It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTH is next to the Sun ~ Its HUGE

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I though it was the candy of my nephew, LOL, but anyway, it was a cool post. Kinda real though many mistakes happened.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No Phage...it wont do as it dosnt remotely answer any of the points I raised. Focussing to infinity = everything from a set distance in front of the lens to infinity is in focus. All that video showed was that the depth of focus was beyone or in front of the point at where the orb developed. Also, my point about dust on a lens not showing up in any photograph is a fact, not a viewpoint, a fact that can be tested by anyone including yourself.

Your posted video does not substantiate anything other than someone playing with DOF and aperture settings.

Dust in or on lens, wont show...fact
edit on 7-5-2012 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Well this is a case of dust on a secondary lens and the optics are quite different from a consumer camera but aside from that, if dust on a lens does not appear why bother cleaning your lenses?

Are you annoyed your camera whenever you see those nasty spots on your pictures taken?

peacemusicbabe.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That is dust on a sensor not a lens....lets see if someone posts a pic of a dust marked photograph will we...I have shot through sand and dust for years and even bought a second hand lens that had mould in it because I knew it wouldnt affect image quality. I teach photography and studied to post grad level on the subject and I state without any doubt that dust will not affect a lens that is focussed to infinity.

edit on 7-5-2012 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

You seem to be laboring under some misconceptions, specifically with a rather simplistic view of the design, and construction details, of the spacecraft's optical sensor assemblies.

And, as clearly demonstrated in the video that Phage so helpfully posted, the "thing" (in that video), whilst not located directly on the "camera lens", nevertheless at a certain fixed distance in front of it, was clearly visible, even though out-of-focus, as the lens was 'focused on infinity'.

Perhaps if one took time to study some of the technical details re: the spacecraft systems, then the presences of debris in the optics will make more sense?

(It's not a Kodak Instamatic point-and-shoot, up there!!)

[ETA]

Here, perhaps some info at this site will be useful:

www.eoportal.org...

Here, for more research:

www.nationmaster.com...

(To cover Solar observatory spacecraft.....which one is the OP based on, again??)
edit on Mon 7 May 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

You are talking about dust on the outside of the front element. What happens when dust is internal?

What this means, is that dust on the front lens element generally does not impact your images, but dust on the rear lens element does. The explanation is quite simple – light enters the front lens element through different angles and gets reshaped by other lens elements inside the lens. Hence, it does not affect the image. The dust on the rear part of the lens, however, does affect the final image because the light directly hits the sensor and anything blocking the light will also show up on the sensor (especially when it is large).

mansurovs.com...
www.flickr.com...

That is what happens with a consumer grade camera. What happens in a camera with a optical path more than 1 meter long, containing a series of baffles, filters, and light traps? I'm not sure your experience transfers well to this device.
cor1.gsfc.nasa.gov...
edit on 5/7/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So what you are trying to say is that this "dust" just randomly floats around in space, and somehow found it´s way inside a multi-million dollar space telescope with vacuum sealed optics, hitting the lens on the inside? And this despite there is no wind blowing in space? And to you, this is more probable than "something else" going on here?

edit on 7-5-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
reply to post by Phage

So what you are trying to say is that this "dust" just randomly floats around in space, and somehow found it´s way inside a multi-million dollar space telescope with vacuum sealed optics, hitting the lens on the inside?

No.
Where did I say that?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Vacuum sealed? Against what? And how'd that alien invasion turn out?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Maybe, Maybe not. To many odd things going odd at the moment to just brush it off - Puterman picked up on This - something funky is going on!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
What the heck are the three dots in the pictures that form the isosceles triangle?

Just three random objects that managed to be near it and reflex the sun but none of the other next to them? Also the shape is near perfect. Do not run away from that fact.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by captiva

You are talking about dust on the outside of the front element. What happens when dust is internal?

How the hell can dust get "inside" a multi-million $ solar camera in space? You'd think they would've made sure that couldn't happen since they can't just take it apart to clean the lens or sensor whenever dust effects the images.

No offense but it sounds like you're reaching for excuses for sake of winning an arguement. None of us can know for sure if its dust or not. It's in SPACE.

Fun thread to read, though.

edit on 5/7/12 by Evildead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Evildead

I guess some people need to see an actual image, embedded in a thread, rather than following a link.

Here, Phage found this link, I embedded it:

So, it is not just a "camera" up there. And, in another post, Phage was kind enough to relay the correspondence from NASA, after a query.

Paraphrasing: There will always, despite the best efforts of "clean room" technology when assembling such precision instruments, be a chance of tiny particles still being in the units. There are countless little nooks and crannies where such things can "hide", undetected, prior to launch.

If the image above, and that explanation is still not simple enough for some (not you necessarily, but others) to grasp, then there is just not much more that can be explained.

Those who want to 'believe' that there are images of "giant spaceships around the Sun" will continue to do so....regardless of the levels of sanity and logic offered to them. Even though, there is not ONE optical Earth-based telescope image to support such a 'belief'.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by NeoVain
reply to post by Phage

So what you are trying to say is that this "dust" just randomly floats around in space, and somehow found it´s way inside a multi-million dollar space telescope with vacuum sealed optics, hitting the lens on the inside?

No.
Where did I say that?

Vacuum sealed? Against what? And how'd that alien invasion turn out?

All professional telescopes have completely sealed optics chambers, to prevent dust from entering. those put in space are also vacuum sealed to avoid internal air pressure putting stress on the chamber. You should know this. There is no way dust gets in there, as there is not even any wind blowing in space. Any such particle would travel in a strictly linear motion until it hit a surface and bounce off.. There is also no way a dust particle that would already be inside the telescope(which there would not be) but IF there where, would somehow get the momentum to relocate since there is no wind blowing on the inside either; thusly i find your explanation lacking.

There is something else going on here. And it is not internal.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by Evildead

I guess some people need to see an actual image, embedded in a thread, rather than following a link.

Here, Phage found this link, I embedded it:

So, it is not just a "camera" up there. And, in another post, Phage was kind enough to relay the correspondence from NASA, after a query.

Paraphrasing: There will always, despite the best efforts of "clean room" technology when assembling such precision instruments, be a chance of tiny particles still being in the units. There are countless little nooks and crannies where such things can "hide", undetected, prior to launch.

If the image above, and that explanation is still not simple enough for some (not you necessarily, but others) to grasp, then there is just not much more that can be explained.

Those who want to 'believe' that there are images of "giant spaceships around the Sun" will continue to do so....regardless of the levels of sanity and logic offered to them. Even though, there is not ONE optical Earth-based telescope image to support such a 'belief'.

True. Yes you are right. And phage COULD be right. But I do not feel it is that way.
The particle has show up twice reported. The 2nd time, this time, recorded around the time a black triangle "coronal hole" appeared on the sun. Whether you dont want to accept the mysterious thing that is that, it is right in front of our eyes. Then, there is the triangle thing by the ship. Whatever it is. A star system in the distant or a large craft. The fact is, it is appretnly close enough to the fact it reflected light from the sun and no other star near it did. The only ones that did were in perfect shape. And the triangle is synonymous. Get this theory: The back of the dollar bill. You've seen it. It has a triangle with an eye on it. The triangle being a gateway potentially on the sun seeing as it has the most energy we know of. Now an eye is peeking out of it. An apparent analogy for a portal and the other side is looking out. Its all symbolic. Everything. Eye of Horus. The sun God. Set. Lucifer. Whatever. The point is these triangles are shown next to the sun. And a lot of strange stuff is happening, in our time right now, on the sun. Whether you like to accept that or not, it is the truth.
We have seen many objects appear near the sun. Do you think all of them are dust particles/shooting stars?

Yes, it all sounds like a fairy tale. The rabbit hole goes deep. Some of us dig deep. Some of you stay on the surface. Everything is relevent. Everything.

Prove me wrong and I will back down.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

This is real easy to put to rest.

If the "Dust" particle remains constant like for weeks or months while taking any more of the pictures, then it probably is just a "Dust" particle. But if the "Dust" particle magically disappears, then aliens must have cleaned the lens. Its that, or it really is a huge structure of some kind out by the sun. You decide!

edit on 7-5-2012 by The Coward because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

.....but IF there where, would somehow get the momentum to relocate....

You are aware that the spacecraft are routinely re-oriented, right? Moved, in other words. From the ground, remotely.

Oh and why not review some of the photos on this site, to see the Cor1 in the lab (clean-room) before launch, and during assembly.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

There is also no way a dust particle that would already be inside the telescope(which there would not be) but IF there where, would somehow get the momentum to relocate since there is no wind blowing on the inside either; thusly i find your explanation lacking.

Right. No wind inside the telescope. But there is a certain amount of thermal expansion and contraction as well as exposure to radiation. It wouldn't be at all surprising if, after 5 and half years in space some little bits of stuff would get kicked loose.

Oh, nothing inside the camera?
I posted a raw image earlier which shows a few similar objects, the ones mentioned in the response I got. And let's not forget about this (about STEREO A).

So, tell me...what sort of external object would be able to stay in exactly the same position in the frame for days on end as the spacecraft orbits the Sun? There is something going on and it is internal.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by The Coward

No.
The object will disappear when the automatic background subtraction software corrects for it. Just as it has corrected for the other dust particles and other stuff which is present.

See an example of a raw image here:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by NeoVain

.....but IF there where, would somehow get the momentum to relocate....

You are aware that the spacecraft are routinely re-oriented, right? Moved, in other words. From the ground, remotely.

It is not moved, only slightly adjusted to keep the sun in focus. I am aware of those adjustments, they are too insignificant to impart any kind of momentum of such magnitude to a non-existing dust particle inside the telescope, that it would move around.

Also if there indeed is a dust particle trapped on the inside, then it must have been there from the start: when the telescope was built originally back on earth. Do you find this likely, considering who built it and why?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by The Coward

Well, in the case of other aberrations in the unit, this is exactly what's seen:

If the "Dust" particle remains constant like for weeks or months....

The point is that even when the spacecraft is re-oriented, the "distortion" moves with it....proving it is an internal flaw.

But, if you read the reply from NASA (few pages back) to Phage's e-mail query, they do have algorithms they can use to make the flaw be "ignored" in the image processing software. It is an annoyance, to those who are scientists, and experts in their respective fields.....and, also.....they are smart enough to know to overlook it, for the time being....since, they know what's causing it.

Have you ever heard a music CD skip, due to a scratch, or other flaw? If so, did you think it was part of the music, or were you able to interpret that it was, indeed, a minor flaw?

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join