It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warping Space, Time, and Distance

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

And fitting in might just lead to demise as well.

You know, I didn't make the connection before now, but, while we've been talking about the formation of the universe and the existence of everything in it, I've been doing some translation work on Genesis. I guess you might call that 'synchronicity' (of course, it also might be subconsciously steering my conversation...which is quite possible).

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by ImaFungi

No matter what we do, we can never create that which has existed since the creation of the universe. We can create all the lions we want...but can we create the elements that comprise them? Can we create electrons, and neutrons, and photons, and quarks? Can we create the very fabric of space? Do we have any semblance of authority over any of these things?

So true all we can do is use the matter that already exists be it earth water fire air or thought
We can turn fertile soil into sand by misuse or nurture and feed soil so it is fertile
We are beings of choice in this regard

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

That should make what we do with what we have all the more significant. If we screw it up, we can't recreate it.

... wasn't this thread at one time about gravity wells and Neptune?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Warping Space, Time, and Distance - Was the title of the thread yes
Seemed to have strayed somewhat off orbit regarding that but very interesting to hear your thoughts nevertheless

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by jiggerj

Imagine ripples in a pond how far the initial dropped stone or Sun's influence spreads

edit on 6-5-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

The ripples would push the planets away. And please keep in mind we're talking about OVER FOUR BILLION MILES between the sun and Neptune.

Also, what's keeping all the rocks in the Kuiper Belt hanging around?

you keep saying "MILES" as if a mile is anything of significance in measurement when speaking of interplanetary terms... it's really NOT that far a distance to our sun from here... GALACTICLY speaking...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

reply to post by dragonridr

The universe could exist without light. It would be dark, but it would get a long just fine. Even Maxwell's equations would remain even if light failed to stay at 299,792,458 m/s all the time. It's just that light always has to be travelling at the defined speed of light in order to exist.

If it were dark then gravity and mass wouldn't exist. This is where Einstein showed that energy is matter and vice versa. There are four fundamental interactions or forces: gravitation, electromagnetism, the weak interaction, and the strong interaction.Any of these fail and the others will as well. So saying you can have mass without electromagnetism doesnt work.Heres something thats fun since you like to quiz people,We know gravity effects light but can light effect gravity.Or to word it differently can you use light to create gravity??

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

The universe could exist without light. It would be dark, but it would get a long just fine. Even Maxwell's equations would remain even if light failed to stay at 299,792,458 m/s all the time. It's just that light always has to be travelling at the defined speed of light in order to exist.

If it were dark then gravity and mass wouldn't exist. This is where Einstein showed that energy is matter and vice versa. There are four fundamental interactions or forces: gravitation, electromagnetism, the weak interaction, and the strong interaction.Any of these fail and the others will as well. So saying you can have mass without electromagnetism doesnt work.Heres something thats fun since you like to quiz people,We know gravity effects light but can light effect gravity.Or to word it differently can you use light to create gravity??

But if you think about it there are dark objects we cant see that exist
Also perhaps without any light it would be a radio Universe
edit on 9-5-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

We know gravity effects light but can light effect gravity.Or to word it differently can you use light to create gravity??

Also, I've seen a few documentaries that tried to explain where gravity comes from. The explanation was that gravity was pouring in from other universes, and I don't get this at all. I thought mass generated gravity. Did I just not understand?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Light does produce a gravitational field because it's energy, with the gravitational field being a result of the stress-energy tensor.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Light does produce a gravitational field because it's energy, with the gravitational field being a result of the stress-energy tensor.

I like you i guess im not the only fool to try to wrap by head around physics.Why do we do this to ourselves.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

There was a time when I wanted to do it for a living. That was before I encountered university Calculus. Since then, it's been relegated to a past-time.
I've been playing devil's advocate to Einstein for a decade now. It's the second most important (and by far the most useless) thing I do.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

That sounds to me like brane cosmology. If I were you, I wouldn't get too far into that. Basically, it says that gravity is weak because gravitons expend most of their strength in a fifth dimension called the "bulk."

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

We know gravity effects light but can light effect gravity.Or to word it differently can you use light to create gravity??

Also, I've seen a few documentaries that tried to explain where gravity comes from. The explanation was that gravity was pouring in from other universes, and I don't get this at all. I thought mass generated gravity. Did I just not understand?

The reason this theory was postulated is because its a mystery as to why gravity is so weak. Look at the earth for a moment its mass is 5.9722 × 1024 kg and the average person weighs say around 84.0 kg. Even with this massive difference you actually able to move around jump up ect. If gravity was as strong as the other forces we would be a puddle of matter sitting on the earth. However the theory is and mind you this is a loose interpretation of it goes something like this. In order to explain why gravity is so weak there must be more space involved.So if there was another dimension for example that doubles the space gravity has to effect. And as we know from Newton each time we double the distance between to object we decrease its gravitational pull by 4 times. So if gravity didnt originate in our universe the math actually works out quite well.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

There was a time when I wanted to do it for a living. That was before I encountered university Calculus. Since then, it's been relegated to a past-time.
I've been playing devil's advocate to Einstein for a decade now. It's the second most important (and by far the most useless) thing I do.

I used to think the same way i was sure Einstein had to be wrong mostly because to be honest didnt want it to be true but i eventually gave up.I really hate the fact he made it so hard to Explore the universe.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Every once in a while, I poke around to see if I can come up with a theory that has the same mathematical appearance but from a different physical basis. I've made attempts, but mostly now just for the sake of keeping myself entertained. The fact is, Einstein is right, as far as the math is concerned...but that doesn't mean he's right about why the math is what it is. I run with that about once a year, just for fun.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Could gravity enter the Universe from Black Holes

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I give very little credence to this theory but to answer your question no not in the way your thinking any way. Gravity from black holes is due to the mass in the black hole. So the gravity well from a black hole wouldnt be somehow transfered to earth for example.I hope that answers it unless i miss understood the question. There is something we still dont understand about gravity but i dont believe it has anything to do with another dimension.

Ps this is where the Higgs boson comes in if there theory is correct it confers mass on matter and is thought to be one of the building blocks to the universe.
edit on 5/9/12 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I give very little credence to this theory but to answer your question no not in the way your thinking any way. Gravity from black holes is due to the mass in the black hole. So the gravity well from a black hole wouldnt be somehow transfered to earth for example.I hope that answers it unless i miss understood the question. There is something we still dont understand about gravity but i dont believe it has anything to do with another dimension.

Oh I never knew it was a theory - It was just a wild stab in the dark so to speak.
Are Black Holes another dimension - Or in this Universe?
I guess if they are sucking in matter down to a singularity and that singularity can not be measured because we do not know how much matter they can compress then perhaps gravity which is created by matter or mass pushes out gravity or am I hopelessly confused?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Oh I never knew it was a theory - It was just a wild stab in the dark so to speak.
Are Black Holes another dimension - Or in this Universe?
I guess if they are sucking in matter down to a singularity and that singularity can not be measured because we do not know how much matter they can compress then perhaps gravity which is created by matter or mass pushes out gravity or am I hopelessly confused?

The theory i was referring to was gravity originating in another dimension.The math works out ok but it makes some huge leaps of faith.As for black holes they dont compress matter at all.They warp time easiest way to explain is try to get somewhere by halving the distance each time you step you never will actually reach your destination.For example first step 3 ft next one 1.5 ft then the next .75 ft ect ect so on and so on. Youll never be able to reach your destination.In effect this is what happens in a black hole the closer you get to the center the slower time moves the slower time moves the longer it takes for matter to reach the singularity.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Thanks for explaining - Black Holes sound really wild and weird - If only we could see into them but our laws of physics seem to say No.
If they are like halving time each step then they are sorta infinite I guess

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join