It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lord's prayer; even the experts disagree on one key word.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

"Thy Kingdom Come"

We're praying for the Messianic Kingdom to come to Earth, so that His will is always done on Earth just as it is in Heaven.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

It probably does have multiple meanings, especially if one understands how there are four ways to interpret the bible according to Jewish mysticism (PARDES).

I would say number 5 is mostly correct because of something I have personally experienced. Also when Jesus was talking with the Samaritan woman at the well, once his disciples returned from buying food, they were telling him he needed to eat something and he told them "I have food to eat that you know nothing about" John 4:32.

This mystical food is again addressed in Revelation 2:17, "To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna."

Hidden manna is a mystery for the here and now. A follower of Christ receives it from HIM by following his commands and the first one is to repent.

edit on 7-5-2012 by Myrtales Instinct because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Not the chemical kind of Alchemy, inner Alchemy is the principle here. Do you know anything about it?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Then, as a Christian, if you can hear your Jesus, then why when some of us say we heard an ET, or one of our dead relatives speak to us, we are "fooled", or "deluded", and that is was a Demon in disguise fooling us? Why is isn't a Christian hearing voices mentally ill like some of them say to us? What is the possibility that what you heard was not a Demon?
These are things I want to know, because I have seen dead people for all my life, and when I talk about it, the Christians always tell me I am deluded. So how does that deluded thing work here?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Not the chemical kind of Alchemy, inner Alchemy is the principle here. Do you know anything about it?

I do. What about it? Do you really think all christians are that dull? It make ya wonder if Newton ever realized it was inner though.

Ta, ta!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
"Thy Kingdom Come"

We're praying for the Messianic Kingdom to come to Earth, so that His will is always done on Earth just as it is in Heaven.
..and his will be done. Again, if you didn't pray for that, would your god just not do it? Would he not let his will happen if you don't pray for it?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

When people say the "thy will be done" part of the prayer, they are not praying for God to do what He wants. That would be silly.

What they are praying for is the strength to accept God's will in the world. When a Christian says "thy will be done", they are acknowledging that they submit to God's authority and trust in His providence, even when it appears that all is going to Hell in a hand-basket in the world. They trust that God has a plan and all things will eventually lead to the fruition of that plan.

edit on 5/10/12 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

No, they are praying for the "Kingdom" to come (Messianic), so that His will is don't ob Earth just as it is in Heaven. In Heaven it's done with a joyful heart, by everyone. The prayer is asking for the Messianic Kingdom to finally come to Earth.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

No, they are praying for the "Kingdom" to come (Messianic), so that His will is don't ob Earth just as it is in Heaven. In Heaven it's done with a joyful heart, by everyone. The prayer is asking for the Messianic Kingdom to finally come to Earth.
...and Jesus, who is God, is saying that we need to pray for that? He can't do it without your prayers?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Bread? Interesting thread and posts.

I thought the major disagreement was between the debtor's version and the trespasser's version, which could lead to family feuds in my youth.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

I guess not Hydro, you got it all figured out.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I guess not Hydro, you got it all figured out.
Lol. Just wondering why he would want us to ask for his will to be done, as if he wouldn't do it if we didn't ask...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
Again, if you didn't pray for that, would your god just not do it?

That's really part of a larger question but imagine if you as a child never asked your parents for Christmas presents. Would you still get the presents? The prayer isn't for God's benefit. It's for you and the hope is that you'll become excited about and care for the same things that God cares for.

On the specific point the OP is making I always understood the meaning of "daily bread" to be a prayer to ask God to give you what you need for that day be it actual bread, clothing, or spiritual comfort. There are some deeper spiritual implications here as well. It's quite easy to compare this bread to the manna that the Children of Israel received in the wilderness. Of course it's interesting that they had to gather the manna each day and anything they saved from the day before would spoil overnight. Each day they were required to depend on God for their needs for that day.

On the surface it sounds cruel for God to string you along day by day. Why doesn't God just give you what you'll need for the rest of your life right now? I think the answer is pretty obvious. First of all there would be logistics issues for storing everything, secondly we might become spoiled little brats and forget about God all together once we thought we had everything we needed. Remember King David's prayer.

"give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is my portion"
Proverbs 30:8

The Lord's prayer as mentioned before is a model. It's not a prayer we're supposed to vainly chant each day word for word. Use it as an outline for things you should pray for. Each phrase covers a different area of your life. Your relation to God, bending your will to his, prayer for your physical needs, your relationship with others, affirmation of your need for God, and a final thanks and hat-tip to God.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
That's really part of a larger question but imagine if you as a child never asked your parents for Christmas presents. Would you still get the presents?
Yes I would. Wouldn't you?

On the surface it sounds cruel for God to string you along day by day. Why doesn't God just give you what you'll need for the rest of your life right now? I think the answer is pretty obvious. First of all there would be logistics issues for storing everything, secondly we might become spoiled little brats and forget about God all together once we thought we had everything we needed.
He provides for the Sparrow. I wonder if the Sparrow asks?

The Lord's prayer as mentioned before is a model. It's not a prayer we're supposed to vainly chant each day word for word. Use it as an outline for things you should pray for. Each phrase covers a different area of your life. Your relation to God, bending your will to his, prayer for your physical needs, your relationship with others, affirmation of your need for God, and a final thanks and hat-tip to God.
I get that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join