It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let Me In" The most Tragic Love/Horror story I have seen!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Hi All,

I wanted to share this movie with everyone here.

Although it was released in 2010, I had not seen nor heard of it untill now! It's an amazing movie and based on the book - "Let the Right One In" by John Ajvide Lindqvist. This version is a re-telling of an earlier Swedish film from 2008 and I have read many reviews online and from well-known critics that have said the Swedish version was better and more authentic, although I guess that depends on your taste in movies... The swedish version and the book itself was abit too full on and perverted for my liking :S and if you read the book or see the swedish version, you might understand what I mean.. It is available on youtube in 12 parts.

However the US version was an amazing movie. It is so sad and so compelling and the director has done an amazing job! Although you can clearly see the villains in the movie and what they are doing is so wrong! At the same time I felt empathy for the villains and sad for them... It's a very hard thing to achieve in any type of story, movie or play.

Both lead actors - Kodi Smit-Mcphee (Aussie... YES!
) and Chloe G Moretz (Amazing) did an amazing job and played the parts so well.. I was truly amazed that although they were still quite young when playing these roles, they did such an amazing job! I look forward to many great things from both of them

I hope you decide to watch this movie and you can enjoy or appreciate it as much as I did

Let Me In

A bullied young boy befriends a young female vampire who lives in secrecy with her guardian.

In Los Alamos, New Mexico, the twelve year-old Owen is a lonely and outcast boy bullied in school by Kenny and two other classmates; at home, Owen dreams of avenging himself against the trio of bullies. He befriends his twelve-year-old next door neighbor, Abby, who only appears during the night in the playground of their building.

Full Synopsis (IMBb)

I hope you like and please let me know what you all think!
I hope you like the movie as much as I did!

edit on 6-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

edit on 6/5/12 by mzungu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mzungu

no no no... I know what your saying and have read the book and sat through 2 hours of torture watching the swedish version...

I disagree, the american "re-telling" not remake was much better and a better story... and better actors

There is also a comic book series out by Dark Horse Comics that is prelude to the story in Los Alamos. Although the comics could have gone further back and given more background to the story, they are still worth reading

Chloe G Moretz as the actress actually created "Abby's" back story herself before taking on the role and did an amazing job!

Dark Horse Comics

Let Me In - Crossroads

Taking you even deeper into a tragic world of sophisticated horror with Let Me In: Crossroads, a chilling prelude to the highly anticipated film Let Me In.

* The official prelude to Cloverfield director Matt Reeves' highly anticipated horror film starring Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass).

DarkHorse - Let Me In

It's much better

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
sorry, i must admit i didn't read through your entire post, shouldn't have replied as i did..

brilliant film though, best vampire film i've ever seen.. i reckon all those kids into twilight should watch this instead

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mzungu

Sorry I was editing the OP as you replied... I rushed the OP just abit and had to change a couple things. I edited again, the first reply to you I mean, just added abit more info
and the comic book stuff.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I watched both the Swedish version and this one. Both versions were pretty good, but i kinda liked the Swedish one better, by just a little bit. I almost always prefer the original movie to the U.S. version because of the original script and dialog.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aktulu
.. I almost always prefer the original movie to the U.S. version because of the original script and dialog.

me too, and the u.s. have an annoying habit of throwing love drama into everything..

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aktulu

It depends on the movie and the outcomes though... there are many movies that have better scripts and dialogue in the original but in my opinion this one out does the original by alot!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Reminiscent of Wes Craven's Deadly Friend. Similar relationship.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mzungu

But love is the whole premise of the story isn't it?

Sorry I know the Swedish version is a perverted peadophile type of love... but to me that is bad taste and disgusting and goes too far...

The story in the US version is very different and realistic in alot of ways...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

I hadn't seen or heard of that untill now.

After watching the trailer and reading abit about it, it is kinda similar in some ways but it still has that old school horror feel to it... do you know what I mean?

Stephen King was quoted as saying that this is the best American horror movie in 20 years.... that is one good review

King: “Let Me In is a genre-busting triumph. Not just a horror film, but the best American horror film in the last 20 years. Whether you’re a teenager or a film-lover in your 50s, you’ll be knocked out. Rush to it now. You can thank me later.”

Source (AwardDaily.com)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I will bump this and just a heads up... I know ATS traffic times and if I need to too I will re-post this thread... This movie deserves it!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Very good film. I saw it and liked it, recommended.

----------------------------

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wonhunlo

YES!!

It's good to see some positive feedback
Obviously this forum on ATS has limited traffic....

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mzungu

I agree with that!! That twilight crap is sad.....

It's all about trends these dayz...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I saw that movie on Starz(?) a few months ago at night, trying to fall asleep. Flipping through the channels I saw the title and figured ‘eh, what the hell, it will probably put me to sleep’ and turned the movie on. About two hours later I was finished watching the film, thinking ‘great, that really did not help’. It was not scary, but had the setting of a horror film, and the acting was pretty good for children. Not to mention the storyline was great – and I usually dislike films in ‘Let Me In’s’ genre.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I actually preferred the extended Swedish version.

It struck me as several degrees more haunting, and then there's the scene with the cats that I don't recall being included in the American interpretation.

All in all, when it first came out, it was very much so a refreshing alternative Vampire 'love story' compared to the sparkle glitter vampires and werewolves filled with such abounding eternal teen angst so popular right now.

Another alternative you might find interesting is a Koeran title called Thirst: Thirst - IMDb

Through a failed medical experiment, a priest is stricken with vampirism and is forced to abandon his ascetic ways.

It's very much an 'alternative' viewpoint, exploring an extremely disfunctional kind of vampire love story.

I highly recommend taking a look at Korean cinema due many of the more bizarre stories and twists many directors seem to like to take with films like this, Old Boy, and many others that will leave you all sorts of OMGWTF.
Granted, many off the beaten track titles don't have the flash and glam of Hollywood, but, looking past that, the stories can be an astoundingly worthwhile watch.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You do know it's an American remake of the Swedish "Låt den rätte komma in", right ?

Have yet to see the American "Let me in", but I saw the Swedish one (as I'm from Sweden) quite a long time ago. I think it'll do for now. I will watch the remake eventually though (:

Glad you guys liked it though.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Thank you for the advice, pal! I will definitely be checking out any forms of this that I can find! Comic, movie, etc...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Yeah of course
and yes I have seen both versions.

I prefered the US version, although I know they are both quite good and obviously the US version loses points for originality, I still preferred that version. That might be a matter for personal taste though.

I didn't like the back-story of Elli in the swedish version... very gruesome
but I also didn't like the story between Eli and her watcher.... kindy creepy.. ya know.

The book is even more full on and creepy and made me cringe!

I liked the fact the none of the actors from the US version watched the original movie first. They were able to make the characters their own in a sort of way.

They created their own back-story and history of the character's before taking it on.

Either way it's an amazing story and very different to many previous vampire stories. It tells a different kind of story and throws away any type of prestige linked with vampires...

It was very sad

edit on 8-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join