Fukushima Reactor 4 Could Unleash 85 times Cesium-137 Radiation; Human Civilization on the Brink

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I love how the cited source says it could be 10 times the amount. And then in the article you referenced, it says "others say it could be 85 times." Why not be clear? If ALL the spent fuel in ALL the containment units were to go up, yes.. it would be 85 times the amount. But only 10 times if the one truly in danger were to go up in flames. Still an incredibly dangerous situation - just trying to clarify, as this site thrives on doomsaying.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
With no maps and with no television reports, not even from discovery, I have no reason to listen to this nonstop fear-mongering. I know people in Japan and not a single one of them is worried. And they know first hand what could happen. But you know what? We can't do crap about it. So there's no point to scrambling everywhere for water and duct tape. How about people stop getting scared and stop scaring people and live. You know what else could wipe out the planet? A meteor, a super volcano, a killer virus. So what makes Fukushima reactor #4 so special?

There are people alive today who were children during the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki who are healthy, they were pretty exposed. Fukushima is nothing to them, so why does it make a difference to us knowing its unpreventable?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyteskye

That is right as far as I understand. The problem is with the spent fuel rods stored near the reactor vessel.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Id bet everything that the people at tbe top have the tech to clean this mess up right now and Id bet they have the tech to completely protect against radiation as well.
They'll never tell us though.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I've read a few other threads like this one and still don't understand why mainstream news would want to keep this from us. Are they just trying to avoid worldwide panic?

Because people certainly would panic if they knew that nothing was being done.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Here it is...

Illuminati card game created in 1995
edit on 7-5-2012 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

If Reactor 4 at Fukushima becomes unstable and releases 10 times the amount of Cesium-137 (CS-137) released at the time of the Chernobyl nuclear accident, then the prevailing winds could carry it all the way to the Western USA – that means California. On April 30, 2012, 72 NGO organizations sent a request to the United Nations and the Japanese government urging fast-action to stabilize the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant Unit 4 spent nuclear fuel. Experts in the nuclear field from both Japan and the world endorsed the letter. The letter contained warnings that the damaged Unit 4 spent nuclear fuel pool contains Cesium-137. If that pool were exposed to an earthquake or other event that drained that pool, then the result could be a catastrophic radiological fire. The letter urged the United Nations to create a Nuclear Safety Summit to find a solution to the problem of the Fukushima Daiichi Unit 4 spent nuclear fuel pool. The proposal stated that the United Nations should create an independent assessment team on Fukushima Daiichi Unit 4 and organize international assistance to stabilize the unit's spent nuclear fuel and prevent the impending catastrophe. The letters were delivered to both the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda. The second letter asked that Japan officially ask for the United Nations' help. Read more: technorati.com...

also someone asked about how the radiation wouild spreak there is a picture with THIS ARTICLE .. would really like to know how or if australia will be affected by radiation also?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It could be a tad worse than 85 times Chernobyl actually. I seem to remember (if someone has the actual numbers, please post them) that there were 1500 rods in Reactor 4 and each rod weighs 1000 lbs. I really doubt there is anymore than say 25% MoX fuel which is I think 6% plutonium. So that would give us 375 times 6 lbs of plutonium or 2250 lbs. Hmmm, not pretty, critical mass is around 16kg (about 35 lbs) I think.

So, if the amount of weaponized (aerosolized) plutonium to kill everybody on earth is 1 lb, then I think it's a bit worse than 85 times Chernobyl. After critical mass occurs (if it gets that far) and much of the material is vapourized, there will still be probably at least 25% left that would enter the atmosphere in aerosol format. So, we have the potential for an ELE that with an overkill rate of about 55,000% (~550 lbs).

This is not a good situation. But when it comes down to it, it really makes no difference whether it's 10x or 550x the necessary amount of p239 to kill us all.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It has now been officially proven (in Canada) that Brown’s Gas can neutralize radioactive waste in seconds, easily and extremely inexpensively. This neutralization treatment can take place right at the nuclear reactor so there is no need to transport or store nuclear waste.
see related ats topic HERE

and another here
edit on 7-5-2012 by wewillnotcomply666 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
I've read a few other threads like this one and still don't understand why mainstream news would want to keep this from us. Are they just trying to avoid worldwide panic?

That's easy, there is nothing a new outlet fears more than losing access. If you don't play the game you lose access. This is why news outlets clear almost everything with government.

Here's an example: If you remember there was a scandal during the Bush administration regarding illegal NSA wiretapping. CNN has this story for two years but did not report it until the White House said it was ok. CNN broke that story. So every reporter basically shut up because they were told to. Not because the liked Bush, but because they would have lost access if they pissed him off. If you don't have access you can't make money anyway.
edit on 7-5-2012 by antonia because: argh

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mthgs602

Maybe terraforming? I don't know it is just crazy. But think about it, everything 'they' do has serious environmental/physiological consequences but does that stop the insanity? No.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Avalessa

You're just going nowhere without your curiosity. OH WAIT YOU ARE ALREADY FROM NOWHERE> LOL

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

The damages from the radiation from Chernobly involve thyroid cancers and lukemias in people who were children at the time.I just looked it up. None of the list of damages attributed to the chernoble disaster involve any kind of deformities. Where are you getting your information from Homer Simpson???.

I'm trying to be controlled and respectful in my reply here, despite being infuriated. This isn't 'just some subject' where wild misinformation or outright BAD information doesn't mean anything. In this case, it could very well get people killed who didn't HAVE to die in the long term. In worse cases, it won't be death but deformation. Some fates ARE worse than death. Now....I don't know where the other poster got HIS information, but I assure you, my information on Nuclear subjects doesn't come from a cartoon. I'm not a professional in that industry. However, after Fukushima went up, I made a point of becoming exceptionally well informed for a total layman. The knowledge changed my life in very negative ways for peace of mind and future outlook. Let me share...so others may see what the experts declare and accept as plain fact.

Source: German Affiliate of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
Excursus: Miscarriages and pregnancy terminations (pg 32)

Usually miscarriages and pregnancy terminations since Chernobyl have been silently ignored. There are, however, a number of unsettling indications: 

in Poland there were considerably less live births in 1986 compared to previous years.76 77 

in1987 Trichopoulos reported on pregnancy terminations following Chernobyl. He came to the conclusion that in May 1986, 23 percent of early pregnancies in Greece were terminated. Altogether about 2,500 wanted pregnancies were terminated because of Chernobyl.78 

Ketchum’s information, that there were 100,000 to 200,000 additional terminations in Western Europe because of the Chernobyl catastrophe, refers to data from the IAEA.79 

there have been numerous indications from doctors, and women in the Chernobyl region, that in the days and weeks following Chernobyl abortions were systematically carried out. No one wants to talk about this and we have no knowledge of accurate data on these abortions.

The above is the opening text of page 32, heading Miscarriages. It's a starting point. For the next couple pages, they go on to talk about how the Soviet Union and later, The Russian Federation have been distributing food in small amounts to each area, but all over the former Soviet Union. They believe, it seems, that small amounts ingested are acceptable compared to the dumping of food. The estimates are 600,000 people or more, exposed in this way and others. The exposure continues, according to this and other reports.

Genetic and teratogenic damage (malformations) (Pg 34)

One of the main difficulties of monitoring genetic damage is the fact that the overwhelming majority of changes does not become visible for several generations. For this reason, fundamental knowledge at the beginning of genetic science came from the study of flies, of which several generations could be examined in a laboratory in a short space of time because of their short life span. Our observations of genetic damage to humans following the Chernobyl catastrophe are therefore still in the early stages.

With reference to the UNSCEAR-Report from1988,84 the collective doses for all the affected countries in the Northern hemisphere amounts to 600,000 man Sv. 40% of this, i.e. 240,000 man Sv, fell on the territories of the former USSR. People of childbearing age constitute about 40% of the population. Therefore about 40% of the collective doses affects future generations. That would be 240,000 man Sv for all affected countries and 96,000 man Sv for the affected states of the Chernobyl region (former USSR).

Now this is a 64 page report. I don't know how long it took you conclude that nothing supported the fact the human deformations from the Chernobyl catastrophe exist. Finding this and more took me about 10 minutes. I admit, I research rather quickly and directly. However, it's quite a statement to make in absolutes, and then insult the person.

Keep in mind, Chernobyl is considered SMALL compared to Fuku at this point. 60 minutes (Link to Story) has run several stories, including this one. They detail first hand accounts of the human mutations and deformed babies. Take it for what it's worth. It's absolutely real though and Fuku will almost certainly generate more and worse, in the long term.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I wanted to share one additional resource that is entirely about Fukushima. At least, that is why I'm posting it. You'll find the collection at this site has far more and going back to the 1990's. However, they have 49 pages of Fukushima specific photographs, videos, documents, time lines and related material. WIthin these pages, it should explain fairly well just what happened, how it happened and what it's looked like at regular intervals since and ending with Feb. 2012.

MANY of these photos haven't appeared in the media. Almost none have appeared at the resolutions and dimensions these are stored in. It's high enough to take out and work with a bit in Photoshop or another program. It's hardly raw format, so how much each person can do in enhancing and zooming for various detail will be VERY sensitive to one's personal skills and abilities. However, the sizes are sufficient for the basics in that way.

Fukushima Photos, Videos, Reports and Documents across 49 indexed pages.

I suppose it really isn't right that I drop in occasionally to share the doom and gloom thoughts and then hop off before any material is added to support what I'm saying. I won't get back into my archives right now...I don't need the depression I fought to break after the first months I took in building it all. This covers far more material than most sites have in one place and linked from a single page.

I'd say, Enjoy! ...but that is so far from the right word here, I'll simply say I hope this helps explain the gravity of the situation by the material available.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousCosmos
reply to post by reclaimed

It's called Tsoukalos's Law: It's always aliens.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Good one.

I contacted the guy and he was supposed to send me some "documentation"... 2 years and waiting.
The guy is a joke.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by Xaphan

That's easy, there is nothing a new outlet fears more than losing access. If you don't play the game you lose access. This is why news outlets clear almost everything with government.

Here's an example: If you remember there was a scandal during the Bush administration regarding illegal NSA wiretapping. CNN has this story for two years but did not report it until the White House said it was ok. CNN broke that story. So every reporter basically shut up because they were told to. Not because the liked Bush, but because they would have lost access if they pissed him off. If you don't have access you can't make money anyway.
edit on 7-5-2012 by antonia because: argh

Still doesn't really answer my question. Why would the government want to keep the story tied up? The only conclusion I can come to is fear of global panic.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The thing about radiation is - the more dangerous it is, the shorter-lived it is. If you have a radioactive isotope with a half-life of a million years, you could use a clump of it as a Teddy bear with no issues. Heck, my wedding band is radioactive tungsten. In several hundred million years, it will be transformed through radioactive decay.

On the other hNd, and isotope with a very short half-life is highly dangerous to be around - but only for a short time. Ba 137 has a half life of something like 2 min. If you're close to it, consider yourself dead. However, a 50g sample would be decayed to .0015g in 30 min.

The problem with caesium 137 is its in that "medium" zone. Hot enough to be dangerous - not so hot it decays quick (I think its like 37-yr half life) this - and the fact that it forms compounds with water. Most radiation is not carried in water itself, but rather only in solid particles in water. Caesium is different - caesium is evil.

Prussian Blue is an "antidote" of sorts to move it out of the body quicker, but I don't know in what form or how to administer, etc. Don't go eating prussian blue paint now!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SimontheMagus

Calm down, I'll admit I was a bit lazy and didnt want to specifically research Gaia. I didnt mean really who Gaia was, I mainly was asking for the origination of the word. I was kinda hoping that the person I replied to could give me a quick run down. Trust me, I was purely curious and didnt mean to seem aggressive.

I love learning of mythology. Less the bible right now, more egyptology, Sumeria, and India. Once Ive got the basics of those, I'll move on to Greek, Roman, Christianity, and Catholicism. Then China, Japan, and many more. It takes a while to absorb all this, Im only 19
edit on 8-5-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Don't want to crash the party but I thought a bit of "mainstream news" on the topic wouldn't hurt.
I see a lot of "what if" and "imagine that" on this thread and my humble advice is whatever your opinion/fantasy/mental imbalance is, always try to seek info from diverse sources. Otherwise you'll go mad and end up in a cult.
Just fooling around...
Nevertheless in this article from the Guardian you will be able to haver some fresh decent news about the plant.
The article is factual and overlooks possible outcomes.

The Fukushima nuclear plant's slow recovery offers lessons to the US

For example it talks of a possible release of 10 times Chernobyl opposed to 85 times stated in the OP if the reactor 4 collapsed... there's no winner here. Not trying to have a go at the OP.
But still.
Keap your head cool people!

All the best

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by gameisupman
reply to post by Ben81

What a bunch of fear mongering. While I get just as much entertainment from ignorant fear mongering as the next person around these parts, I still am able to maintain both feet firmly planted in reality when it comes down to it.

The whole Fukashima "wiping us all out" scare is total bunk. For one, you can bet your sorry butt if there was a glint of truth to this it would be all over the MSM. Yeah, yeah....you are going to say the MSM is bought and paid for by "the man", and a certain part of it is. But it is more bought and paid for by the ratings. An other than "sex sells" the next best thing to get viewers is fear-mongering like this. The fact that you only read about how this will end the world on ignorant and questionable websites should tell you something. And I totally get it, most people who post threads like this and are into conspiracy stuff have a need to feel special. Maybe they hate their life, or maybe life is too boring for them....but by wrapping themselves up in nonsense like this they make themselves feel special, better than those who, in their minds, are sheeple.

These fear mongering threads are so common on the internet now one can simply have a microsoft word document with a canned response ready to cut and paste, as none of them bring a hint of credibility to the table anyway. When nothing comes of this, you fear-mongers will simply move on to the net fear-mongering thing, and simply forget how many other things you didn't understand in the past yet somehow fear-mongered about those as well.

Fearmonger = Ignorance. Don't believe me, go ahead and look at the millions of other past fear-mongering threads here and on any other board. You will start to see a common pattern among them...

I totally was wondering if someone was gonna say basically what you said
. Seriously, it was like one of the first posts in this thread. Im not trying to demean your statements or anything, I just found it funny that nobody said this was fear mongering, but lone behold, someone appeared eventually

Edit: Here is what I said.

Originally posted by Renegade2283
I just find it a little odd that not a single person is skeptical of all of this.

Why is nobody saying " No, Fukushima is not a problem anymore and this is just sensationalist fear mongering" and then providing some source that supposedly disproves the thread.

I know this is in all reality a serious situation and should be something to be concerned about but I expect at least a little skepticism.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join