It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats in your library ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Ah, books! Necessary for life.

Bibles, several in the house, mostly KJV, some assorted history (husband is a real history buff), some various educational books (we home school), a few political books, though not many, some cryptozoology books, a LOT of fiction. Everything from thrillers (LOVE Koontz) to sci-fi to fantasy to mysteries to romance (a few) to drama to horror to young adult to, well, most genres. Lots of old children's novels, many that I owned as a child. Lost a TON in a basement flood, and trying to replace some, but we still have a lot of books. My husband says I don't read books but devour them. Not really inaccurate, lol! ALL of my kids love to read. Always have. My parents did, too, and that's one of the best gifts they gave me and my siblings. Love of books, of knowledge.

Nope, don't have to agree with a book to read it. Have some that we obtained just to see what they said, knowing there would be some disagreement. I am picky, too. I want REAL books, not "e-books). Some things don't need to be changed. One of my favorite smells is that of old books, and we even have a decent number of antiques, acquired in various places.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

One would think an old crank such as myself would read nothing but non-fiction. Quite the opposite. I read to get as far away from reality as possible.

The Necroscope Trilogy - Brian Lumley
Forest Gump - Winston Groom
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Hobbit

Currently reading 'The Mephisto Club' by Tess Gerritsen. Yay for Tess! I tend to stay away from female authors, but Tess is the exception. Good book! Yeah, a few spots gets a little too girlie for me, but for the most part it's all about catching an evil killer.

I read between 25-30 books a year.

edit on 5/8/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I have downloaded every encyclopedia PB offers as well as many others. I have downloaded many books, novels, and other such works of literature most would deem "classics"

really I read online everything I want. I keep my "library" on a thumb drive in case of massive information blackout. Like an ark of our current civilization's knowledge.

I would recommend everyone do the same. You don't know what will be available tomorrow.
The Pirate Bay has an excellent collection. Go check it out and get what you can while you can.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

The Lord of the Rings (including Letters from J.R.R. Tolkien and the Silmarillion + Unfinished Tales)
Twilight of the Gods
The Wars of Gods and Men
How the States Got Their Shapes
Declaring Rights
My Lai
How the Other Half Lives
Planet Earth
The Hammer of God
Sunstorm
US History for Dummies
World History for Dummies
Physics for Dummies
the list goes on and on....

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
HI welcome to this forum site.
i have lots of data in my library.and you can find anything here.
because library made from lots of data.

====================================================

Animation Tutorial

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Here's the bookcase close to me:

I have another case of cookbooks, another one that is conspiracy/occult, and one more that is mostly fiction paperbacks/some nonfiction - stuff waiting to be read. Then I have a Kindle. Lately I've been buying books on that.
I read a lot. I have numerous magazine subscriptions too, and get the WSJ.

I just realized I have 2 copies of Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell. That's probably my all time favorite work of fiction.
I wonder how I got 2 copies though. lol
Anyway, that's some of my conspiracy books and my books that I either need to read, or that have come in and need to be put where they go - like the cookbooks. I have a LOT of cookbooks.
edit on 9-5-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I forgot to mention my cookbooks and gardening ones.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Books are knowledge, books invoke emotion both fiction and non-fiction.
Fiction books help us to escape the reality of life and promote emotions like love,passion, adventure,suspense and fear.
Non-fiction are the cause of book bannings and burnings. Non-fiction authors are a threat to society, the authors are pompus and aragant because with their writings they think their way of thinking is the way we should all think.
This is why the government and certain groups ban and burn books. Because those incharge don't think the people can make the right choices. They believe people can not read a book objectivly and make the right choice..
The people are not capable of free thinking.
If someon reads Catcher in the rye, they are a murder in the making.
If someone reads the koran they are a terrorist in the making.
That may be true in some cases, but not all , I would like to believe not even in most cases.
It is those who have the power that fear books, it is they who deceide what we read, because they believe the people are not capable of making the right choices, so they make our choices for us.
Books are becoming absolete one day reading will only will be online, then banning reading will be as easy as simple deleting or just shuting down the internet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join