It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does my cat drink out of the toilet?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jenlovesturtles
reply to post by smyleegrl

My cats used to do that as well, I found that if I added ice cubes to the pet water fountain reserve part they stopped messing with the toilet water I think it has something to do with the temperature of the water. As far as them smacking the water some cats just like to play in water. My black cat likes to sleep in the bathtub I don't know why, he also likes to sit on the side of the tub while your showering and smack at the water that falls near him. I always thought my cat was just a wierdo

weirdo!? that sounds like the cutest funniest thing ever. I love cats because they are so inquisitive and each one has its own defined pesonality.

my parents have a little black and white cat who always jumps in the basin in the bathroom and swats at the droplets of water as they fall from the tap. She also always sleeps in funny cramped areas, like boxes and bowls. There is this one big wooden bowl they have as an ornament on their dining table and after shes done frolicking in the backyard she sprints inside, jumps on the table and hops into her wooden bowl for afternoon naps.

Cats are just funny little things like that - each one will do something different that your previous cats never did.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Title says it all. I have two cats, indoors only, approx 5-6 years old.

They will not drink from a water dish.

I figured it was bc stagnant water tastes bad, so bought one of those fancy pet fountain that circulates and filters the water. They will not drink from it, even when all four bathrooms are closed off. Tried running the fountain with and without the filter, no change.

Both cats prefer to drink from the bathroom sink. They follow me into the bathroom and wait for me to leave the sink on. Then they drink straight from it. I do this every morning and night, but I don't leave the faucet running during the day. Hence the toilet drinking.

They've even started to take their "toys" and drop them in the toilet, then fish them out to play with.

It can be quite a shock to go to the bathroom and find my sons little stuffed tiger in the toilet and the floor sopping wet.

Does anyone else have cats who do this? Am I not providing something they need? All help appreciated!

I know the answer to this!!! It's because the dog eats out of the litter box and the cat is trying to adapt in order to communicate better!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
Good question!
Mine is:
Why does my cat pee in the bathtub??

try moving the litterbox to a different location. my mother's cat did that. once she relocated his litterboxes to a more comfortable location he stopped doing that.

you could also try putting a soft rug under it.

I think cats may be the schizophrenics of the animal world.
edit on 6/1/2012 by aaaiii because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well, I just had to laugh!...we have two kats. Brother and sister that are a little more than 4 yrs old. Both liked to hit either the sink, or the toilet for a drink while ignoring the water dish. My wife found this about 3 yrs ago and tried it on them. They like having their own toilet and drink from it religiously! In the picture is the "She Devil" just leaving from getting a drink.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mjp54

your photo made my day.

thanks!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Title says it all. I have two cats, indoors only, approx 5-6 years old.

They will not drink from a water dish.

I figured it was bc stagnant water tastes bad, so bought one of those fancy pet fountain that circulates and filters the water. They will not drink from it, even when all four bathrooms are closed off. Tried running the fountain with and without the filter, no change.

Both cats prefer to drink from the bathroom sink. They follow me into the bathroom and wait for me to leave the sink on. Then they drink straight from it. I do this every morning and night, but I don't leave the faucet running during the day. Hence the toilet drinking.

They've even started to take their "toys" and drop them in the toilet, then fish them out to play with.

It can be quite a shock to go to the bathroom and find my sons little stuffed tiger in the toilet and the floor sopping wet.

Does anyone else have cats who do this? Am I not providing something they need? All help appreciated!

I know the answer to this!!! It's because the dog eats out of the litter box and the cat is trying to adapt in order to communicate better!!!

Actually, a real answer might be that the water bowl you're using is too "small". Their whiskers are used to sense whether their body can fit into a particular area and they're sensing that the water bowl won't let their head into it to get the water so they find the next easiest source of water with a large opening to it and it happens to be the toilet bowl.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join