It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

we all should stop doing occupy and start doing this....??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
why are we still doing the occupy thing when people are getting hurt and arrested for thier right to voice thier oppinions??. I think that for

#1... we should stop buying gas .... ALL OF AMERICA... sounds crazy I know, how will we get to work and such... well this will.. be diffecult of course but if you are willing to be arrested and be fined and end up having to pay for the courts to put you throgh the ringer then ,You should be able to do this if you are truely for a new better goverment or one that does for the people..PEACEFULLY

#2... all work stoppage.. I mean ALL work, from the office buildings to the mechanic shop ,to the burger flippers,..one day everyone does not go to work I MEAN EVERYONE...whole state, whole city ,I mean some thing like this then they would have to do something what are they gunna come and make u go in..... Yes your jobs will be n jepordy, but your freedoms and your family's and your neighbors freedoms are more inportant than going into work ,bustting your #$% for a company that may or maynot be powerful,hey u work for them so they would,t make money if u are not there... PEACEFULLY

#3... Be with family and friends ,,,by this time you are asking "How will we live with no money or gas".....
Well thats just it we all must be prepared for this we must unite and when we all say on three we all do it, Not 1,2,3, half the people do it when they all said they would.... be strong for one another.. don't think of youselves as an independent person We, as in EVERYONE WHO AGRREES just do it....

So let me break it down.... if think about it THIS is the only peacefull way they cannot make us buy stuff they cannot make us go into work... we have to stand for or rights and freedoms .....the ones who do this will have the back of the other ones who follow for WE are 1 NATION for thePEOPLE by the people, of the people..... the one's that disslike this idea will be the people that are getting rich off of our hard labor,and our gas money,,, ,

I honestly don't beleive that the majority of the U.S. population are happy with the way the goverment is running things ,blatintly taking our rights away,

I would really like to rant on but I think that these 3 thing should give You all enough to think on ...It's only commen sense.. boycot boycot boycot evrything ,then when they try to force us that is when the SWHTF.
THAT WOULD BE OUR CALL TO ARMS ,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO??????

please don't rush judgement on this give it sometime to go through your thoughts,makes perfect sense,peacefull,and not to mention very Powerfull... we are all numb, and need a pinch ,pinch this in your mind.

thanks hope I don'tget deleted just have been thinking of this since the day they pumped up the gas prices.....oooo yea that was on 9/11 and has never went back down, I mean really...wtf

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Um, no. These things are not realistic. Most people are living paycheck-to-paycheck as it is every week. BUSTING their rears just to keep a roof over their head and food on the table.

No work and no buying gas in today's modern age = starvation and homelessness...

Attempting such suggestions would work only in times of old or in fantasy land.

We commoner slaves are screwed. All that can be done is what Occupy is doing. They are EFFECTIVELY being a thorn in the side of the DEVILS of this country who are RUINING our lives and dreams, our children's lives and dreams, and our grandchildren's lives and dreams...

edit on 5-5-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012nwaiting

Has been my point for sometime. They can't make you leave your home and go buy something. It would probably take a few days to get the point. Hang a sign Do Not Disturb. If they decide to drag people out of their homes for being home. They have played their hand.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
ok then we will never get what we really want witch is a goverment thats for its OWN PEOPLE....this is the only peacefull option simple basics keep them out like they do us... you said people are living pay check to pay check.... well UNITE TOGETHER grow crops. feed the needy, walk to places.. what you think that if a real war started on our land that we ould be able to go do everyday things,,,this is for the country not the politicians that are not doing a damn thing about thier own people,,their own infastructure... like I said you must make alot of money ... I don't and I am willing to do this why go and act dissobedient right in thier faces where they can INSTAGATE a angry outcome then say they had to defend themselves...... one day of american's all americans to boycott will be devestating.... keep thinking think about it really you jumped too quick..that was the veryfirst thing anyone of us would say .. how we must go to work why? how we must pay these auwful prices why?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I agree with your idea, but on a much MUCH slower pace. Through the internet "We the People" have SOOO much power at our disposal. With one message reaching every American citizen within a day or two, we could bring the whole system of government and business back to rational levels.

We should start small so we can build our confidence. For example:

It really drives me nuts that the cost of a jar of Helman's mayonaise runs between four and six bucks, when it SHOULD be about a $1.69. It's MAYONAISE for cryin' out loud! If we send a message for everyone to stop buying Helman's mayonaise (on a certain date) until they cut the price in half, and cut it from the company profits and NOT the workers pays, we could either bring the price down or crash that business. Don't worry, the other mayonaise companies will tremble and drop their prices automatically. Helman's sales for 2010?

$401 MILLION

I don't know how much is profit, but I bet a LOT! So the company only profits ten million instead of a hundred million per year. Boo-freakin' hoo!

Then we can think about bringing other prices down.
Hell, we can even force big banks to close by transferring accounts to local banks, or by having everyone make half payments on loans, or no payments at all until they drop their interest rates. What are they going to do, bring EVERYONE to court?

We can flood congress, the White House, and local government with MASSIVE amounts of mail to order them to bring our soldiers back, or to say NO you cannot put us into another war, or lower the taxes... We can say, no you can't allow companies to drill for oil in our waters; you have until a certain date to repeal the Patriot Act or we'll stop paying taxes until this is achieved.

We can do ANYTHING!

We have SOOO much power, but we just don't use it.

Thank god I'm old and I don't care what happens to me anymore, otherwise I would never post something like this!

edit on 5/5/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/5/2012 by jiggerj because: edited price

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Okay, so we stop buying gas and going to work. Let's plan this out:

I can't drive my car, so I have to walk out to the country to find people who will allow me to use part of their land for my own food. Let's say I make it out there in a few days carrying some unperishable food and water, and find someone willing to let me just have their land and also live there, because remember----I can't drive back to my house if I have to grow my own food in the country. So I find these angels who are giving me their land, but I have no horse to draw the plow because I can't use gas to run a tractor and plow, so now I have to find someone to give me a horse or ox. So I find a horse for free by a miracle, now I have to plow my land and wait for the food to grow. But wait, how do I feed my family for the next few months until the food ripens? I'll have to hunt, but not much hunting in the cleared farmlands, so now I have to walk another few days to the woods so I can hunt and forage for my food for the next few months. But wait, how do I work my land when I'm in the woods? And what do I do for irrigation? There's a drought going on----I can't depend on the rain or I'll starve. Now I have to dig irrigation ditches so I don't have to use a gas-powered pump? Jees, this is getting complicated and I'm starving already.

Oh yeah----how do I purify my water? I can't pay someone to dig a well, because they'll use gas or electricity to dig it and I have no money to pay for it and no one's going to work, even the little guys. I guess I drink creek water until I get sick, but when I do, I can't go to the doctor or hospital because no one's going to work! So I get to die of giardia before my first crop comes in.

Great plan.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Many of you were probably born into the time of buying minutes for your phone, so you have no idea how crazy it sounds to someone who remembers the average monthly phone bill being $20.00 a month. In 2006 there were 331.6 million wireless connections just in the United States. Are you telling me these companies wouldn't rake in insane profits by charging everyone a flat fee of $20.00 a month? Let's see, 331 million times 20 bucks is...I can't COUNT that high!

And you people are paying how much? A hundred to two hundred a month for minutes? INSANE!

With my proposal of using the internet to get everyone to boycott companies, the days of buying minutes could be over.

I also know of people paying ungodly amounts for cable TV, when that should only be $20 per month too.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Simply because I had nothing better to do, I looked at some numbers. As you know, Hellmann's is part of Unilever. Unilever's profits for four of the last five years has been in the 8-10% range. Their effective tax rate in 2010 was 26%. Just thought you'd be interested.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by jiggerj

Simply because I had nothing better to do, I looked at some numbers. As you know, Hellmann's is part of Unilever. Unilever's profits for four of the last five years has been in the 8-10% range. Their effective tax rate in 2010 was 26%. Just thought you'd be interested.

Thanks, I didn't do a lot of research because it's just an idea that no one will do. We truly are sheep.
So, how do your numbers translate into company profits?

I'm also aware that the price I pay has probably been jacked up at the store I buy it from. Boycott CVS!!!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

the occupiers should secede from this country and start their own.... base it on the grounds of freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
What about this,(TL;DR version at end)

Start growing your own food!
The more you start depending on yourself, family, friends, and/or community the better. Stop creating a need for the super markets. I know this isn't some magic cure-all that's going to save the world instantly. But, every little bit counts at this point.

There's a small group of family's here in Arkansas that all grow different types of food so they can share and trade with one another. They rarely have to go to the supermarket for food. Yes they all work typical jobs. But, there are plenty different types of food that can be grown in small to large amounts without a huge amount of labor.

Also, here in Fayetteville we've started a community farm where everyone's welcome to come out and learn how to do those sort of things as well as participate in events and workshops we host. Most of the food we grow will be going to food insecure families in our area. But, I believe the knowledge we provide will be more helpful long term than the food itself.

Just start out with something simple like a barrel of potatoes. Just Google growing potatoes in a barrel or something along those lines. This method can produce so much food with minimal input. As long as you take care of them and don't forget to water them. Also, peppers, jalapenos, some tomatoes, and most herbs & spices are relatively easy to grow. Keep in mind you're not going to become completely food sustainable the first year you start growing food. It takes a while to get the hang of it.

One more thing, most plants commonly considered weeds are actually eatable, very nutritious, and most cases medicinal. Most people think that they're above eating things like this. But, I personally believe the removal of these foods and medicines from our diet is what has caused a lot of our health problems many people suffer from today. Seasonal allergies, for example, are something that can be completely eliminated by just changing your diet. Take this from someone who has at one time or another been on about every brand of allergy medicine you can think from since about age 4.

TL;DR Version:
Grow your own food, this will help eliminate some of the dependency on supermarkets and the like. There are communities, towns, and families joining together to share and trade crops to help each other with this task. There are plenty of different foods that can be grown with minimal labor and can be easily taken care of if you have to work a job. But, don't expect to become completely self sustained the first year you start growing food.

Also, most of the plants we call weeds are eatable, very nutritious, and most cases medicinal in some regards. This is one step in the right direction that the people of Occupy should consider. That's what happened here. We all just kinda quit protesting and started a farm.

Best wishes!
Justin

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

We could have a mass boycott of foreign products, specifically all the Walmart stores that pushed businesses out of our country and into China.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Isn't this what OWS tries to do in a way on General Strike days?
Just sayin...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Dear jiggerj,

I have no idea why I'm looking this stuff up, masochism I suppose. But I found a useful article from Financial Times

Unilever does not break out the revenues and earnings of Hellmann’s Mayonnaise and its margarines and spreads, but those products fall under the company’s Savory Dressings and spreads segment. Hellmann’s and Unilever’s margarine and cooking oils generated USD 400m to USD 500m in EBITDA annually, and Hellmann’s accounts for about 20% of the figure, said the first industry banker. Unilever also owns Bertolli olive oil and the Country Crock, Becel, Flora, and Rama margarine and spreads.
Financial Times-Hellmann's
So, the best guess is that Hellmann's generates about $80-100 million dollars annually before they pay interest, taxes, amortization, and depreciation. That's for the largest selling condiment in the US. Also, I'm not clear if this is world-wide or the America's market. The article indicates that Unilever may very well be interested in selling Hellmann's.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by jiggerj

Dear jiggerj,

I have no idea why I'm looking this stuff up, masochism I suppose.

LOL Thanks for the info. You must be truly bored. I am too, but I'm also tired.

If you're bored and want to do something productive, start up a website to inspire people to protest against government and big business the way I've suggested. Are ya chicken? Well, I am! lol

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

ok this is easy.........^^^^^^^^ you have to plan ahead yes I know this will take some time but the final impact will be favorable for us.....the united......,, so you don't plan for a trip that will kill you after all you are trying to survive.. or yoou have CLOSE LOVED ONES ..ie. freinds family trusted fellow people.... plan ahead and you don't need a horse to plow or cut a field THAT would be a luggsurie...or at least if you could get ,lets say a wild hourse or cow, you simply HELP the other citizen's in and around yopur area
if your only option is to go lets say from ill. to cali. you should have went ahead of the storm.... I said make a plan first..... i ould let any person that is not going to harm my family and anyone with me to certanly come into our group.... and would expect them to contribute any help that would better the chances of them......wether you can do labor or just have a comensense. rational idea to HELP EVERYONE .....

you saying what you did kinda is like being a spoiled brat....."well i can't because I would be unhappy"......you would be unhappy for people you hold in your heartfelt life that every human has..... get pass the greed......

IT WILL BE HARD. this is something that WOULD happen in the case of any nuke war on the u s any major power outage... we all lived when there were no phone ,no tv, no motors... what did they do?????survived and made you , and me and my family...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012nwaiting
reply to post by 00nunya00

you saying what you did kinda is like being a spoiled brat....."well i can't because I would be unhappy"

No. Your entire premise of this thread is one of a spoiled brat----someone who has obviously never worked for anything they have, otherwise you would not be so willing to have everyone walk away from everything they've ever worked for just because YOU don't like the way the world is right now. Being a spoiled brat would mean taking my two kids and not working anymore because I don't like the system I live in. You know what? There's kids in Africa BEGGING to get a chance to get in to our system. They would love for you to take their place; go live in a country where you have no choice but to grow your own food, and there is NO work to be had, let alone a job to stay home from. They will happily take your citizenship and work, while also making this country a better place.

You've been reading the Hunger Games a little too much. Ask your homeroom teacher on Monday how well your plan would work out in the real world.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
no .. no.. noo... you my friend are totaly wrong for 1 i am 37 yeaers old for another I've made every dime with sweat on my brow thank you for proving my point of being spoiled on the system we have now... you are a complacent citizen,, and one who is not ready for change but ready to let the 1% to rule your life and your loved ones,, while the rest of us are not ready to let them better them selves and crap on you and your family.... ....,

does nothing grow in africa those people are trying to live our lives but yet they go and live in a non growing area..or they let the boss gather up their family and go and fight for that one person's betterment..... what's the difference if we let our existing govment play with our lives and the lives of everyone in the U.S.... nothing THEY say buy this gas because you HAVE to go to work and make me money,,, hello......?? what did this country start for???? because the people did not want to fattin the royal families anymore while the peoples family are killing themselves FOR the royalty,,,ooo and the compliant people that really are selfish like the 1% and royalty.....

IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE.(period)

does everyone think tnis crap will just go away??? withoout doing nothing about it,,,,,,
If a pipe leacks, you fix it,,
edit on 6-5-2012 by 2012nwaiting because: just wish that u all would think about it ,, this IS worth a thought ,and the only option, cause the goverment ain't fixing anything

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I believe that Occupy must grow larger, stronger and wiser. But I but I also like some suggestions that you make here. Before this can happen though, people must be made aware of what's happening around them (presuming they'll even care.)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2012nwaiting
no .. no.. noo... you my friend are totaly wrong for 1 i am 37 yeaers old for another I've made every dime with sweat on my brow thank you for proving my point of being spoiled on the system we have now... you are a complacent citizen,, and one who is not ready for change but ready to let the 1% to rule your life and your loved ones,, while the rest of us are not ready to let them better them selves and crap on you and your family.... ....,

If you're that damn old, then think about how you're coming off.

I'm 31. I've learned by now this system is not coming down because people on message boards urge others to stop going to work. You post your little plan about how Occupy should stop doing *productive* things like trying to help people in foreclosure, trying to bring attention to the problems with the banking system (like actual FACTS and not "they suck, wah, stop buying their gas"), trying to use their Constitutional rights to change the system, forming committees of former financial sector workers to review pending financial legislation, so on and so forth, and instead they should spend (by your revised suggestion) a few years planning how they can stop working and start communes.

FOR REAL, dude? Go back to the drawing board.

I feel your sentiment, but man, you're trying to start a half-as*ed revolution on your keyboard. You really want that to work? Then step away from your computer, go out into your community and teach your neighbors how to do it and actually live your words. Don't criticize me and everyone else that's just trying to get by, trying to keep up with what's really going on, trying to do our part by finding the facts and disseminating them. You've drawn an awfully deep line in the sand: everyone who agrees with your plan is "cool" and everyone who disagrees is "one who is not ready for change"
. I've been ready for change since before you even woke up, I've been saying "come the revolution..." since I was 14 years old. I'm beyond ready for change. Your plan is not change, and it's not original; it's the same one Ted Kaczynski had. Write us from your shack in the woods and let us know how it's going with the "affecting change."

top topics

join