It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does my cat drink out of the toilet?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
If your cat is thirsty enough, it will drink from the fountain. You are treating the cats to well, dont let them drink from the bathroom..

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Cats are not exactly colorblind they can see in some colors but not all colors, but I agree they cant see water which is probably why some smack it cause they do see motion better. I'm not real good on the technical explainations but I found my information at this place. (idk much about posting links maybe it will work
)

But here is the addy. Good luck!

www.ccmr.cornell.edu...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Mine never drank from the toilet.

He would only pee in the toilet.

I miss my cool cat..

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Seems like i'm not the only one with this problem.

Have no idea why he prefers toilet water over the water in his dish...
As soon as I walk through the door he on me like a shadow until I put the seat up so he can get a drink.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is simple.

BECAUSE YOU LEAVE THE LID UP!

Conspiracy solved.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by circa1989
This is simple.

BECAUSE YOU LEAVE THE LID UP!

Conspiracy solved.

Nope I leave the lid down...I'm not "that guy". He will sit there a meow until I put the seat up for him.
He also prefers shower water to the water in his bowl.
Cats are weird...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Why do you ask stupid questions?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
My cat will only try to drink out of it after I've cleaned it with bleach. Sometimes I'll leave the bleach in for awhile and close the lid but he will try to open the lid to get into it?

Cats are crazy!

We run a cat rescue. There are about 36 cats here at the moment. They all have the run of the house; we leave food and water out for them 24 hours a day. We haven't had a problem with them drinking out of toilets, mainly because we leave the top down (we've sometimes had kittens in the house, and we were afraid of them drowning). But we do leave a drip going in the tub, and another in a bathroom sink and sometimes the kitchen sink. Some of them will drink from those drips even when they're not thirsty, just because they like the idea of running water.

But about the bleach: We discovered long ago that some cats react to chlorinated bleach as if it were catnip. Literally. Because of the number of cats we use a LOT of vinegar (excellent deodorizer) and a lot of bleach. At any given time we'll have about 10% of them absolutely wallowing on the floors and counters near where we've bleached....

edit on 5/5/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
The water in the toilet is cool and fresh and pretty clean (as long as you aren't scuzzy- i'm sure you're not xD).

My cat is the same way- with the faucets though. He doesn't drink from the toilet, thankfully. He's a weirdo though- he'll drink from my glass of water and the faucet only...never a bowl.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It's not for mere mortal humans like us to even wonder why cat's do what they do, it is our job to serve our cat masters.

My cat only drinks rain water from puddles, I have tried him with everything and with loads of different dishes etc but he loves drinking rainwater which has collected on a iron grate in my garden.

My cat dribbles alot when I tickle him under the chin and its as clear as mountain dew
not like myself when I dribble, does anyone elses cat do this?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Have noticed that too. Must be something with fresh/running water. It does have it's advantages. This way I keep the toilet very clean just so he doesen't get sick... Then again I could just deny him his toilet water fix. It's like hes addicted. Honestly it's not my cat but his owner says this is recent he started doing this. It started after the other cat in the house died from a possible bio film build up in the little dish that's looks like a deep rock water cooler. Thinking that has something to do with it.

He's a really cool cat and would feel really bad if something happned on my watch.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Kitty's are magic

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

My cat dribbles alot when I tickle him under the chin and its as clear as mountain dew not like myself when I dribble, does anyone elses cat do this?
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yes, quite a few cats will start to drool when they are getting petted. It all goes back to when they were at their mother's teat, they behave the same way: Drooling, kneading with their claws, eyes half closed, purring. As kittens nurse, their mother cleans them and it feels nice, like being petted.

Basically, they revert to an infantile state when we give them affection. We become their parents. All my cats drool when I pet them, only some are heavy droolers and some are light droolers.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

AH learn something new everyday and it's a good day

Cheers fella/dudette

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I love cats

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

My cat dribbles alot when I tickle him under the chin and its as clear as mountain dew not like myself when I dribble, does anyone elses cat do this?
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yes, quite a few cats will start to drool when they are getting petted. It all goes back to when they were at their mother's teat, they behave the same way: Drooling, kneading with their claws, eyes half closed, purring. As kittens nurse, their mother cleans them and it feels nice, like being petted.

Basically, they revert to an infantile state when we give them affection. We become their parents. All my cats drool when I pet them, only some are heavy droolers and some are light droolers.

My cats also

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Have you looked into Virkon? Some of the cat rescues I volunteer with use it as a safe alternative to harsh cleaners and disinfectants. It is the only thing we've found that apparently kills the Feline Distemper virus.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
KITTYS!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
So lots of cats drink from taps or the toilet.

If I were an engineer, I'd invent something to let cats turn the taps on and off. Since I'm no engineer, I pass the idea on to you, ATS...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think it is habit. They have developed a routine that you allowed and probably enjoyed and maybe even encouraged them at first. I doubt it has anything to do with the taste or temp of the water

If you don't like their behavior. Train your cats that it's not OK. Do not allow then to drink from any bathroom water source. Close the door and keep the cats out of the bathroom. Even when you just use the sink. Keep the bathroom doors closed at all times. If they slip past security keep a squirt bottle and shoot water at them if they try to drink from the toilet or sink. Eventually they will learn to drink from the bowl.

They do it because they can and you give them attention when they do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join