It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Succinct sayings , quotes, words of wisdom add yours

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

It takes 30 minutes to report the world news, so if you're talking for more than ten minutes a day, you're not saying anything.

Me

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Pangloss to Candide..."All events are linked together in the best of possible worlds; for, after all, if you had not been driven from a fine castle by being kicked in the backside for love of Miss Cunégonde, if you hadn’t been sent before the Inquisition, if you hadn’t traveled across America on foot, if you hadn’t given a good sword thrust to the baron, if you hadn’t lost all your sheep from the good land of Eldorado, you wouldn’t be sitting here eating candied citron and pistachios. " - Voltaire.

Many times in my life I ate those pistachios.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It is rare indeed that the urgency of your calling arrives at the time of your choosing or when convenient.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

With Knowledge comes power, with power comes responsibility, with responsibilty comes accountability, with accountability comes maturity, with maturity comes wisdom and with wisdom comes infinity!

I often thought that the person who said "Knowledge is power" was either hiding something or a fool or both.

This was my own expansion of that saying and I live my life by it as much as I can.

edit on 11-5-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Self knowing is power. When you find yourself as the king of now you will have ultimate power.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Victory may consist in fighting your war the way you want. Defeat may then consist in fighting your war the way your enemy wants.

Choose and be content in fighting the way you have chosen, for even in defeat you honor and dignity should remain intact.

Your victory then is not dependant on your enemy losing as your defeat is not dependant on you not winning.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ
Victory may consist in fighting your war the way you want. Defeat may then consist in fighting your war the way your enemy wants.

Choose and be content in fighting the way you have chosen, for even in defeat you honor and dignity should remain intact.

Your victory then is not dependant on your enemy losing as your defeat is not dependant on you not winning.

If you plan defence you have already lost. Carry a weapon and you think the world is against you. The belief that the world is against you makes you a loser.
Approach life empty handed.
Life is not a battle unless you believe it into being.

edit on 12-5-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Used to be stupid enough to think I could do everythng. Thanks to education I am now smart enough to know I can't do sh...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
"We are all just fluff in the turn ups of Gods trousers"
..........Yes he does wear trousers with turn ups - he's kinda old fashioned that way

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
When making a choice, keep in mind the right thing to do is seldom the easy thing to do.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
A man knows how to speak his mind, a wise man knows how not too.

It is easier to not to speak cruel words, than it is to be forgiven for speaking them.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

If you don't stand for something - you will fall for anything

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

OMG
I am sure we can fill this thread with pure golden corn - those words of supposed wisdom that mean less than nothing when viewed critically ...
like .. "It was meant to be" and a variety of similar deflections that place the responsibility of misfortune at the door of anything from providence to omnipotent beings
No - the fool was standing under the crane while it was lifting the .....

OK, but sticking to some real wisdom (hopefully - the temptation is strong to deviate ...)

Here is one I like, a little aged but seemingly more relevant than ever in our modern world and everyone's reaching for fame and fortune
From Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Gondoliers"

when everyone is somebody, then no-one's anybody

And from other great minds
the original Confucius, the Latinized name of K'ung Fu-tzu

Man who take girl to field have ...
Cannot remember the rest but I believe it was his formula to having piece on earth, I mean peace on Earth

I like also
from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
The Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to
from that famous nonsense writer came huge amounts of wisdom in nonsensical disguise.

Shakespeare was also full of it - I mean wise sayings

Beware of entrance to a quarrel; but being in, Bear't that the opposed may beware of thee.
from Hamlet

and the real coup de grâce for me, the philosophy of Da Mo

Feeling not disgusted by corruption and evil,
Nor eager grasping after desire and gain,
Sacrificing not wisdom for the company of fools,
Nor abandoning wonder to preserve the truth,
Reaching the great Dao without excessiveness,
Attaining the Buddha heart without vindictiveness,
Keeping not the path of mere normal holiness,
Transcendent of its own creation.

and ... this one is just from me

never be too serious about taking anything serious too seriously, seriously

KenArten
edit on 16-5-2012 by KenArten because: nity correction, I mean tiny correction

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH CRAP, SHE'S UP"!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
"An eye for an eye - leaves the whole world blind"

Ghandi

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
"Suffering is not in the fact. Suffering is in the perception of the fact."

-Ananda Giri

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by UltimateSkeptic1

but the perception of the fact is also relatively the fact constancy, the fact dont repeat itself while it becomes free so perception right of being from knowing being the fact

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."
-GWB

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
"Sit down before facts like a child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses Nature leads, or you shall learn nothing."
T.H. Huxley

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kushness

Fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - shame on me.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join