It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

106 arrested in violent protest outside Quebec's liberal party HQ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

106 arrested in violent protest outside Quebec's liberal party HQ

www.rawstory.com

The government of the French-speaking province of Quebec and student groups clinched a roadmap agreement Saturday to put an end to 12 weeks of often violent protests over tuition hikes, officials said.

The deal came after some 23 hours of arduous negotiations between Education Minister Line Beauchamp and four major Quebec student groups, and just hours after clashes in Victoriaville that left nine people injured and ended with 106 arrests outside the Quebec Liberal Party’s annual convention.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-5-2012 by robhines because: added spaces to quote

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It carries on to say that details weren't immediately available about the deal that was agreed on, but either way, seems like the students over there have really kicked off big time.

Makes me wonder if students in other countries will push more if they decide to protest again at any point, and what the consequences will be. Haven't seen the video linked in the above article and don't think I want to, because it probably involves some pretty messed up scenes.

Just find it sad that the students had to go to these lengths in the first place.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-5-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Cant say I blame 'em. The government lied to them. But it seems like at least a small faction of these protesters are just using this as an excuse to buggeroff for a whole semester playing protester. I'd like to hear from any ATSers who are students there who can share their perspective.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Cant say I blame 'em. The government lied to them. But it seems like at least a small faction of these protesters are just using this as an excuse to buggeroff for a whole semester playing protester. I'd like to hear from any ATSers who are students there who can share their perspective.

The government and universities lie about everything. As an example the U of T bitches about not having enough money and having to raise tuition but they sit on over 6 billion dollars IN THE BANK. And this is investment capital, it isn't touched for normal operations, but the management do draw down bonuses from it apparently.

Another example, my son completed CGI/Graphics Arts/Programming with honors, they told him he would have a job as soon as he left. Well, it's a year later, he doesn't. The laws have changed in the US requiring 4 years of school or equivalent experience, he has 3, but it used to be 3 the year before he finished his courses. Most of the CGI and gaming companies have moved south to the US or overseas. Of course this is after Harper committed a hug whack of cash incentives to "all those gaming companies" which promptly took the cash and headed out of this colony.

Yeah, they are ef'ing liars. We need a game changer and we need it soon.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/5.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Another example, my son completed CGI/Graphics Arts/Programming with honors, they told him he would have a job as soon as he left. Well, it's a year later, he doesn't. The laws have changed in the US requiring 4 years of school or equivalent experience, he has 3, but it used to be 3 the year before he finished his courses.

I probably dont understand the issue much, but I'm not sure I see how it's the colleges fault that he now needs more education to enter his perspective job field? Especially if that is based on US Regulations.

I mean, yes, its a bummer when you are lead to believe you can get a job after college, but are they guaranteed a job? the notion there will be a job for everybody after school seems a bit naive to me. I went to school, but i didnt expect a job after i graduated. Thats on me.

Again, no offense intended.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

The universities and colleges like any business (and they are a business) have salesmen. These salesmen, generally in the form of "teachers" make all kinds of grandiose promises about how well their "product or service" will perform once you start using it. This is not an uncommon situation. Right now there are probably at least a half a million kids in Canada suffering the same fate.

Our government has screwed up this colony so badly it's criminal. Just recently, it was finally publicly exposed that the Canadian government bailed out our banks to the tune of $70 billion to $115 billion back in 2008. They did this AFTER they told the public that they didn't need to do it, our banks were solid.

They are ALL liars.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/5.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

The universities and colleges like any business (and they are a business) have salesmen. These salesmen, generally in the form of "teachers" make all kinds of grandiose promises about how well their "product or service" will perform once you start using it. This is not an uncommon situation. Right now there are probably at least a half a million kids in Canada suffering the same fate.

Well, if there was some sort of written guarantee to get employment after graduation, I would think there was reason for blame. But, honestly, I can't believe any student would ever believe they would be guaranteed to get a job after school unless it was some sort of tech institute that had an agreement with employers.

My understanding with the students in Quebec is their frustration is with the gov and school breaking a promise about tuition hikes. Thats a lot different than being mad about a crappy job market, which schools have little to no control over.

And yeah,I'm aware of the bailout thing. I made a few threads about it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

It's just like buying anything, you try and do your research to make the right decision and then you find out you were lied to anyway. We all know they don't give guarantees in writing for university or college. If they did, they wouldn't be able to lie, unless of course the law is changed again allowing false promises and lies in writing.

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

join