It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquid Metal Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
My friend who works at nasa has been following this company for a while and told me about it the other day. Trying to get me to invest in the cheap stock price. I don't play the market anymore but I still find this stuff interesting.

Twice the strength of Titanium

liquidmetal.com...

Liquidmetal alloys are a revolutionary class of materials that redefine performance, process, and design paradigms. Liquidmetal alloys represent the first enabling materials technology since the creation of thermoplastics and possess characteristics that make them superior in many ways to other popular high performance materials. First, they have an "amorphous" atomic structure, which is unprecedented for bulk structural metals. Second, they include a multi-component chemical compositions, which are optimized for various properties and processes. Finally, our metal alloys are the first commericially available metals with process technologies similar to plastics

Apple has bought the rights to use this stuff in consumer electronics.

Seems to have alot of uses such as a possible replacement for depleted uranium in military applications. . Interesting stuff.

This video shows its strange properties.

edit on 6-5-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Very interesting i've never heard of liquid metal before today. I can't believe it's stronger than titanium.
Hopefully the military doesn't get this technology, but i'm sure they will. The only good thing to come of this would be the end of DU shells.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Material sounds awesome. Could be some good armour too ;-P

Same as possible springs?

There could be tons of uses for this.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
These materials are, largely, known as "Metallic Glass." en.wikipedia.org...

The main difference between metals and glasses is their molecular structure. Metals have a crystalline structure while glasses have no particular structure.

Depending upon the material and the application - metallic glass is stronger and more durable than their classic counterpart.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This is very interesting, I work in a shop that we electroplate and galvanize steel so I'm constantly introduced to different materials and configurations of zinc to lead and steel to zinc contents along with other things, I'd like to learn more about this but for the meantime S&F for bringing this to my attention!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
T2 Judgement Day and the liquid metal terminator was the first thing to come to mind...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
It's rumored (I know... Apple+rumors=Duh) the new iPhone will be housed in Liquidmetal.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by satoriku

It's rumored (I know... Apple+rumors=Duh) the new iPhone will be housed in Liquidmetal.

It will certainly see application in their products - though just how close metallic glass is to marketable applications is a bit of a loose end.

Apple has been investing considerably in new glass developments (of the non-metal variety):

technorati.com...

www.immersivetech.org...

Curved glass has recently captured their attention - their new headquarters boastfully built to: "not have a single piece of flat glass in it."

While I generally detest Apple and the atmosphere it conjures - they've placed themselves quite well in the materials market with regards to mobile and future technology.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
wow..i can imagine the possibilities. But yup, first thing I thought of was T2 and Wolverine. Im sure that the Department of Defense would try to weaponize this...

XL5

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I imagine bearings made of this stuff would be able to teleport into different dimensions. First they would need to be dropped onto a hard floor, then that strange portal will open up and you will never find it again. Then, in some sort of cosmic joke, the portal will spit it out when you don't need it and are not looking for it.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I wonder what it's tensile would be in structural wire applications for mine support or if it would have IBeam application for more wind/hurricane resistant structures but I'd guess they would also need to manufacture new rivets to match? Does anyone know if this material is fit for weldment?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
What about captian americas vibranium shield?

Or some super strong and light armour for my iron man suit.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
I wonder what it's tensile would be in structural wire applications for mine support or if it would have IBeam application for more wind/hurricane resistant structures but I'd guess they would also need to manufacture new rivets to match? Does anyone know if this material is fit for weldment?

The source material~Wikipedia~did mention that amorphous metals are prone to sudden, unanticipated failure, with sudden applied 'tension'. No big deal, as reciprocating engines are on the way out.

All this jazz ties in to the coming 3D copier movement, and probably has a central role in skynet.

stollen....connecting tunnels...underground...

meh...I'm impressed, with the train's chromium flesh....3 johns
edit on 7-5-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
If we hear about it, and Apple consider it as a new alloy for toys they offer, it simply means that military already considered it, tested it and rejected hence applications for General Population.
Probably depleted uranium is much cheaper, nevermind irradiating civilian houses and cities.
A loooot of sick babies and misscaragies in Iraq and Afghanistan in coming years (it already started).

OT:
What we need is revolutionary energy source, all western countries should get together and start spending MASSIVE resources for development. Oil and coal companies should be ordered to pay some chunk for it.

But hey, aint gonna happen with their buddies at the top.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stainlesssteelrat

If we hear about it, and Apple consider it as a new alloy for toys they offer, it simply means that military already considered it, tested it and rejected hence applications for General Population.

No. The Cold War has been over for 20 years. Where the military used to have their hands in a large portion of the ongoing research 50 years ago; we now have, essentially, investment brokers who tour the civilian and private research sectors looking for applicable technologies to invest in.

Metallic glass has been around since the 60s. The restrictive manufacturing process made them very narrow in their scope of application - but it has been used in high performance equipment used by both industry and military.

Probably depleted uranium is much cheaper, nevermind irradiating civilian houses and cities.

Metallic glass has zero application to bullets.

It does, however, have application in anti-ballistic shielding:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Depleted uranium is also used quite sparingly in only a few munitions. Not that it is any more of a biological hazard than the lead used in a large portion of the munitions.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The video mentions storing kenetic energy..

Then this material must be a huge benefit to "WindBelt Generators" where do i buy these shares

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmsuse
The video mentions storing kenetic energy..

Then this material must be a huge benefit to "WindBelt Generators" where do i buy these shares

I guess through any broker. Its on the OTC bulletin board. My sister and friend bought some. I don't really play the stock market anymore. I think its trading at around 38 cents. Was at 11 a week or 2 ago.

new topics

top topics

join