It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cellphone anxiety.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
As I sit here, in front of my computer, I realized I forgot my cellphone at home.

First I panicked, but as time went by, I felt strangely free. Now, I actually felt good I forgot it at home.

I think in future, I might leave it at home more often. We have become so attached to our phones, that we can almost not function without it. Yet, we can. Everywhere I go, I see people on their phones the whole time, in the shop, in the toilet, on the train, the bus, everywhere! I feel it has become such a big part of our lives, that without it, we feel we cannot function normally.

Yes, I know, it is important for some functions, and I do not dispute that. I use my phone a lot, and that why it just felt so good to not have it with me for a bit.

Well that is it, just wanted to share this freedom.

vvv

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I feel naked without my phone. Sad really.
I wouldn't be able to visit ATS at work without it though but it can be a relief when you haven't got constant phone calls, text messages and emails ringing in your ear. As long as your not waiting for an important call.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Have you ever wondered how people functioned twenty years ago without all this "instant technology?"

We managed just fine.

So leave your phone in your car. That's where I leave mine. It's there in case of an emergency, but otherwise it's not a big part of my life.

You're right. It is freeing to realize its all just stuff.

S&F

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I'm one of those rare dinosaurs that does not own a cell phone and do not want one. I got rid of my TV cable a few years back and don't miss it one bit. I function just fine with my land line and internet connections. I find most of the time these devices are WMD - weapons of mass distraction. They are also a major addiction as evident in the many times my students have been caught texting in class, despite the no cellphone policy at my school. It's really sad to see how manipulatable the current generation is with all this technology. We as a society are losing the art of truly being present with others due to constant distractions and the placement of our own desires above the needs of those we are with.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by boeserwolf
I'm one of those rare dinosaurs that does not own a cell phone and do not want one. I got rid of my TV cable a few years back and don't miss it one bit. I function just fine with my land line and internet connections. I find most of the time these devices are WMD - weapons of mass distraction. They are also a major addiction as evident in the many times my students have been caught texting in class, despite the no cellphone policy at my school. It's really sad to see how manipulatable the current generation is with all this technology. We as a society are losing the art of truly being present with others due to constant distractions and the placement of our own desires above the needs of those we are with.

It always amazes me when I go to an amusement park or another type of attraction and see folks on their cellphones. They're missing life and don't even know it.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
THE CELPHONE WALK.

Some walk ten feet then turn, walk ten feet then turn.

Some walk but keep one leg imobilised and so they continue to go round in circles.

Some walk but stare at the ground, and bump into people,

Some walk while gazing up at the sky as if the person they are speaking to is up there somewhere.

Some walk while flailing their free arm about.

On a construction that I worked on their was a guy who done the nazi goose step while on his phone.

People on their phone are amusement for me, much better than watching tv

edit on 5-5-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

As I sit here, in front of my computer, I realized I forgot my cellphone at home.
First I panicked, but as time went by, I felt strangely free. Now, I actually felt good I forgot it at home.

Did you realize you can probably check for phone messages online through your phone company?

Just in case you were expecting an important call

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Just in case of emergency it's good to keep a phone with you. But how about turning the phone off when you want to have some peace and quiet.

top topics

join