It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Succinct sayings , quotes, words of wisdom add yours

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If you give everything you have got, you are always a winner.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
My favourite saying is a simple one -

"Be true to yourself"

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Beast Of Gevaudan

Be true to yourself is a great quote.

It is related to this one:

know yourself and do what you want

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Not famous (yet lol) but here's a few of mine....

If you spend all day crying about what happened yesterday, then tomorrow will suck too.

When life kicks your teeth in, put in some dentures and smile.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
seeing how " if is a mighty big word", here's a couple for the word if.

if a grasshopper could fire a .45, the birds wouldn't _ _ _ _ with him. ( expletive deleted) you can add your own
if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he hopped.

here are a few more general one

play with fire and you get burned.
_____ around, lose around.
a hard head, makes for a soft ass.
poor ass folks, got poor ass ways.
damn the mule, load the wagon.
just about as useless, as teats on a bore hog.

edit on 7-5-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
"Walk Your Talk"

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Some of mine I made up:

"When bad things happen in life, get upset for a while but don't dwell. Dwelling only makes things feel worse. Instead, find something to smile about. Even a forced smile turns real after time."

"You'll get mountains in your path while trying to achieve things. Question is, do you stop or do you find a way to go over, through, under or around that mountain?"

"The darkest shadow is cast by bright light. Remember the sun always comes back out."

"It doesn't matter how many times life knocks me to the ground. I'll rest a moment then always get back up and keep moving forward."

"If you want something, do you want it from your heart or from your head? Something from the heart will last forever (or at least a good long time) where something from the head will pass almost as fast as you think you really want to do/have it."

"Everything in life happens for a reason. Things also never happen too late or too soon. They always happen precisely when they're meant to. You'll find out in the future why things work out when they do."

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
All quotes by Dostoevsky, the greatest author of all time.

If anyone could prove to me that Christ is outside the truth, and if the truth really did exclude Christ, I should prefer to stay with Christ and not with truth.

It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt.

To be acutely conscious is a disease, a real, honest-to-goodness disease.

When… in the course of all these thousands of years has man ever acted in accordance with his own interests?

Is it really not possible to touch the gaming table without being instantly infected by superstition?

Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.

It wasn't the New World that mattered ... Columbus died almost without seeing it; and not really knowing what he had discovered. It's life that matters, nothing but life — the process of discovering, the everlasting and perpetual process, not the discovery itself, at all

Lack of originality, everywhere, all over the world, from time immemorial, has always been considered the foremost quality and the recommendation of the active, efficient and practical man...

Roman Catholicism is even worse than Atheism itself, in my opinion! Yes, that's my opinion! Atheism only preaches a negation, but Catholicism goes further: it preaches a distorted Christ, a Christ calumniated and defamed by themselves, the opposite of Christ! It preaches the Antichrist, I declare it does, I assure you it does!
(Knew this one before ever reading it, I guess some others I knew as well)

A fool with a heart and no sense is just as unhappy as a fool with sense and no heart.

Inventors and geniuses have almost always been looked on as no better than fools at the beginning of their career, and very frequently at the end of it also.

Man is unhappy because he doesn't know he's happy. It's only that.

Hold your tongue; you won't understand anything. If there is no God, then I am God.

I am a ridiculous person. Now they call me a madman.

Oh, how hard it is to be the only man to know the truth! But they won't understand that. No, they will not understand.

A dream! What is a dream? And is not our life a dream? I will say more. Suppose that this paradise will never come to pass (that I understand), yet I shall go on preaching it. And yet how simple it is: in one day, in one hour everything could be arranged at once! The chief thing is to love others like yourself, that's the chief thing, and that's everything; nothing else is wanted — you will find out at once how to arrange it all. And yet it's an old truth which has been told and retold a billion times — but it has not formed part of our lives! The consciousness of life is higher than life, the knowledge of the laws of happiness is higher than happiness — that is what one must contend against. And I shall. If only everyone wants it, it can be arranged at once.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
"Each bird loves to hear himself sing."

"If Hell exists, we're all residents."

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
"If you're walking through hell keep walking"

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

Something I made up:
The only time I like the word quit, is when "never" is used in front of it...

From a Chinese fortune cookie:
Never explain yourself.. A friend doesn't need an explanation, and an enemy won't believe you anyway..

And one I totally despise:
Hope for the best and expect the worst..
I changed it to:
Hope for the best and expect it!

Oh, I can go on and on with these..

Later my friends...

edit on 7-5-2012 by syrinx2112 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
awesome thread. I like it very much.

The source of all things is often the end of them as well. Life is a great circle and all things are "born" from where others "die".

It is not the quest of the wise to search for a permanent ground to stand on, but rather a firm ground to walk on while walking ones path.

The "new" is just the old we do not recognize.

All Power is inevitably usurped.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
i recently found a passage i've become quite smitten with, here are my favorite excerpts:

If you talk much, this will make you deaf to what others say, and you should know that there are few so wise that they cannot learn from others.

Be near when help is needed, but far when praise and thanks are being offered. Take small account of might, wealth and fame, for they soon pass and are forgotten. Instead, nurture love within you and and strive to be a friend to all. Truly, compassion is a balm for many wounds. Treasure silence when you find it, and while being mindful of your duties, set time aside, to be alone with yourself.

-Dhammavadaka Sutra

Trust in the lord with all your HEART
and lean not on your own understanding;
acknowledge him in All your ways
and he shall direct thy paths

-Proverbs 3:5, 6

i could do this All day

Great thread, S+F!
edit on 5/7/12 by soulshn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.

- Pink Floyd

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
A man may be a pessimistic determinist before lunch and an optimistic believer in the will's freedom after it.
-Aldous Huxley

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
They wouldn`t put rubbers on the ends of pencils if no-one made mistakes.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

"allow me to trust you as you would like to trust me"

op13

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
One who knows, does not know. One who does not know, knows.
~ Confucious

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
You lead by example.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
"Eat, drink, and be fat and drunk"

"Assume makes an ass out of u AND me"

And from my favorite father: Thomas Jefferson

"And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter."

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. "

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Thomas Jefferson Quoting Cesare Beccaria)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear."

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join