It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan without nuclear power for first time in 42 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

TOKYO – Thousands of Japanese marched to celebrate the switching off of the last of their nation's 50 nuclear reactors Saturday, waving banners shaped as giant fish that have become a potent anti-nuclear symbol. Japan was without electricity from nuclear power for the first time in four decades when the reactor at Tomari nuclear plant on the northern island of Hokkaido went offline for mandatory routine maintenance.

"Today is a historic day," Masashi Ishikawa shouted to a crowd gathered at a Tokyo park, some holding traditional "koinobori" carp-shaped banners for Children's Day that have become a symbol of the anti-nuclear movement. "There are so many nuclear plants, but not a single one will be up and running today, and that's because of our efforts," Ishikawa said.

Japan without nuclear power for first time in 42 years

(Mods,If not in the right place,please move...thanks)
edit on 5-5-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Its about time actually. I for one would love to see EVERY country,think twice about Nuclear Power,and where they place these time bombs.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
what is America waiting for?

we have multiple leaking nuke reactors... no reduction, and and NO evac/quarantine perimeter, which at least Japan has.

but MSM manages to keep it hush...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Agree.

Its not like OTHER country's are not thinking about it,or actually doing it. Placing these reactors on fault lines? Really?

Heres Germany..............

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said a decision to phase out nuclear power by 2022 can make her country a trailblazer in renewable energy. Ms Merkel said Germany would reap economic benefits from the move. Germany is the biggest industrial power to renounce nuclear energy, in a policy reversal for the governing centre-right coalition.

Nuclear phase-out can make Germany trailblazer - Merkel

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Unless we can find a way to dispose of the used fuel rods, and locate these plants on stable ground, good luck with that, we need to do away with this method of producing power. Nuclear power is the worst example of give me what I want now, and I will worry about the consequences later. I understand how happy the Japanese must have been.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Agree also. I have an unbound sadness for those poor Japanese that have to deal with this for,century's to come. The rest of the world,is left in Japans radioactive hue. The byproduct is the biggest danger.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Worldwide, there has been a shift with Germany, Italy and Switzerland moving away from atomic energy, prompting the International Atomic Energy Agency to revise down its forecast for growth in the industry.

The United States, China and India are still planning to increase the number of reactors.

Post-nuclear shutdown: Will Japan manage its energy needs?

Sacrifice is something I believe Japan can make,as a nation. It beats a human tragedy.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Great thread.

All that I have to say is: It's about time!

Sometimes it takes a disaster for people as a whole to wake-up and band together.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
what is America waiting for?

we have multiple leaking nuke reactors... no reduction, and and NO evac/quarantine perimeter, which at least Japan has.

but MSM manages to keep it hush...

We never will. It's only a matter of time until there is an accident. Heck, we almost lost Detroit. (although i'm not sure that would have been much of a loss)
www.amazon.com...

We are actually building more reactors and it will not end. It's a big business and the U.S. government subsides it. Bother parties are behind nuclear power. The U.S. is actually behind in this technology (we are pretty much behind in everything except warfare these days). Fusion is the next breakthrough and all the major labs are in Europe. Japan's "no nuclear" stance is temporary at best.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
A great number of people would change their tune once the summer heat kicks in and there is no air conditioning. Only very casual people can overlook what taking a piece of the energy economy out looks like. Having said that, that being said, that said (heh heh, popular phrases) bring on the simpler way of life and screened in porches again.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Isn't radioactivity basically a form of electricity in the first place.
What were these people thinking making reactors for power plants.
Lets hope science heads make the plants instead of money heads.
Yeah but we went through all that with Tesla and tossed out all his work
as invalid. Too bad. Wait to 2022 for Germany. Tesla would have sold
them all the free energy he could find, now what.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

wow some good news on ATS. I doubt other countries will follow suit.. Shame though.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne

No, it's an entirely different interaction.
en.wikipedia.org...

Radioactive decay is the weak interaction.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by sonnny1

wow some good news on ATS. I doubt other countries will follow suit.. Shame though.

I dont know about that. What I find Ironic and sad is it takes a disaster,two of them,to actually have country's consider it.Even at Chernobyl,Russia still kept their nuclear power plants open. All in all,good news,I agree.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
There were 54 nuclear reactors in Japan contrasted with the 104 commercial reactors in the United States. However, the demand for nuclear power in the U.S. is dwindling, and as the demand diminishes, so will the supply.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
My concern is they still have the elevated fuel pools and now its even more dangerous than before they shut them down because the elevated fuel pools have power-critical pumps with 1 less power source (nuc, grid, local-gen).

So the triplex system just got reduced to a dual system. The only solution that makes sense to me is to upgrade the reactors to Thorium and "reprocess" the fuel that's in the fuel pools till its gone. THEN it could be shut down or much more safely operated.

I'm basically saying that ONLY a TECHNOLOGY solution can bring safety, and being scared to operate the plants only increases the dangers.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I thought I understood from what I had heard on the radio, yesterday, that the few remaining working plants had been closed down for maintenance and would thus be up and running again shortly.
Am I wrong in this thinking?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne

No, it's an entirely different interaction.
en.wikipedia.org...

Radioactive decay is the weak interaction.

Radioactivity results in electrical plus and minus charges to charge batteries or
send down power lines.

Radioactivity is a direct result of Tesla's 50 times the speed of light particles
energizing the nucleus. Evidently enough energy to blast the nucleus loose
and create the weak electricity.

Induced radioactivity on lighter elements is possible with UV rays and is now
a Moray type 50Kw generator.

Radioactivity results in electricity, weak or not, thats what I implied.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dowot
I thought I understood from what I had heard on the radio, yesterday, that the few remaining working plants had been closed down for maintenance and would thus be up and running again shortly.
Am I wrong in this thinking?

Right, down for maintenance but news also gave indication that they would not open.
I think a few US plants are still under maintenance and have not opened for business.
Free energy developments have no plants so only nukes have the go ahead if given the
OK when the radiation fears die down.

Free energy for sea waves and earth vibrations might be possible but Japan can't get the
plans. Would Japan reject free energy from the sea because of Tidal wave disasters.
Would Japan reject free energy from Earth vibrations because of suffering from earthquakes.
Well looks like they can forget free energy and go back to nuke without the plans for the
so called free energy of Tesla.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Oh so you have your own model of physics. Ok, you should have said something earlier, I wouldn't have even responded.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join