It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids fingerprinted at school!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

Getting your photo taken and fingerprints taken in order to get your green card is a slight, little bit different than 5 year old citizen children being fingerprinted in Kindergarten. Wouldn't you admit? Maybe, just a little bit different?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bakatono

Getting your photo taken and fingerprints taken in order to get your green card is a slight, little bit different than 5 year old citizen children being fingerprinted in Kindergarten. Wouldn't you admit? Maybe, just a little bit different?

Where did I say it was the same? I was simply stating that I had to get my fingerprints soon, and if my hubby or my 1 year old son moved to Canada from the US they would also have to get theirs done, no choice on our end.

As for 5 year olds getting finger printed...I don't know. Here we have all of these people posting that they were finger printed back in the 80s and early 90s and nothing terrible has happened to them...some would say 'yet'.

I do think that it is wrong they did it without parental consent. Anything involving my child or anybody elses child should go through the parents first no matter what.

But I dont' know if it is a terrible thing in and of itself to finger print if that is what the parents want to do. Of course it can be used nefariously, but so can many things. I could get in a car crash when I drive my car next, but that doesn't mean I don't drive ever. Somebody at the dmv could take the photo from my license and use it to commit identity fraud against me, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to get my photo taken. Bad things happen but so can good things happen.

What if having a finger print saved a child in an abduction case? Who knows? I'm not willing to take a hard stance on the fingerprinting thing, but like I said before it is very important to have full parental consent to do anything involving a child.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

So, I may be reading your response incorrectly, but it appears to say that this is OK because it protects the children?

Isn't this just another one of those bogeyman "suffer the little children" excuses for doing horrible things? Think of the children dammit!

Sure, it would be great to have prints if they helped save a child who was abducted. To my knowledge, that has never happened. It may have helped identify them afterwards though.

I was never printed in the 80's or 90's so just because a member or two on this board was doesn't mean anything. They were kids, perhaps their parents consented to it? Perhaps they requested it?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

So, I may be reading your response incorrectly, but it appears to say that this is OK because it protects the children?

Isn't this just another one of those bogeyman "suffer the little children" excuses for doing horrible things? Think of the children dammit!

Sure, it would be great to have prints if they helped save a child who was abducted. To my knowledge, that has never happened. It may have helped identify them afterwards though.

I was never printed in the 80's or 90's so just because a member or two on this board was doesn't mean anything. They were kids, perhaps their parents consented to it? Perhaps they requested it?

You are reading it incorrectly. I said that parental consent should be required in every single situation involving a child and I did not agree with the schools doing it behind their back.

I am still unwilling to say that fingerprinting in and of itself is a terrible thing, and what 'horrible things' are you referring to? Did something horrible happen because of a child being fingerprinted? I must have missed that part.

edit on 6-5-2012 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Ok. If you are for consent than I think we are in agreement.

As for having a DB of everyone not being too harmful? I suppose we may disagree on that.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bakatono

It doesn't mean anything, except that it isn't anything new. I know for a fact that my mother was never informed beforehand, for myself or my younger siblings. She actually just recently (within the last 2 months) brought it up, because she found the fingerprinting kits that they sent home after the fact, for our parents to have a kit at home as well.

I know that with the way things are getting now - less and less trust of big government, and basically everyone and their grandmother having access to the internet to share stories of injustices (some legitimate), that it sounds like things are turning into a police state. And maybe they are, I for one am certainly not privy to classified, behind the scenes info., so I wouldn't know one way or another. But what I do know is that people sometimes have a tendency to read too much into things and sensationalize average or common things.

I asked the OP if they contacted the school to ask why it was done. The OP also asked in their post if this was a normal thing. Several of us have responded and said it was normal for us and our area.

The OP stated that it was printed on the school schedule as "County School Fingerprinting" so it doesn't appear to be anything they are trying to hide, I'm sure someone would be willing to offer an explanation if asked. ...although, maybe the answer would be much to mundane...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

As for having a DB of everyone not being too harmful? I suppose we may disagree on that.

Of course it could be harmful. Many things CAN be harmful. But the govt already has a huge DB on everyone I think? Birth certificates, social security numbers, bank accounts, drivers licenses, so many things so many ways.

If they started forcing fingerprints then I would say we should demand to know why and where this information is going to and for what purpose it is being used. In fact this information should already be offered to the parents as in 'hey we want to fingerprint your children for future purposes in case a crime is committed' etc. My problem is with trickery and manipulation to attain an end result, but not necessarily the act itself (for the time being).
edit on 6-5-2012 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I am curious if you would say where you are emigrating from? You stated you are getting your green card soon. I am curious if it is more totalitarian than where you are emigrating too.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

There are lots of databases of everyone. If you combine the vital statistics departments of every state, you have a database of everyone's birth and death. Social Security covers pretty much everyone, and they give you a convenient wallet-sized card with your database key. The Census makes a database of everyone every ten years.

But, as far as I know, there is no database that has everyone's fingerprints. If there were, this is not how you'd go about collecting prints for it. "Making a butterfly" on a blank piece of paper is not conducive to getting a good, classifiable ten-print. And it would take all day, because this can be hard even for cooperative adults to get right. Thirty impatient, nose-picking children smearing boogers and paste all over a LiveScan, or making pretty designs on a hard card, would be a nightmare. Whatever Identakid et al. do may be useful when trying to locate or identify a missing child, but this doesn't sound like they were collecting data for large-scale automated searches.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

So i stopped everything i was doing today and read and reread this. I researched it and my mind is blown.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by semperkill

I was fingerprinted and video/voice recorded at grade school in the early 1980's. The purpose was "In case we get kidnapped"...for the same reason I pulled my retinal photograph from my file at the eye doctor, I wish I had gotten my hands on that early on.
Parents should have their kids' prints. There's no reason the po,ice (or any other agency) should have them on file.

The program, in Illinois in the early 80's was called I-Search

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well, I thought I'd come back after talking to my Son about this over dinner. He's not seen or heard of any of this happening beyond the Identi-kits that he clearly recalls we all did for his abduction kit. Our half of that stuff is sitting in my safe, where it should be. Those make sense...and not having it, is actually kinda foolish in the world we live in.

We're still asking the school about this in the morning because the fact it hasn't come up yet, doesn't mean it won't in the time he has left this year.

We handled that possibility with him in simply telling him this..... If he's asked to do something we've said no about OR that he's personally uncomfortable with which isn't normal for his day he's to flat out say No. Say no once, say it 1,000 times. We do not care, we told him. We will back him 100% and no threat, no yelling and no statements anyone else makes to him should ever get him to change on his position if he feels it fits the general guidelines we explained.

I'd rather deal with pissed off school people several times over than deal with the aftermath of his being pushed into something he shouldn't have been ONCE. I'm already off the District's X-mas card list...so heck with 'em if they can't take a joke.

However, there is absolutely no way we'll permit fingerprints or anything else to be taken from our Son...IF we have any way to prevent it....when it's being done without telling us, let alone explaining in detail why it's necessary. These are OUR CHILDREN, not theirs. I don't even care if they appreciate it or not. I'm not asking their permission, but they WILL ask MINE.

...If tomorrow produces anything more interesting from school people, I'll come back and drop another note. For now, I'd hope our talk with him covers more than just fingerprints...but anything that gets thrown at him in a similar way.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I remember when i was in fifth grade (1985) we had a field trip to the police dept they showed us around and during the tour one of the stops was the booking room were me and the rest of the students had our finger prints taken.
edit on 6-5-2012 by smoking man because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2012 by smoking man because: spelling

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by semperkill

Yup and unfortunately it will all be smudged under the cover of the Federal Specifications to State Identification Cards. Bio-metrics and all. Whats sad is, most of us here are labeled conspiracy theorists, when most of the information that we speak of is public record. To anyone that is in denial or opposition, I urge you to visit government websites where this information is available. I recently read the Healthcare plan and its shocking to see what Congress has implemented and will execute. Its almost along the lines of the sci-fi-esque measures outline in the recently ratified NDAA bill......

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This is nothing new, had the same thing done 20yrs ago in preschool.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I really wish that fingerprinting children was out of the norm. I was in kindergarten 30 years ago and I remember we were fingerprinted and this was a very rural area in the bible belt. I found it very uncomfortable at the time and looking back I find it even more disturbing.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Ok, maybe I'm just not thinking in the right mindset here...how is this a bad thing? So what if they have my son's fingerprints? All I hear is a bunch of "what if's" about being framed down the road. If "they" wanna get you for something, they sure don't need finger prints to do it. Like it has been said again and again-this has been going on for decades. It's nothing new.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mechcb
[mor

LOL. Come on guys. So its been going on for years. Whats the problem? Its only a fingerprint.
Regardless of how long this has been going on, do these invasive security tactics not sit well with you? Smh@the willingness...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
In response to the school trips to the Police Station, to me it always seemed like a way to get the childrens identities on file in a way that isn't alarming to the child. Yes it might not help them find your child if he/she is kidnapped but if they find the body it makes it quite easy to find out their identity so they can inform the parent/guardian.
While it is a grim fact, would you rather have your son or daughter be found dead and have no way to have them identified and reported to you so you can mourn properly? I haven't a clue what they do with unclaimed or unidentified corpses but I can't imagine it's anything you would wish on a family member. It's good to be wary of many things, but when you look for sinister motives behind everything you're going to find them even where they aren't.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RapturousVerbatim
It's good to be wary of many things, but when you look for sinister motives behind everything you're going to find them even where they aren't.

Exactly what I try to tell people-nicely put!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join