It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Succinct sayings , quotes, words of wisdom add yours

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
"In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."
-Eric Hoffer

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
To live is to die, but to ove and be loved, is to live on in the hearts of others, forever.
One of mine

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
"Be careful what you wish for"

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
To know that we are all one and part of something as great as consciousness(reality) is beautiful. But we must never forget individuals who graced us with there presence and shaped our reality and minds for greener pastures. In a world of peoples still finding, searching there way through life. We need someone to stand up and lead us the right way. We need those people to show us we can make a difference. And we must never forget them. Honor there courage to fight for us. Honor there memory so that they remain immortal through out time. That is also a beautiful thing.

-me-

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
One day we will look back on our journey through time as a species in awe. How so few changed lives for so many. You will remember times of misery, pian and suffering. But in the end it will be worth it. Because while we craw scratch and fight today. We make a better world for our children tomorrow. How will you be remembered. Will you stand on the sidelines. Or will you give your all for your planet and for your family. You have the power right now to choose your fate. Don't go down in history as another number. Go down in history as a hero, as a legend. Be the one they will sing of in the halls of valhalla for eternity.

-me-

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
-follow my lead only if I send a sign its safe
if no sign detected regather and retrace-

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.

- Pink Floyd

Am liking that a lot

I prefer the bit at the end though:

Far away across the field,
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spell

Anyhow, one of my favourites is simply:
"The best things in life aren't things" Art Buchwald

And my all time favourite is on my signature.

But on a lighter note, but no less worthy:

"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Benny Hill
Good thread, brings a lot of stuff together in one place.

edit on 8-5-2012 by Mufcutcakeyumyum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Judge dread style. I am the law.

The life of another is impossible to value. It is effortless to value our own lives. It is seen then how the impossible and the effortless can both be true about judgment. It is irrelevant how talented one is for judgment or how effective one is at it. It is flawed since effort put into the impossible is useless and talent for what is effortless is just as useless.

The perfect judge is he that does not pass judgment. He allows value to all things and makes their value their own only, since only they can know their worth. He allows others to place value, he does not impose it on them, rather he has them impose it on themselves thus making his judgments appear effortless and well talented. His judgments are not impossible to discern since it is the individual who recognizes his guilt or innocence and performs his own atonement willing or not.

edit on 8-5-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Ford Prefect before the destruction of Earth.

"Allow the world to live as it chooses, and allow yourself to live as you choose." Richard Bach.

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." R. Bach

"Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't." R. Bach.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Fath had hath know, nor nine, for thine thithin nuhn flown clover.

doens't make any sense but it has the same effect if you give it a nice swing.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If at first you don't succeed - thats your last bungee jump
edit on 8-5-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Love is a rose but you better not pick it
It only grows when it's on the vine
Hand full of thorns and you know you've missed it
You lose your love when you say the word "Mine"

Niel Young

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

Sometimes you have to go the wrong way to get to where you need to be.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
© HCD - " ... said the old lady as she kissed her cow."
- it's about tolerating others, no matter how odd or unusual they may seem.

Author Unknown - "He who makes a garden, works hand in hand with god."
- Master Gardener, gotta luvit!

Author Unknown - "There are two ways to be rich in this world. One is to make lots of money. The other is to have few needs."
- I LIVE by this one.

my sig has my own

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
saw these somewhere;

"Be yourself. the people that matter won't be annoyed, and the people that are annoyed, don't matter."

"If you're not in jail, the hospital, or the unemployment line, stop complaining."

"anyone driving faster than I is an idiot; anyone driving slower than I is a moron."

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
As I step on this battlefield today. I know that I'am standing, fighting with my family, my brothers. You men have bled, and stood with me from the beginning. And I'am proud to know that any one of you would die for me as I would any of you. Today we send these wolves of darkness to hell. And if we shall fall, we will know that we did not cower to fear. But stood right in it's face and spit in it's eyes. We will win. And we will live forever.

-me-

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Desiderata is a poem by Max Ehrmann that my family was reared by. It's also very appropriate advice for the ATS membership as a whole.

Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.[

Other short quips our parents raised us on are:

1. Use your common sense.

- Later in life we learned that some people simply have no common sense and our parents had to amend this one with:
"Common sense is uncommon."
- now there's an oxymoron for you.

2. "Engage brain before putting mouth in gear." ... which is the same as: "Think before you speak."

3. "Little pictures have big ears."
- be careful what you say around children. Allow them to be children before you force feed them adult information.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
A few of my favourites:

"Ignorance is the root of fear, and fear is the kindling of anger."
~ Greg Graffin

"Dreams are imperfections of sleep; even so is consciousness the imperfection of waking."
~ Aleister Crowley

"Religion should be treated like ones own genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats."
~ Unknown

"Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted."
~ John Lennon
edit on 9-5-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

Hey M1P.. great thread.. I'm certain there are many others threads that have ask the same on the site... this one is good and proving to be insightful.. and fresh..

I'd like to start out the gate with my own outlook when I was young.. and then realized..

signature:
Regardless what we both believe, it will not alter the Truth!

My own words there..

As well as these..

Embrace Passion for what it does... and being in love with it if it values life... No Worries there!

There are only two eliments in my life that weakens me with relief... Looking into your Eyes covers it.

I could go on with that theme forever and some of the guys on this site might use the last one...

But on to funny stuff.. these I have heard before..

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King!

Asking me if I'm busy... is like asking a broken legged man in a butt kicking contest if he is busy.. right now I'm in 2nd place!
Don't push your luck!

I could go on forever with those types of sayings.

Love everyones elses insights, Good use of Gray matter I'd say!!.

Jesse

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
"In all trust, there is the possibility of betrayal. But without trust, there's no closeness, no friendship, none of the emotional connections that make us who we are."

...as put by Cmdr. Will Riker, from Star Trek: TNG.

That show has many jewels of wisdom.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join