loop etc so alot of the time it was get the languages reference manual out to find out how to do the task and make it happen and job done

so i've become more of a jack of all trades (languages) but a master of none

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
There is over 50 languages..

Man Javascript is a doosy that's for sure. Getting into the harder stuff now.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

ok, seeing it that way, it really makes sense. I know what you mean when you say a loop is a loop... You may not be a Master of a single language but you are able to jump in new code and well you said it, get the job done. Would say this is much more worth than knowing nearly everything about one single language, just to get the thing 101% done.

reply to post by Manhater

Nah, the more you write, the better you get. Don´t be afraid. What editor do you use? Phase5 is a good one. It has syntax highlighting for more languages you ever will need (even c#, c, vb ...) and if you use it for private, its free.

edit on 8-5-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Notepad ++

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join