It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let Me In" The most Tragic Love/Horror story I have seen!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

No probz at all

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Which one did you see first, honestly ? ^^

Considering I'll have seen the Swedish version waaay before I'll see the American one, I really can't picture myself liking the American version more. I mean I already consider the Swedish one a classic.

Guess we'll see though (:

edit on 8-5-2012 by ZikhaN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by mzungu

Sorry I know the Swedish version is a perverted peadophile type of love... but to me that is bad taste and disgusting and goes too far...

No it's not, it's the same thing, the old man was a young boy when he first met her, he loved her then just as he did now, only he has grown and she hasn't.

The swedish version is much better, but they're practically identical.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

I saw the US version first, then the Swedish version and the read the book, there is also a sequel to the original book called Let the Old Dreams Die by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

Whatever happened to Oskar and Eli? And what became of the beleaguered families in Handling the Undead? Find out in Let the Old Dreams Die.

Source

Although I beleive this book is actually a collection of shorter stories and is not entirely dedicated to the vampire story.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

In he US version it feels as though he has grown into more of a father figure than a romantic interest though. That was my interpretation although I could be wrong.

The book however is totally different again..

Yes they are almost identical but I thought the dialogue and "lines" in the US version were a little better and flowed well.

There was a difference in budget as well.

You know in the Swedish version, when he first meets Eli and she jumps off the playground equipment and it was that supernatural feel to it?

That ruined it for me at the beginning, it's only very small and minor detail but it did... there other differences as well but i'm not gonna go into it all here.

I just felt the US version was more believable and cold - it really made me feel emotional for the the characters.

edit on 9-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Well, considering Låt den rätte komma in was also by John Ajvide Linqvist obviously this one's also by him
(just found it funny that you added "by *author name*) ^^

Anyway, my point was that, considering you've seen the American version first, it's not unexpected that you will prefer it over the original. It's obviously all down to taste either way.

What I do know is that the Swedish version got praised by critics both in Sweden and outside.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, Netflix has the Swedish version on instant play but not the American, lol.

So I watched the Swedish version.

I thought it was good. I liked the girl. She was interesting looking.

Though someone give the serious white boy some eyelashes and I had the urge to wear a nice warm hat and mittens the whole time I was watching the movie. And I turned up the heat...

There were some scenes where I have no clue what they are about. Maybe I need to read the book.

There were some great scenes. Though the cat scene was stupid.

Oh the egg puzzle she showed him, does anyone know what that is? I thought it was interesting.

I also liked that song he was listening too when she got out of the shower.

And its funny how aptartment complexes look the same no matter where you are in the world.

Now I haven't read the book.
Why do you consider this a tragic love story?

I interpreted it as she likes to look and schmooze replacements as her "caretaker" I don't even think she loves them at all.
edit on 9-5-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Reguardless of if she loves them, they love her.
She knows it and uses it for her benefit.
It is hard to say if she loves them in any way but there is a major level of trust on her part.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Yeah well you know what I meant by the aurthor
The only difference being the screenplay was by Matt Reeves.

Yeah I have heard alot of reviews about the movie and even here in Australia many film critics say the Swedish version is better.

But as you said it's down to personal taste I guess and I like Matt Reeves as the director.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Yeah that's true, she uses that to her advantage.

Although the sequel (book) sounds interesting, although it is based on the original story it apparently tells of what happens to Eli and Owen and answers questions like does she change him or do they part ways... etc.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Although the book hasn't been released yet I have rumors of what happens in the book.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

It's tragic for the male characters involved and even Eli/Abby (whichever version) I'm sure she still has an emotional connection but she is stuck with the mind and body of 12 year old (more or less
).

She can never be a normal girl or person. It's tragic for the keeper / father because he has been there with her since he was a boy and you get the feeling the same thing is going to happen all over again even, knowing all the while that the young boy has fallen in love with her.

I think it was a stretch that I called it a horror, I think it's closer to a romantic thriller but a very strange one... if that makes sense?

That's what the entire story revolves around.

For me it was a really fresh original movie (the story in general) and in this day and age of movies it seems to be getting harder and harder to come up with original and fresh stories.

I'm sick of old stories in whatever type of genre being recycled.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

I also wanted to add this as it wasnt apart of the final cut and has become a deleted scene. I'm not sure why, as it was actually quite a powerful part of the story and in the US version it is the only flashback we see in regard to Abby's past and how she was turned.

It's such a chilling part of the story and as I said the only part of her back-story. I am really surprised this scene was removed from the final cut

Gives me chills, although I think the music play a big part in that as well.

That was another big difference between both movies, the music...

edit on 10-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

My question is though, why does she need anyone to take care of her?

Other then the cover that a 12 year old can't live by herself, she is perfectly capable of protecting herself and getting her own "food" so to speak.

So why does she need them to go kill people for her?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

It would be a lonely life wouldn't it?

Maybe she just doesn't like having to go and kill people, she does have the mind of a 12 year old girl. Even though she has to do it for survival, I bet she doesn't like going to kill people.

Her tactics and strategy in killing people aren't the best either, it could make it easy for her to get caught. In otherwords maybe because her mind stopped developing at such a young age she lacks the intelligence to kill a victim without leaving traces..

edit on 12-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I saw both movies, and it's hard to categorize them as love stories. It's sort of plain that the boy has fallen in love - in a kind of fairy tale way that makes sense to pre-adolescents - with the vampire girl but she appears to be mature far beyond her physical development. She's been through a number of human companions and she knows that at a certain point, in a few decades, the boy will no longer be useful to her. (The situation required that the boy give up all hopes of getting a proper education or a career, or any other friends or companions, ever. It also allowed, if you had a dirty mind, a question of what happens with this boy in a very few years - and this perpetual 12-year old girl is his only sexual prospect for the rest of his life.)

There was a sort of similar theme in THE HUNGER, a Whitley Streiber novel and a Catherine Deneuve movie; the vampire knows that her companion (a human converted to vampire) is mortal and temporary, like dozens before him, and she often has to be on the lookout for a potential replacement.

edit on 12-5-2012 by Shoonra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Shoonra

It would be interesting to see a sequel to the book or movie and find out whether she turns him.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
In both mo9vies, she didn't turn the old man, and she needs a HUMAN companion - someone who can withstand sunlight, enter rooms without being invited, etc.- so I doubt she will turn him. Even when he's old and mostly useless to her as a human, turning him into a competitor for the local blood supply seems unlikely.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Shoonra

I have heard rumors about what happens in the sequel although I don't want to spoil it for anyone
It hasn't been released yet but I am looking forward to it.

Whatever happened to Oskar and Eli? And what became of the beleaguered families in Handling the Undead? Find out in Let the Old Dreams Die.

Source

Although I beleive this book is actually a collection of shorter stories and is not entirely dedicated to the vampire story.

Although for those of you that love a spoiler, there is a link below - (Warning Spoiler Alert)

Let the Old Dreams Die - Summary and Spoilers

Original Link - Spoilers and Summary

Sorry the first link seems to be playing up and I don't want to paste the entire url as it contains bad language. The second link should work, just go 5 post's down and hit the link on the post and it will take you to the page I first linked.

edit on 13-5-2012 by Havick007 because: Link Problems

top topics

<< 1   >>

join