It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A stupid Question about time travel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by lordvader

LV...first of all...if you are in a Space Craft that first obtains orbit around Earth...you are traveling not only at a specific speed around the Earth...but are also traveling along with the Earth and the Sun and the entire solar system at the speed you specified as we are all traveling around the galactic Core.

Therefore....all you would have to do is orbit the Earth to arrive at the destination the solar system would be in two years for two years...or not leave the planet at all. LOL!

E.T. does not use a conventional method of Travel in that...since it is 4.2 Light Years in distance to our Solar Systems nearest Star other than our sun....and even if you could travel 80% of the speed of light....it would take many years just to be able to accelerate to that speed since the Human Body can only take so many G-Forces of accelleration before we are crushed to death. So it make take as much as 15 to 20 years or more of gradual acceleration to get to top speed and then 15 to 20 years or more of gradual decelleration to be able to saftly stop.

Even this is possibly to quick a process of accelleration and decelleration as it would mean that during the entire trip...no one would be able to move as they would be pinned to their seats on the way there and then the seat would have to be reversed and we would be pinned to them during our slow down period. So practicle travel using an Engine that uses force and kinetic energy...would perhaps take a century or more.

This is why E.T. uses a Gravitic Drive. This method of travel is based upon generating a massive amount of Energy to be specifically directed as a way to FOLD the Space/Time Geometry as Energy and Mass are interchangable a large quantity of Energy can create a Gravity Well and Warp or Fold Space. Using this method of Travel...a Craft can JUMP from one point to another point in Space/Time instantaniously so it travels without moving. This is by creating a Singularity to a specific extent which is an example of One Dimentionality. The Greater the Energy Output...the Greater the Fold or Warping of Space/Time.

Navigation is the real Bitch as I have not a clue how they do this. Split Infinity

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
There's one thing I've always wondered about time travel. This might sound like an idiotic question, but just hear me out.

Okay, say somebody has a time machine. What if they were to take a poo on a plate and place that plate on a table, then they step into the time machine and go back in time two days. When they got out of the time machine, would that plate have food on it?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordvader
Ok CLPrime my question now is if instead of being in orbit outside earth if an aircraft were to achieve 20% speed of light and flying at an altitude of let's say 40,000 meters would then be somewhat traveling in time.

Going at 20% the speed of light will cause perceivable time dilation no matter where you are. According to someone on the aircraft, a clock on the ground will gain 1 second for every 50 seconds that go by in the air. So, let's say the plane stayed in flight for 5 hours according to a clock on the plane. The person on the plane will see a clock on the ground show 5 hours and 6 seconds. According to the person on the plane, the Earth has time travelled ahead 6 seconds.
Of course, according to the observer on the ground, it will be the plane that has time travelled ahead by 6 seconds, because the moving and stationary clocks will have been reversed.

Also regarding how we perceive time I go back to my earlier question if a gravitational wave hits our solar system and earth and does not have an effect on time for us but the wave does change the position of our solar system by either slowing or accelerating it's orbit, then for an observer on another planet at the far end of our galaxy or universe will it not cause distortion in the calculations for our distance and also if we extrapolate to a bigger model will it not cause distortion in measuring the accurate age of the cosmos?

Why would it cause a distortion in the calculations for our distance?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

There would be no plate...it wasn't there 2 days ago.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
So CLPrime in short what you are saying is 1. No gravitational wave that may hit earth will cause distortion in Time and 2. going at a speed less than speed of light no matter of fast will not cause time travel. is this synopsis correct?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

So CLPrime in short what you are saying is 1. No gravitational wave that may hit earth will cause distortion in Time

A gravity wave is something someone made up, probably for an episode of Star Trek.
The only gravity strong enough to create a significant time dilation is that around a black hole.

and 2. going at a speed less than speed of light no matter of fast will not cause time travel. is this synopsis correct?

Actually, the opposite is true. Going at any speed at all will cause time travel (relative to an observer at rest) due to velocity time dilation. It only becomes noticeable, though, at around 10% of the speed of light. Those kinds of speeds aren't currently possible.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Time travel isn't a real thing that can exist, because time is merely an abstraction of motion.

(second line)
edit on 6-5-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Ok this really might be a stupid question but I'll put it out anyway.

Our Solar System revolves around the galactic core/center once every 280 million years at the speed of 220 Km/s or less than 1% of light speed.

Now if we calculate the precise point in space where the solar system will be in about say 2 years time and we are able to build a manned or unmanned ship that can reach there faster than we will, then can we technically say that we have achieved time travel?

we are no where near building something that can travel at the speed of light but in about another 60-80 years we can come up with some form of a spacecraft that travels at only 10% the speed of light.

What do members think?

(Mods please move to appropriate board if required)

Finding a shortcut isn't time travel. It saves time, but that's not the same achievement.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
So time travel to the past is impossible because since the begging of the universe there has been non stop change.... to go to the past would require the ability to connect to a copy of the universe that existed exactly as it did in the past,, which is impossible because all things are constantly in motion and changing.....

time travel to the future as a being i can only imagine is possible in the way of preserving the beings structure and body (freezing them) so to make them miss out on the surrounding consistent experience of time... their body being a chamber void of the effects of any kind of time,, so to them subjectively and relatively would have traveled in time to a future state of the universe...... i dont know if the science fiction ideas of a person in a moment traveling to a future state of the universe is possible, because that future and all future, second to second, moment to moment, would have to be laid out in its existence to travel to a specific and arbitrary point in that future..

this last thought got me to thinking that maybe the idea for humans to bury bodies in caskets in a preserving kind of way is a subconscious craving,, because possibly in the future maybe we can clone and make copies of those who once were alive using their DNA?? this might also be related to end times prophecies of "raising the dead" ...
edit on 6-5-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

It is my personal opinion that the forward motion of time or the perceived forward motion of time relative to the human existence is just the perceived idea that the universe is moving forward like humanities existence

Which is not completely true time is flowing backward or in other words the universe is on rewind while everything that matters and/or living is fighting to remain existing against the backwards/downwards/inwards flow of energy

Basicly one cannot go backwards in time because they are already doing
that what gravity really is in essesnse a car bike or plane is a time machine since they speed up the rate you travel in time you can never go backward since you already are all you can do is slow yourself down and/or speed yourself up compared to the world around you
Space-time has more to do with gravity then anything else gravity defines time the more mass something has the faster it travels in time

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by Xaphan

There would be no plate...it wasn't there 2 days ago.

I did not consider that.

I now feel like the ultimate philistine.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

the question and meaning i got out of your example was ;;you place the plate on a table... if you got in a time machine and went back 2 days.. and then lived 2 days, would the plate appear where you placed it in the future, when you reach that future point, from the rewound past...
edit on 6-5-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

So CLPrime in short what you are saying is 1. No gravitational wave that may hit earth will cause distortion in Time

A gravity wave is something someone made up, probably for an episode of Star Trek.
The only gravity strong enough to create a significant time dilation is that around a black hole.

and 2. going at a speed less than speed of light no matter of fast will not cause time travel. is this synopsis correct?

Actually, the opposite is true. Going at any speed at all will cause time travel (relative to an observer at rest) due to velocity time dilation. It only becomes noticeable, though, at around 10% of the speed of light. Those kinds of speeds aren't currently possible.

Gravity is not wave it is really a constant the more energy or mass the faster something will exist
like a large star vs the sun
The sun will last long per say but the bigger star lives a faster life
Gravity effects everything of matter
It's constant in this effect sure it can increase the effect with an increase in mass but it has a minimum that is always there
Light being a wave and a particle is both semi constant and constantly fluctuating like all waves do are always changing under the constant of gravity changing with mass the center of every mass point
Like a cassette tape that's rewinding A side while playing B side you are on the B side looking out on and listening to the A side as it rewinds back to track 1

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Alright If we can travel back into time then will there be bot the same Pearson appearing twice at the same place and same time. So If I place a plate on the dinner table and then wait for two days and then go back in time two days and destroy the dinner table and the plate and return but then at the same time the other me who is present in his own time continuum goes ahead and simply buys a new dinner table but not the plate. What happens then? The question that keeps coming back to mind is that if we were to travel back in time then will there be not the same person appearing 2 times at the same place and same time ant their actions that will determine the outcome?

Thanks
edit on 6-5-2012 by lordvader because: none

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

i dont know if i can give you an accurate or truthful answer to any of this i dont know if its possible........ what i think though is if a person is sent back in time, the material this person is composed of would no longer exist in that future state,, that future state wouldnt exist to that person, because that person would no longer be there, they would be back in time.... only existing back in time,, what we are speaking of is the concept of the grandfather paradox........

if you went back in time and kill your grandfather, how would you ever have been born to go back in time? would you immediately die after killing him?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by IblisLucifer

That's essentially right.
Though, there are some people (including me) who believe that gravity is a particle-transmitted wave as well...but that's for another conversation, and, for now, I'm quite content to go along with the whole gravity well thing.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

hit the nail on the head regarding the nuances of relativity and time. i think something would grow. u cannot disclude relativity when referring to speed or time as together it would be harder to exist in higher quotients naturally; regarding perpetuation. yet, loco motion, viewing math from a same imaginary location arrived from a concept of math outside of the construct of arrival: yes if you moved faster than me to a location and i arrived there eventually or in a relative equal sense, then that is the definition of time and time travel by means of speed.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

I believe you have quoted the wrong post sir, as your reply has nothing to do with poo morphing back into food.

Or does it?

I will admit to the fact that I know very little about the concept of time travel. I don't belong in this thread.

edit on 7-5-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join