It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing fears that huge North Korean volcano will soon erupt

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

you just had to make a new thread on her did nt ya? brat..

me?

Trouble is with older threads they don't get the news out. They are fine for discussion however.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Oh PM. How much more can our poor planet take?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
So you are saying that North Korea could blow it's stack and endanger the countries around it. That's nothing new, just a little different twist to it

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Well that depends on where they are in the construction cycle (see additional info edited in to my post) and how far away any potential eruption is.

If, for example, construction has not yet begun then there certainly is not much potential for damage.

Here is the location of the mountain with regional context:

And here is the location of the town in relation to the mountain:

So it would have to be one hell of an eruption to have major effects that far away. However, a VEI 7 size eruption is catastrophic in and of itself so I suppose it would depend on a number of factors.

You'd be more qualified to comment on that aspect, I expect.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Good Threat PM. My biggest problem with this volcanoe is the fact that it sits in between the 2 most secretive countries on the planet. I am surprised that we even have what little info we do have. What do you think the chances are of getting tremor instrument information water temperature information and all that good stuff including a few web cams -- see there I go, getting excited for something that will never happen....fools

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I guess it may depend which way the ejecta goes. The prevailing winds would take it over Korea and Japan.

I can't imagine that large quantities of volcanic dust would improve a nuke much, but I don't know for sure.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

My biggest problem with this volcanoe is the fact that it sits in between the 2 most secretive countries on the planet.

Yup the border goes right through the middle of the caldera lake running SW and then does a very sharp turn South.

The Russians managed to get the temperatures by satellite and there are 2 seismo stations within 500 km. I would not mind betting there is a web cam but I can't find one.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Hey Puterman,
how many volcanoes is it now?
How many sleepers have awakened in the last 2 years?

I have read somewhere last week, and mentioned it on ATS somewhere, that 58 volcanoes have 'come to life' since January and are spewing some sort of ash/gas/ detrious into the atmosphere.

I'll see if I can find where I read it, I know it was a reliable source.

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 5-5-2012 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Seeing as there were 56 volcanoes active in 2011 of which 20 commenced erupting in 2011 a figure of 58 for 2012 would be an astronomical increase.

Please do come back with that information if you can find it.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I will, but it will have to be tomorrow afternoon, sorry. Midnight here and I have to be up at 5am!

Rainbows
Jane

PS...here you go...google is my friend!
55 to date!

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Rainbows
Jane.....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
edit on 5-5-2012 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Ha Ha, suspected as much. There are always around that number 'on the boil' at any given time.

I will see which of those are new ones, but in the meantime I have emailed GVP for an answer. (No not GLP, GVP - Global Volcanism Program - The Smithsonian)

I can only see one new one

Zavodovski Island - eruption plume detected on satellite on 27 April 2012

All the rest are continuing from earlier.

BTW there are only 29 red flags (erupting) on that page. Seems activity is quite low.

edit on 5/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Oh can it really be this easy? Can we just watch Nature cast her vote on North Korean leadership and simply be done with the problem?

Originally posted by Sinny
Well if it does erupt and destroy the country, it'll save America a job lol.

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
haarp it !!!

Wow, are you seriously this narrow minded? Did it ever cross your mind how much suffering an eruption like that would cause to the general public of North Korea, as if they didn't already have to struggle in their everyday life? That's right, they don't actually live in a dicatorship of their free will. I think none of us approve the N-Korean government but saying things like "haarp it" just lowers you to the same level. Imagine telling a korean child why you want to kill him simply because you don't like his government.

It's the same really if I would hope a major natural disaster to happen on US soil simply if I didn't like the US government and the way it operates. Just think for a second what you guys are posting here.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
well this is an interesting turn of events...maybe it'll help their rocket go farther

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
damn thats a BIG ONE.....

Natural disasters are better for everyone, rather than a missile duke out etc: its humanity's fault.

Who would help N. Korea if this volcano went postal?

Interesting....

edit on 5-5-2012 by Biigs because: bah typos

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Not to get off topic, but what does Puterman and Alishas "I read the thread" graphic mean?

I don't get it.....

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Not to get off topic, but what does Puterman and Alishas "I read the thread" graphic mean?

I don't get it.....

Have a look at the thread. See if you want to read it. It's big enough to test your fun meter!

P

edit on 5-5-2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Those avatars refer to the What's going on at yellowstone? thread.

Fukushima is seen as merely a speed bump in the headlong rush to nuclear energy:

China’s nuclear programme did slow down a bit following Fukushima and a round of safety inspections, but since then the nuclear authorities in Beijing have announced that China’s nuclear reactor roll out is back on track again.

China’s localised AP1000 reactor a step closer

The above linked article also shows how China is taking what it's learns from Westinghouse and developing its own derive technology.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Thanks puterman ,and to JC also for bringing this all to our attention.

You know,I get a chuckle,and I don't mean to mean about it,about all this stuff harming mother earth.
She is fine,it's just it's harming us humans.
We create the mess,we deal with it.
Whether or not we survive it all remains to be seen.
Kind of like don't sh!t in the bed you sleep in,ya know.
But that is what we do best,it seems.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron
I wonder if they sense that their demise is coming that they'll just say "The hell with it" and nuke S. Korea or something.

Good point .. kinda thought that when Kim found out he had cancer

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yup, Mother Nature can get along just fine without us. She is brewing up all sorts of scary stuff. Things like the rise in the Toba caldera floor since the last explosive eruption of 450 metres. That is not small. There are other volcanoes with rises much bigger than 100 cm in 10 years so the geologist who wrote the warning may be a little premature. It could actually be decades before this one goes off, but go off it will and decades gives them a chance to get those nuclear power stations up and running before it happens.

When we are all gone the Earth will simply get on with things as ir always has and will in the future. I never cease to marvel how on a very small scale an area I have dug in the garden can become so carpeted with weeds in less than a month if I don't touch it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join