It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm poor and a member of Gen-Y. Please tell me how useless I am again.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
That's right, I'm poor. Please tell me how I'm good for nothing, lazy, uneducated, or any of the other ten thousand ways that some of you people use to make yourself feel better than me, while you demand that I "pay my fair share". I'm sorry that you pay more in taxes than I make in a year.

I don't take food stamps or anything like that out of pride. Oh, wait, there are actually poor people that are trying to work their way up instead of just living off your hard earned money? Your poor little holier-than-thou bubble must be totally broken into a thousand pieces.

Unfortunately, I'm coming into a difficult dilemma. I'm coming to a point very soon where it may be that I have to choose between paying car insurance, property tax, and student loans or keep a roof over my head and food on the table. Guess what I've decided?

I'm just going to give up and go camping in the Ozarks or something. I'm a useless drain on society because I'm poor, right? I'm nothing but a good for nothing little narcissist because I'm member of Gen Y, right?

I've been told over and over and over by teachers and principals and pretty much everybody over 35 that my generation is spoiled and can't work. It doesn't matter what I do, people are always looking for some minute mistake, combing every single little detail as to why I can't seem to get ahead. And even the smallest fault is berated as idiotic and this is all your fault.

I've finally decided that I'm going to finally take my useless, thieving, drain on society label and embrace it. Congrats, old folks, one less stupid kid to worry about in your glorious society
You've created a society where I can't take responsibility for myself.

So I'm simply going to drop everything and refuse to try.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
stop whining and get a job you hippy freak!!!
no no no,just kidding!

im an older person and i too have fell on hard times. ya it sux.
i exist only on the basics. no luxuries. not even a car.
pride can be a sin,but if you do have to drop your pride,do it for the right reason.
i feel for you friend,and i wish you well being.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

go for it
if the system can not bring in more tax payers than the last generation for every proceeding generation it will cease to function
its a pyramid scheme and it only works as long as you can bring fresh blood in and in greater numbers to pay for the spending and entitlements of the previous "investors" of the system
if not now a wall will be hit eventually (though it appears we have already come to that point) just due to the fact having the population grow exponentially forever is not a viable option
the quicker it happens the less catastrophic it will be

edit on 6-5-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Don't refuse to try, you only have a few things required of you to fit in normal society

CONSUME
OBEY
COVET

Add some lying, cheating, stealing and manipulation in there and you could be a CEO or even president

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Monsatan

Wow what a deluded view you have, you appear to suffer the same stereotypical bias the OP is speaking about.

There are many CEO's and presidents that have got where they are with intelligence, honesty and all morals intact.

Who are you to label someone as a liar and cheater just because they're a CEO.

It's so petty and immature.

edit on 6/5/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

You've also apparently embraced the idea that what other people tell you about yourself is right and that it's not up to you to determine who or what you are on your own.

When people think or say something negative about me, I usually take that as a challenge to prove them wrong. I guess you and I are different that way.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
You need to stop believing yourself to be a victim. You think you have it tough? Believe me, there are people whose live's are worse than you could probably imagine. Child Labourers, working in Copper mines in the Congo for example.

You have something more powerful than poverty. You have the ability to take control of your own thoughts and direct them to an achievable goal. Some of the most successful people in history came from some of the toughest back grounds. Yet these people do not let it stop them.

You will never get anything satisfactory from life, if you keep running away from the hard parts. It's not meant to be easy.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Absolutely they can, it's how my business was gobbled up by someone who does cheat and manipulate.. sorry if thirteen years of hard work and dedication only to lose everything overnight leaves that kind of bias. It doesn't make it any less true for the vast majority

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

On the contrary, I simply grow weary of trying to prove them wrong. I'm tired of trying to do things right and still getting kicked in the teeth for it. Instead of beating my head against a wall, I'm simply going to give up and embrace the stereotype.

I guess you and I are different that way

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I get what you're saying, we study for years and are made to believe that will lead us to an accomplished life.
Well, guess what? It doesn't.
Almost all the jobs are taken, the ones that aren't are getting harder to find and most of them are asking for 3-5years experience, I can't have experience if no one gives me a damn job now can I? And this is for reeeeeaally low paying jobs and I'm tired of hearing to suck it up and move on when it's impossible to even move out and keep the house secured.

Don't take any help from the state, still leave with my mom, so yes let them all tell us how ignorant lazy ass bastards we are.
And why, seriously, why do we have to bend down to this broken system when it'll never work? They call us idealistic nutjobs but it is broken from the start and the ones that support are insane and affraid of having to figure out the changes that need to be made.

I understand what you're feeling, had the desire to just up and leave for a good time now, but we have to be stuborn even if it amounts to nothing, even if in the end we all loose.

Peace, and never let your self-worth be decided by the amount of cash you have.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

But that's the stereotype that I'm supposed to live up to. My generation is useless little good for nothings. I mean, everybody says so. I'm just doing what the older folks expect of us kids, after all.

As for what you say, you're wrong. There is no hope for my generation. What hope there might have been at one point was sold to the highest bidder a long time ago.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Dude stop being lazy and push yourself to get a job, work your way up that ladder, we have all felt the way you did, but you just can't give up and say F this.

Life is tough and it will only get tougher, it's why it makes it a challenge each day.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
People are losing their jobs, homes and life savings faster than ever before. The cost of food,
gas and other necessities are skyrocketing. Who's fault is that? Hmm.....must be the OP's fault.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I can live with vast majority and I'm sorry to hear about your issues.

It is tough out there, I haven't taken a proper wage for over a year because every cent my business makes goes back into it to try and build it and it's starting to pay off...with integrity intact.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Why bother with what others think or say about you?
They can only see the outside of a person and know nothing of your true being.
I dropped the burden of caring about others opinions of me long ago and am a much happier person for it.
Your path in life will only be confused and the only thing of real importance is what you believe about yourself.
Deep inside you know who you are and that is good enough.
edit on 6-5-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I can understand your frustration but you can't really let it get you down.

I know of a man who started out working on a sheep station, he had to drop out of school very early to earn money to live as his family abandoned him as well.

This all happened when he was 14-15 years old.

He now has a Harvard business degree and is worth millions.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Normally I like to read your thoughts on various topics, even though I do not always agree. That said...

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

There are always those within every generation that don't toe the line and move forward anyways despite the odds against them. Just look at Zuckerberg.

Your rant could have come from and probably was heard from every generation since time begin. I know plenty of Gen-Y folk who bust their butt daily to make ends meet and make a pretty penny at it as well. They're plumbers, electricians, garbagemen, etc. They also make society function.

Don't take life's setbacks so personal. If you are not making it in the field you like, maybe it's time to review your lifes goals and reflect on other options and move on towards those new goals. Be flexible.

And good luck.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Wow what a deluded view you have, you appear to suffer the same stereotypical bias the OP is speaking about.

There are many CEO's and presidents that have got where they are with intelligence, honesty and all morals intact.

Who are you to label someone as a liar and cheater just because they're a CEO.

It's so petty and immature.

Then you are blind.. Yes, there are good and honest people out there that worked themselves up, but the richest out there in general did it in dishonest ways.
All you have to do is look at what these people do. Some of them don't care about anything other than making even more money, which they often do at others expense.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I hate to say it, but each generation after the next has been accused of being lazier than the last.
Its the last few decades they've been given a "title"
- were they called the "beatniks" in the 60s? And its gone from there.

I've read where the older generations get accused of wrecking it for the younger generations.
From what I've gathered, we've all been told that if we work hard and get some schoolin', everything will be alright.
That was a lie, started by ruling factions.
We've been lied to for many generations; its the net that has finally gotten the truth out of the perpetrators of that lie.
Whats missing from schools? Plenty-- and a class in Life 101 somewhere along the line would've been cool. Its no surprise they don't teach it, til we all live it.

Don't let yourself be pigeoned-holed in to groupings or classifications - its all name calling, and it helps to feed the lie.
This is where you distinguish yourself from the false "herding" - its a tough go, and it doesn't end any time soon. The best to you.

To be clear, I'm not trying to belittle or demean your point, as it is valid in it's claims.
Words are the strongest "weapon". The originators of the lie know this.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me
is also a lie.
edit on 6-5-2012 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: forgot to add

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Why bother with what others think or say about you?
They can only see the outside of a person and know nothing of your true being.
I dropped the burden of caring about others opinions of me long ago and am a much happier person for it.
Your path in life will only be confused and the only thing of real importance is what you believe about yourself.
Deep inside you know who you are and that is good enough.
edit on 6-5-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

It will still affect people even if they try to pretend it does not. Being called useless for years like this will get into your subconscious. I am personally in a similar issue due to some health problems and it has really taken a toll on my self confidence. I have basically completely given up now even trying to do something with my life.

But I guess it is different for everyone.. Such # sure has affected the person I am today.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join