It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hologram Communication Developed - The Telepod

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

The picture doesn't really do it justice.

You can watch a video at the source article.

Researchers at Queen's University have created new technology that allows users to interact and speak with 3-D holograms of each other, an innovation that could potentially revolutionize videoconferencing.

The technology, called TeleHuman, was created by Prof. Roel Vertegaal and his team at the Human Media Lab.

To use TeleHuman, participants simply stand inside a large-size cylinder shaped pod where 3-D video of them is taken. The video is then converted into a realistic 3-D image that is projected to the other conference participants.

Read more: www.ctv.ca...

This is really just an upgrade for current tele-presence systems. But judging by the video, it does seem to be a worthy upgrade. As the person look three dimensional in it.

The quality isn't amazing, and there are probably other private firms or other groups that can improve on it, but the concept is something a little different than most marketed systems out there.

It is being hailed as a "Star Trek Holodeck" by some MSM, but I feel that's a stretch. In any case though, in five to ten years we should be at the point where a much better system is marketed commercially.

Just using facetime today makes old webcam chats seem like something out of the dark ages.
edit on 5-5-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Why are we spending so much effort in making this tech, when it's the idea that needs to be sent?

I don't make a phone call to tell someone to come pick me up, needing them to see my in 3d.

I do love the tech, I just don't see it's value, in this area. In surgery or areas where it's a necessity to be aware of a three dimensional environment, I can, but..

I suppose we need to make big SMALL steps before we can realise the bigger picture.. ahha.. seems I answer my own question.

at least to some extent.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I stopped at using M$ kinect. Growl...

also, it may benefit the people in the audience, but the reason for it is lost in the technology. If eye contact is a reason for it's invention, you have to ask then, how can the person in the pod actually do any more than stare at a blank white space. It's stealing three dimensions from one person, and giving it to many others.

First step though, next I can see it using a curved lenticular film optical display as the pod itself. Semi 3d, but with the limited field of movement, would work quite well for the 1 person contained within.

Shazzam, Im giving away ideas... MINE MINE MINEMINEMINE!!!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
For people separated by great distances (such as military families) I can see this being a huge bonus. Business conference applications aside, I can see this technology being an enormous advantage to people who are apart from their families for long lengths of time & distance. No kids, that figure of dad on the cylinder can't hug you back yet, but you sure can hug it if you want to. Heck of a lot closer to a real humanoid figure than a monitor is, being a full-sized projection of someone.

I like it, I think the emotional benefits of the illusion could help some people a great deal

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If they can have a concert with a well rendered holographic image of tupac, then why cant they make this look better?
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join