It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

super moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
ok we,ve been told theres going to be a super moon tonite........i,ve heard the theroys that super moons cause earthquakes etc......is that such a crazy thot? mean we know it causes unpredictable tides etc......so we know the moons gravitational pull is stronger........not think it may put greater stress on the fault lines? not a scientist but it seems a good theroy to me.sure i,m going to look stupid for saying this and some1s going to tell me why this aint possible but until some1 convinces me then i,m going to think this could be a reason

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
1. The moon is no closer to the Earth than it normally would be.
2. The "super moon" is just an illusion that will make the moon look bigger and brighter than normal.

There was much hype surrounding last years super moon, but in the end everything was normal.
No large earthquakes, no tsunamis, etc.

The super moon is nothing to worry about.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Anything is possible when the moon changes its position. Keeping an eye on many sites to check on activity.

abclocal.go.com...

www.ustream.tv...

www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

And as the moon being at the same location .....not so

The Moon's distance varies each month between approximately 357,000 kilometers (222,000 mi) and 406,000 km (252,000 mi) due to its elliptical orbit around the Earth (distances given are center-to-center).[2][3][4]

en.wikipedia.org...

Do some research
edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
the last super moon was last march which was same time as japan earthquake so there is previous

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
As for it causing a disaster its a 50/50 chance so really no one knows for sure but i would still be prepared for anything.

Speculative link to natural disasters

Richard Nolle has argued that within ±3 days of a supermoon, the Earth is more subject to natural disasters such as earthquakes and volcanic activity due to the Moon's increased gravitational force.[5] Speculations have moved the goalposts to within 1 or 2 weeks of a supermoon to suggest a causal relationship with specific natural disasters such as the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami and the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.[10][11] Such a widening of the effect window is unjustified as in both cases the Moon was farther from the Earth than average, making a supermoon effect impossible.[3]

Some studies have reported a weak correlation between lunar activity and shallow, very low intensity earthquakes. However, no evidence has been found of any correlation with major earthquakes.[12][13][14] Unjustified claims that the lunar tides trigger earthquakes are rooted in a lack of appreciation that the stress in the Earth is described by a tensor with six independent parameters and that earthquakes occur as slip on existing, weak fault planes. Any change in stress, by lunar tides, by impounding a reservoir, or by a large nearby earthquake, changes the local stress tensor in specific directions. If one wishes to estimate whether a given change advances or hinders slip on a fault, one has to know the orientation of the fault. It is equally likely that the change of the stress due to the moon clamps the fault shut, rather than advancing slip on it. This is why Ohtake[15] has carefully considered the orientation of the fault planes in earthquakes that he showed were correlated with lunar tides.

The 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami is the only earthquake of 8.0 magnitude or greater to have occurred within 2 weeks of the 14 extreme supermoons from 1900 to the present date,[16][17][18] suggesting that the claim of a supermoon effect on the incidence of large-scale earthquakes is unjustified.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31
the last super moon was last march which was same time as japan earthquake so there is previous

Yes and thats why i say stay alert for anything . Even tho its has not been proven to cause a disaster it still can.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnholyBones
1. The moon is no closer to the Earth than it normally would be.
2. The "super moon" is just an illusion that will make the moon look bigger and brighter than normal.

There was much hype surrounding last years super moon, but in the end everything was normal.
No large earthquakes, no tsunamis, etc.

The super moon is nothing to worry about.

Actually it is closer than it "normally" is. But nothing unusual about it and happens all the time.
But either way it is not a illusion. I think you are confusing the supermoon with the moon with the illusion where moon appears bigger when it is close to horizon.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
i have to say ,it looks great tonight,and yes it is at the nearest to earth.unfortunately its very far south from were i am but managed to see from upstairs balcony.enjoy!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The moon orbits elliptically. At it closest point, tonight, it will 31,000 miles closer than at it's apogee. A super moon is actually closer, and isn't so much an optical illusion. This is intensified by the fact that it will be completely full , while being at it's closest point.

The effect on tides is minimal, only raising average by one inch maximum. I don't think the added gravity will contribute to any earthquakes.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
ok only minimal but how do we know that minimal extra stress won,t take affect....we don,t......its like stretching an elastic band....just 1 little extra touch it snaps.....never thot it wud but it happens

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

trying to add u as a friend mucker but still clueless!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I let the Moon shine right in front of me when sleeping and no, no Earthquakes happen because of that

new topics

top topics

join