It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Boulder gets restraining order against one of its own citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The city of Boulder Co., filed for a restraining order against a man who is known for his protest at city council meetings. The man has a right to protest, but the city is trying to make it seem like its for safety reasons. What is that line, that the city can just decide to silence you for "safety"?

The city worked with an expert on workplace violence who felt the intensity and frequency of Brigham’s emails represented a possible threat, said city spokeswoman Sarah Huntley.

Brigham has a reputation for unrestrained rhetoric and political gestures. He once stripped to his boxers and refused to leave the podium during an open comment period after making critical comments about several council members. He was removed and arrested.

The city paid him $10,000 to avoid a civil rights lawsuit. It seems to me, he is calling them out on issues of corruption(probably). They bought his silence once before, I think its possible they just have things to hide, and cannot afford to have this man revealing them perhaps?

www.thedenverchannel.com...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
How much do you want to bet he does not commit suicide? That seems to be the way this type of thing ends.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Somehow, I'm going to have agree with you on that one. I don't see him picking up and leaving the state anytime soon.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Just take a look at this from the city of boulder, that vows over and over again to protect the civil rights and liberties of its citizens. This is the same city that was trying to fight the Patriot Act, and they are taking away this mans rights.
www.bordc.org...
Look at the last line of this:

Section 2. That the City of Boulder affirms the following principles: (1) every person has the right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure, (2) neither stops nor arrests may be made without establishing reasonable suspicion or probable cause that a crime has been committed or is about to be committed, (3) every person has a right to equal protection under the law and the right not to be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law, and (4) every person has the right to free speech and freedom of association as provided for under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution and court opinions thereon.

What a joke

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
How much do you want to bet he does not commit suicide? That seems to be the way this type of thing ends.

I have told my close friends many times, If I ever die and they say it was suicide something is very wrong....I LOVE myself way to much to do that!!!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Now that is scary! It would appear in reading the story that a person can be barred from their right to "petition their Government" or complain just by being a pain in the butt. If we don't even have to make an actual threat or pose an immediate danger to be forbidden from the halls of the government we pay for, what's next?? This isn't a "NO Weapons" law or something else which is clear and fair. This is based on their opinions of a possible problem they admit by their own wording, doesn't exist yet.

Talk about a city run by a bunch of total WIMPS! Unfortunately, they are wimps with power and people's rights aren't their priority. I hope Boulder has a little regime change of their own. They sound like they have a few tyrants right there, at home. An election or two should settle that nicely....if they don't get a restraining order against the voters or something.

edit on 5-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree! This happened in Quartzite AZ as well a year ago. They arrested that woman though, and beat her up if I remember right
We ALL want to do something about these corrupt governments, but there is NOTHING we can do even if we tried. They sweet talk us when they are running, and many times they are sincere, but when they are elected, they are forced to go with the status quo, they buy right in, because they love their job, we will never win unfortunately

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
what the people in boulders council don't realize is that guy could actually win a seat there and then he could protest all damn day long if he wanted...

they aren't the be all end all of the government, they are temporary public service workers who shouldn't have these types of control mechanisms to retrain THEIR personal power.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
They may have just opened a can of worms. It'll be interesting to see if how many
(if any) other protestors will now show up to take his place.

top topics

join