It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kowloon Walled City - Unbearable living conditions, rare look

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This is amazing, we all knew some Chinese areas are hard to live in but this is something straight out of a science fiction movie. The population density is astounding, the living conditions are decrepit, the infrastructure is crumbling. I do not know how much clean water gets through but this is just mind bending how some of these people live. Click link for more images.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Hong Kong, not China.
China demolished the city when they took back Hong Kong after the Brits lease was up.
edit on 5-5-2012 by g146541 because: to add

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I'm just going by memory here, but Kowloon (9 Dragons) was a great place to visit. Spent a year in Hong Kong when I was a wee lad and Britan still controlled Hong Kong.

My how it has changed.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Thankfully this place was demolished. This was not healthy, by any means. 50,000 people within a few blocks?!?!
edit on 5-5-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Wow, leave one open flame unattended and its bye bye for the whole city. i couldn't imagine living in those conditions.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
Wow, leave one open flame unattended and its bye bye for the whole city. i couldn't imagine living in those conditions.

Yet it is a clean city. First time I had dog (by accident) was from a street vendor there.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Kind of crazy ehh?
And some rich guys who live on thousands acres estates say the world is overpopulated...
Not a very good idea to live so cramped but it is doable apparently.
Sure did make for a good community though, it is said the place had low crime, we can't say the same in the.....well anywhere.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I wasn't implying that its a city with trash every where (though that is how it looks in the pictures), I meant that because all the buildings are so close that if there was one little fire it could turn into something so much bigger.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
reply to post by beezzer

I wasn't implying that its a city with trash every where (though that is how it looks in the pictures), I meant that because all the buildings are so close that if there was one little fire it could turn into something so much bigger.
S'all right.

When I watch Blade Runner (best movie EVER) It reminds me of Hong Kong/Kowloon.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
China has a lot of issues that will cause them to implode soon once their artificial growth rate hits a critical point. The government keeps building but no one can afford anything... Checkout ghost cities and malls to get an idea of how crazy it is over in that country.

edit on 5-5-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

that first pic, the compression

it reminded me of the city of Chu from Frank Herbert's The_Dosadi_Experiment

The novel is set in a distant future when humans are part of an interstellar civilization called the ConSentiency composed of many species. One, the Taprisiots, provide instant mind-to-mind communication between two sentient minds anywhere in the universe, and the Caleban provide jump-doors which allow instantaneous travel between any two points in the universe. This is the glue that holds the far-flung ConSentiency together. Unfortunately, one consequence of jump-door technology is the possibility that large numbers of unsuspecting sentients can be diverted to destinations unknown for nefarious purposes. A government saboteur attempts to expose one such plot.

Jorj X. McKie is a Saboteur Extraordinary, one of the principals of the Bureau of Sabotage, and the only human admitted to practice law before the Gowachin bar as a legum (lawyer). While meditating in a park in BuSab headquarters McKie is mentally contacted by the Caleban Fannie Mae, a female member of a species of unparalleled power from another dimension whose visible manifestation in this universe is the star Thyone in the Pleiades cluster

Generations ago, a secret, unauthorized experiment by the Gowachins was carried out with the help of a contract with the Calebans. They isolated the planet Dosadi behind an impenetrable barrier called "The God Wall". On the planet were placed humans and Gowachin, with an odd mix of modern and old technology. The planet itself is massively poisonous except for a narrow valley, containing the city "Chu", into which nearly 89 million humans and Gowachin are crowded under terrible conditions. It is ruled by a dictator, many other forms of government having been tried previously, but without the ability to remove such things as the DemoPol, a computer system used to manipulate populaces without their consent or knowledge. The culture of ordinary day to day power in Dosadi is very violent. Among other tools, addictive psychotropes are used for handling power among hierarchies in organisations.

Senior Liator Keila Jedrik starts a war that will change Dosadi forever. Jorj travels to Dosadi and escapes with Keila after engaging in ego sharing. This gives them the ability to swap bodies and thus by using a hole in the contract sealing Dosadi they can escape via jump gate. Once free, by legal manoeuvring the Dosadi population is unleashed upon the ConSentiency for good or ill, whilst the people who set the project in motion try to deal with the consequences, having sent McKie there hoping a solution more in their interest could be found.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
My heart goes out to anyone who has to live so close together like that and no greenery anywhere.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
China has a lot of issues that will cause them to implode soon once their artificial growth rate hits a critical point. The government keeps building but no one can afford anything... Checkout ghost cities and malls to get an idea of how crazy it is over in that country.

The Chinese do not like to lower prices do they?

So much for communism. This is pure capitalism and pure unadulterated greed. Except they don't like to lower the prices.

I saw it in Vancouver when the Hong Kong billionaires bought downtown Vancouver after the Brits moved out and China took control of Hong Kong. They bought downtown Vancouver, sold to them by our traitorous immigrant premiere, who was of course charged with accepting bribes from the Chinese mafia, and who got off scot free as usual.

But they bought up the downtown core, built and built and took over almost all the commerce, and then just jacked up the leases and let the space sit empty. They don't care at all how long it sits empty, because to own land, is wealth, and to own it in downtown cores, is historically a way to secure your wealth for future generations. So they buy and they build expecting some day, one of their children, when they are in THEIR 70's will still have that wealth.
So they don't care!

edit on 6-5-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Who would have thought that a duplex outside of Beijing would be selling for $300,000 ???

Now if only they could do something about their pollution.

It didn't take very long for China to get caught up globally once they got the hang of it and with a little help from the International community. The World Bank and etc. The only thing I did not approve of was the World Bank forced them to agree to out law an ancient law of China, the right for a man to have a mistress, which existed for thousands of years. In order to join the banksters club, the men had to agree to give up their culture.

So now as you see high rise apartments going up everywhere they are asking the people themselves to do the same thing again. Whereas previously they lived close together as groups of families supporting each other through life, and living according to Confucian principles etc, now they will be isolated in their apartments and forced to live from pay check to pay check with that ever present carrot, just out of reach, a new appliance or technological gadget or more luxurious car.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I live in Guangzhou (mainland China).
I admit in HK there's some fairly cramped places, usually HK people like to pack in tight.
Here in GZ there are "handshake" buildings, which is buildings that are sooo close together you can put your arm out the window and shake with your neighbor.

Here's a link below of more.
Handshake Buildings

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

good comparison
so, are we the only two peeps that read that book?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

most probably

most of the debating points in religious threads
show that they haven't read the dune chronicles either

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

A Chinese Group Plans To Construct A 200 Acre "China City" In Michigan

endoftheamericandream.com...

look out ma new naybours is a movin in!
edit on 11-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join