It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Squid Devours Sea Gull

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is an amazing picture of a Sea Gull being pulled under the ocean by a "Red Devil" squid. I'm sure that squid probably capture birds upon occasion, but this is still an interesting picture, captured at the perfect moment.

Enjoy the wonders and beauty of nature.

abcnews.go.com...

This Humboldt "Red Devil" squid was caught on camera devouring a defenseless sea gull off the Pacific coast of Canada at Victoria's Ogden Point breakwater. The squid trapped the bird with its tentacles before dragging it down to the bottom of the ocean, Ginger Morneau, the amateur photographer who snapped the picture moments before the sea gull's imminent death, told the Daily Mail. (Ginger Morneau/The Canadian Press/AP Photo)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

UGHHHH!!!

That is a horrifying photo! Poor bird...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
A squid's gotta eat too.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Looks like an angel squid.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Liked the comment "defenseless sea gull"

It's got wings. That's not defenseless, mate.

And it does look like some weird angel

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It looked like the squid got wings.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I live near the ocean and often see tourists feeding sea gulls. A lot of people unfamiliar with birds have no idea it is basically a flying rat. It is single handed to the most disgusting bird ever known to man in my book. Makes me laugh out loud every time I see someone throwing them food.

It would be like me going to New York city and taking my whole family to feed the rats in the alley. Could you imagine me out back with my kids taking pictures of the rats coming out to eat. People are morons....stop feeding my rats!!!!
edit on 5-5-2012 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2012 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

In your estimated opinion. We have plenty around and they're beautiful, alot nicer than the starlings that got brought over from UK and plague farmers, however, birds are beautiful.

And seeing a predator of any kind devouring is not a nice nature shot, its really ugly.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

The starlings were brought to help with the mosquito population. Imagine life without them? You would need to bath in "OFF" to stay outdoors. I like the starlings. Especially when the fill up the trees during a migration. Its like the tree is infested with birds. They all take flight at the same moment like they have some psychic communications going on.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I've lived on the coast my whole life. I dont look at the gulls as rats. Thats a pretty low opinion for a bird. What did they ever do to you that you think so little of them ? They are lovely to watch fly. So graceful. They clean the beaches up by eating the dead fish that wash up. They even help with peoples litter. If you throw the bread from your mickey dees burger on the ground, they eat it up.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Baby Cthulu!

Nature never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for the thread!

-TS

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

About as beautiful as a zombie IMO

This is just one report of many about the diseases these nasty creatures carry. Pet one if you want but I would rather feed them an alka seltzer....

LINK

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I think of them as rats with wings, too, ever since watching a nature documentary of them devouring most of the sea turtle hatchlings trying to make it out to sea. They do poop on everything...and everyone. Still, a trip to the beach...or the parking lot...wouldn't be the same without them. Just bring an umbrella!

But the worst beach rats are people who use the beach as their own personal ashtray and litter the place up with so many cigarette butts it's hard to avoid them...or plastic bottles. Watch out, litterbugs, the sea will have its revenge...beware the Great Cthulu!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

In your estimated opinion. We have plenty around and they're beautiful, alot nicer than the starlings that got brought over from UK and plague farmers, however, birds are beautiful.

And seeing a predator of any kind devouring is not a nice nature shot, its really ugly.

It may be ugly but that's nature. Animals gotta eat too.

Peace...

top topics

join