It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard and MIT offer free classes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) today announced edX, a transformational new partnership in online education. Through edX, the two institutions will collaborate to enhance campus-based teaching and learning and build a global community of online learners.

www.edxonline.org...

This is truly an historic day for education. Harvard and MIT have announced that they will be offering free online classes through edX. Anybody, anywhere with a computer is eligible to take a class. The future of Americans in the global job market depends on easily accessible information. This is a great display of nationalism by these two institutions taking the initiative to start training American workers. The old rules of education and money have changed, and the Chinese and Indian private sectors have been striking the metal while, producing quality workers that work for cheap. I hope to see more opportunities coming from the private sector aimed toward equipting the American worker.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This does sound wonderful but there must be a catch.

Surrender your DNA, first born, property, soul, faith, or vinyl collection.

Knowledge is power, so why just give power away.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth
This does sound wonderful but there must be a catch.

Surrender your DNA, first born, property, soul, faith, or vinyl collection.

Knowledge is power, so why just give power away.

Indeed knowledge is power, but think of it this way: All your life you are taught to work hard and save money. They don't teach you to invest your retirement money, or start a small business, just be ordinary. In captialism, we are like the robots in a factory. We have a high effiency and output, but the company has a budget deficet. If the company wishes to get out of debt, the first thing it should do is increase sales. The best way to increase sales is to upgrade your robots or get new ones, increasing your output.

One of the big key points in the upcoming election will be job production. Unfortunately, there's hasn't been enough done to protect domestic jobs. The people with their hands in congresses pockets are the business owners that want to send jobs overseas. Their arguments for this are legitmate (maybe not that conscionable). In the case of Havard and MIT, I just see this as honest concern and initiative.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
no catch....just limited free courses...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hmm depends on the courses. Right now I'm staying with Course Hero and Alison

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
The future of Americans
great display of nationalism
training American workers
the American worker.

The gathering of many universities’ educational content together on one site will enable learners worldwide to access the course content...
...creating a bold new educational path for millions of learners worldwide,”

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Hmm depends on the courses. Right now I'm staying with Course Hero and Alison

Online courses? For what school and how are you liking it?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

Oh their just leisure time. Stuff to keep me busy while out of school. Some offer electives, some don't. Some offer certificates, some don't.

There's a lot of schools online that offer free courses, I'll have to go look again. I think have like over 26 certificates.

I'm going study the computer programming one on course hero.

Maybe the Spanish on Alison.

School of Medicine: Office of continuing online medical education. They offer some too. Now those are difficult.
edit on 5-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by CaptainNemo
The future of Americans
great display of nationalism
training American workers
the American worker.

The gathering of many universities’ educational content together on one site will enable learners worldwide to access the course content...
...creating a bold new educational path for millions of learners worldwide,”

Amazing right? How equal the playing field has become?

I just want to see a resurgence in American worker pride. After WWII you could trust us with completing ANY job. Now we are the world's largest debtor and in just 20 years since the beginning of the information age the tables have turned. We have to show some urgency like China and India have.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Oh their just leisure time. Stuff to keep me busy while out of school. Some offer electives, some don't. Some offer certificates, some don't.

There's a lot of schools online that offer free courses, I'll have to go look again. I think have like over 26 certificates.

I'm going study the computer programming one on course hero.

Maybe the Spanish on Alison.

School of Medicine: Office of continuing online medical education. They offer some too. Now those are difficult.

Very cool. I've been experimenting with it for my first time with a construction materials class. I love it! It's so manageable and I want to take a few more.

I use Angel, I haven't heard of the other interfaces your talking about.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Course Hero
www.coursehero.com...

Alison
alison.com...

School of Medicine from Harvard
cmeonline.med.harvard.edu...

Baylor
www.baylorcme.org...

You get college credit with this site: Supposedly anyway.
education-portal.com...

top topics

join