It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Johnson Wins 2012 Libertarian Presidential Nomination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
When it comes to the third party tickets, which I'm sure not many people have faith in, the Libertarian Party chose its nominee today in Gary Johnson. He was actually on the Republican ticket up until 5 months ago, and even got the chance to participate in 1 or 2 debates, all with probably less than a minute of time to speak. The rest of the debates he was denied access from.

Anyway, they are having their Convention in Las Vegas today and he was chosen as their nominee with Jim Gray the running favorite for vice president pick in the hours to come. They seem to be taking the race pretty serious with their slogan being "Liberty Will Win".

As much as I would love to see a third party gain momentum, I never really have much faith in it. With that said, however, this excludes Ron Paul from running as the Libertarian candidate should he choose to run third party if he would fail to gain the Republican nomination this Summer. It should be noted that the Constitution Party also selected their nominee for President back in April - Virgil Goode.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

They had to nominate someone. Which is pointless except to hem Ron Paul in and give him not where to hop to. I guess Johnson could always step aside if need be.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Whatever the party Ron Paul claims in the end, will be the party I vote on! Close any doors you choose, we will open a new one!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
When Ron Paul fails to get the Republican nomination I really hope he endorses Gary Johnson rather than Romney. I suppose that will be the moment we all find out where he wants his movement to continue with him out of the scene. Romney and the party have to offer him something, but will it be enough?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

Johnson will not be stepping aside. There was a call to suspend the rules and put Ron Paul up for nomination. It didn't come anywhere close to the 2/3 needed. Though most respect Dr. Paul within the LP there is a slight sense of betrayal among those who have been LPers for a while. Ron Paul didn't even make it into the "Hall of Liberty".(Kind of the LP's Hall of Fame)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Ron Paul has known all along with the Libertarian, Constitution, and American's Elect Party were going to have their nominating conventions and he has chosen to remain in the Republican race. If he doesn't get the nomination it will be on him when he's not on the ballot in November,

As for Gary Johnson, he's not a perfect libertarian but he's certainly not Bob Barr and with more accomplished. Nothing else I think Johnson had a chance to carry his home state of New Mexico.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Gary Johnson has said although he is running, he still wants his supporters to vote for Ron Paul...unless he's since changed his stance.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

I believe that was just during the Republican primary season. As Johnson has now secured the LP nomination and it seems the Republican Party is going to go out of its way to ensure Mitt Romney gets the nomination I think Johnson will be courting Paul voters and Paul's endorsement.

new topics

top topics

join