It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does my cat drink out of the toilet?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

your cat needs to go to the vet. Peeing in the tub is a sign of a UTI

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Odyssevs

Technically cats shouldn't be drinking water at all.

they are desert animals, they should get most of their water from food which is why dry cat food is so horrible for them and the incidents of diabetes is skyrocketing.

Feeding a cat dry food is like feeding them potato chips. Even the cheapest canned food is still better for them then the most expensive dry.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

If I were an engineer, I'd invent something to let cats turn the taps on and off. Since I'm no engineer, I pass the idea on to you, ATS...

I seriously doubt that cats would care about turning the faucet off.

What you need is a faucet that works on a motion sensor and has an auto shut off. They already sell these.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well I also have 2 cats with 5 years, and about a year or so they stop drinking from the usual bowl of water and only want water from the bathroom.
I keep the toilet set down to avoid the toys-in-it part, but I think they prefer the running water instead of the one in the bowl but if we aren't home they still drink from the bowl..so my advice would be, don't stress about it, leave the toilet seat down and you should be fine

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I recently rescued a cat from my cousins interstate move and had all sorts of dramas trying to get it to drink from its water bowl.

I eventually had success with a four litre(roughly a gallon) ice-cream container after having no luck with store bought dishes. I'm pretty sure that the quantity of water made the difference.

I change it daily and give the container a scrub with hot soapy water once every week or two.

So far, so good. The cat seems to like drinking from it and the feline shaped footprints have stopped mysteriously appearing in the bathroom during the night.

edit on 5/5/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The cats we have now, one of them seems to like being wet and will sometimes get a drink from the toilet. To prevent this we use special drinking glasses that we leave around the house and refill them periodically with water. The kitties drink out of the special glasses( I assume thinking they are getting my drink). They don't go anywhere near the expensive kitty fountains (we have two).

Years ago I had a cat who would not drink from his dish until he knocked it over and then would drink the water as it cascaded across the floor towards the floor drain (in the basement). I have video of him doing that somewhere on VHS.

Cats are strange.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My cats won't touch their water bowls,I just keep their bowls only for the sake of it,no matter how many times I clean and refill them,metal or plastic they prefer to drink water from a glass.So every night before we go to bed I fill a large glass with cool tap water and leave it on the floor for them to drink.Countless times in hurry in the morning,or still asleep I have knocked over their glass,but everything for my fluffy babies.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Dont know if its been said already, too tired too read all the replies at mo.

My doy kept eating all the toe ends out of my socks VERY ANNOYING!!! Vet told me its because that part of the foot has same smell as femail dog ....parts.

So maybe theres something in the loo thats similar to cat parts?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
lots of peoples cats like to drink from running water, i suppose the sound of rushing water means its more likely fresh?

That'b my guess

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Erm haven't you thought of leaving the toilet seat down???

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Oh dear! All the parts of the puzzle are here.

YOU use the water in the bathroom so it is safe!

YOU never get down and drink out of their bowl, so neither do they!

We all like running water because it is fresh.

Cats and dogs follow what you do, not what you think you do.

Cats and dogs drinking out of the toilet is not all that safe for them. Their bacteria is very different from human bacteria!

P

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Would they drink milk from a bowl?
If you got them used to drinking milk from it then switch it out with water after a week or so, it may carry over.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Yes, in fact start with milk and keep adding more and more water to the mix until it is mostly water.

P

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Also you could try not flushing the toilet, I know thats a bit gross on your part, but if you show them what you use it for they won't want that water any more surely.

Leave a submarine floating and just laugh at the cat.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This is a kitty conspiracy.

They are training their humans to give them water in human glasses and cups for some nefarious purpose. Maybe a trial run for training humans for a task not so innocuous.

The kitties are taking over.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Didn't read the whole thread so pardon me if this answer is redundant

Cats prefer running water because it mimics their natural environment. They actually make running water bowls that you can buy.

They also like eating on textured (as opposed to smooth) surfaces for the same reason

Hope this helps!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I suspected I'd get a few, but not this many!

To address a few points: we do leave the lids down on the toilets. Well, I do....my husband and five year old forget to, a lot.

We got the running water fountain thinking running water would be more enticing....but no go. I tried the ice cubes yesterday, they just looked at me like I was nuts.

I don't mind them drinking out of the bathroom faucets, I was mainly worried about the chemicals and bacteria in the toilet.

Per our vet's recommendation, we feed them dry cat food which is always in their bowl. Twice a day we add the canned cat food so they do get water from it.

So cats are strange and that's why they are so fascinating. Thanks for the replies!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by Raivan31

Because he can.
Same reason he licks himself on the groin.

Bet you wish you could do that too huh.
You may want to pet him first though.

Disgusting and insulting.

Total lack of sense of humour and incapable of laughing at your own expense

Wow.

If you know me at all, then you know I love a good laugh. And goodness knows laughing at my own absurdities keeps me sane.

What you wrote, however, was not amusing. When I called you on it, you accuse me of having no sense of humor.

Perhaps the truth is my humor is simply to sophisticated for someone who considers "groin jokes" to be the height of hilarity.

Sigh.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join