It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Carnivores Tell Us Why It’s Ethical to Eat Meat: A Contest, A Summary, A Winner

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

Obesity has more to do with sugar and carbs than meat.

Are you associating obesity with meat or just america in general? You know that plenty of "vegetarians" get too many sugars and carbs and pack on hte pounds with the best of em.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

Killing to get food has been going on forever and is as natural as sex. I was watching a show on reality TV with this survivalist guy who was living with some jungle people. They were making a feast. One of them came up with a bow and shot a pig through the middle and it squeeled. Then they slit its throat (it was still alive). When I was growing up it was routine at a neighbors place to grab live chickens and put them on the chopping block and watch as a headless chicken ran away a dozen steps before flopping over. It ain't pretty, but that's has it has always been. I agree with you that the tactics they use on factory farms is immoral and disgusting, but that's because I don't agree with the way the animals live on those farms, not because they're killed in brutal ways.

This is why I buy my meat locally from farms I respect. The animals are free ranging.
edit on 8-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by strangedays

Dogs are very social animals. I think that's one of the reasons humans don't normally eat them. I love dogs for that matter. We wouldn't eat wolves for the same reason. Wolves care for their young and have parents. They're a lot like us. However, cows and deer, by comparison, are unruly and stupid and/or asocial. For example, when you examine deer, you see that, while they have parents too, their parents will often not care for their young or they will simply not parent at all.

So I think to some extent there're some animals we don't want to eat because they're more like us. However, if push comes to shove and we HAVE to, we will even eat other humans.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I think your problem is probably psychological. You said "IMAGINE" when you wanted your reader to picture a cow fearing for his/her life as he/she overheard the slaughter of his fellow species up ahead. The problem is that cows are very dumb animals and just don't do this. One of the reasons we farm them is BECAUSE they're this way. You're anthropomorphizing them. I think that a lot of vegetarians do this. My bet is that you see a bit yourself in everything. This is your problem. How can you live life comfortably if you think everything is like yourself? Everytime you step on a bug you'll feel like you're stepping on yourself. That's not rationale. YOu need a psychiatrist.

Here was my previous post that stated why it's ethical to eat meat:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
ed it on 8-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Actually, once you're past the age 52, everybody needs b-12 supplements because (for one reason or another) the b-12 is very difficult to digest at that age. It's also best to take Methylcobalamin.

Far as I know, b-12 deficiency is more common in senior citizens for this reason.

It's possible to get small amounts of b-12 by eating leaves/berries without washing them. And I think I've heard that some mushrooms have it too (absorbed from soil onto their peel).

But you'll never meet your RDA for b12 without a more industrial method (or just by eating meat).

The main reason to eat meat is: amino acids (proteins), long chain (good) fats.

A healthy brain is a brain that gets some animal-based food.

And as a way to tie all this post together, go here:
www.seniorjournal.com ...

Then go here to feel more comfortable (err):
www.nytimes.com ...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

But you'll never meet your RDA for b12 without a more industrial method (or just by eating meat).

The main reason to eat meat is: amino acids (proteins), long chain (good) fats.
reply to post by jonnywhite

I already said most people need to supplement.

As to your second statement, you can get both of those nutrients without eating meat. It's been shown several times in the thread already.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I just want to say I support all you red meat eaters even though im not doing it. I have to watch my salt and red meat intake because of health issues. We need the red meat industry.

The reps can eat beef as a people substitution.
edit on 8-5-2012 by strangedays because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Meat is an excellent source of amino acids. It's renowed for that.

As for long chain fats, preformed EPA/DHA are readily available in meat. Veggies/seeds/etc won't get you these things in the amounts you need (it's too inefficient to convert in the body).

Brain size and meat eating have beeen going down in the past 30,000 years. Correlation.

Causation? Who knows. Just thought I'd put that here.

If you want to be short, stupid and depressed then stick with vegetarianism.

There's a reason the vast majority of people in the world are meat eaters.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join