It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado hits eastern Japan, killing one...and nuclear power plants shut down.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Tornado hits eastern Japan, killing one

A tornado ripped through Tsukuba, 60 kilometers (40 miles) northeast of Tokyo on Sunday, killing a teenager, wounding dozens of others, cutting power and destroying houses.

A 14-year-old boy was killed and scores wounded on Sunday as a tornado swept through the Japanese city of Tsukuba in Ibaraki prefecture, located 60 kilometers northeast of the capital Tokyo.

www.dw.de...

I had no clue that Japan even got tornadoes.....here is some amazing video footage:

A new report showing the damage left:

and in other news, Japan has shut down the last of its nuclear reactors:

Japan Shuts Down Last Nuclear Reactor

Nearly 14 months after a powerful earthquake and tsunami triggered the most severe nuclear accident since Chernobyl, Japan is shutting down the last of its nuclear reactors. After the accident, the Japanese government imposed safety tests on all nuclear power plants.

www.voanews.com...

But the thing is, the people don't want them turned back on.....so what will happen (well, 30% of Japan's electrical power is from nuclear, so if they don't turn them back on, then they will be experiencing some blackouts)

Thoughts on either story?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Will we ever get good news out of Japan again? I'm starting to wonder lately

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Originally posted by MidnightTide

I had no clue that Japan even got tornadoes....

FYI:

1. How do tornadoes form?

Tornadoes form where warm moist air is trapped underneath a layer of cold, dry air. This instability is upset when the warm bottom layer gets pushed up — either by heating near the ground, or by an influx of cold air.

2. Where do tornadoes form?

Tornadoes can occur almost anywhere in the world, but the United States is the country with the highest frequency of tornadoes. About 1,000 tornadoes hit the United States each year.

www.livescience.com...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Talk about getting kicked while your down. Japan is getting hammered. I saw this on the news this morning and I could not believe it! I don't remember ever hearing about a tornado in Japan. They must wonder what is going on.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Its going to be very interesting to see what happens with their nuclear power. If they keep them shut down, what are they going to do with all that nuclear material?

Japan has an enormous amount of reactors. All store nuclear material. So what happens to it, if japan goes off of nuclear power?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Yeah,. japan has been in the dark side lately..
and what is up with those wiper blades,, its like they are made of all soft rubber,, real flimsy..

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Poor Japan, I wonder just why it keeps getting bashed. Such a wonderful country too, Best wishes to you Japan.=(

new topics

top topics

join