It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona bans funding to Planned Parenthood in abortion fight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Arizona bans funding to Planned Parenthood in abortion fight
Yahoo News Story

Arizona has banned State funding to Planned Parenthood.

The bill "Whole Woman's Health Funding Priority Act" was signed by the Governor on May 4th.

The Governor said she stands with the majority of Americans who oppose the use of taxpayer funds for abortion.

Supporters say the law is necessary to prevent back door funding.

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill banning abortion providers like Planned Parenthood from receiving money through the state, her office said in a statement.

The Republican-backed Whole Woman's Health Funding Priority Act cuts off funding for family planning and health services delivered by Planned Parenthood clinics and other organizations offering abortions.

"By signing this measure into law I stand with the majority of Americans who oppose the use of taxpayer funds for abortion," Brewer said in a statement.

Naturally, some "side issues" are claimed

Arizona joins six other states with similar laws, officials said. But three of those states -- Indiana, Kansas and North Carolina -- are facing legal challenges.

Arizona does not provide tax dollars for abortion, but backers said the law is needed to make sure that no indirect monies are funneled to organizations like Planned Parenthood that provide abortion and other health services. There were no estimates of how much money is involved.

But officials at Planned Parenthood Arizona, the state's largest abortion provider, said the law means that thousands of women in the state may now go without life-saving cancer screenings, birth control and basic health care.

Claims of "loss of insurance" ??

"We are most concerned about the women and men who could be forced to go without health care as a result of this bill," Bryan Howard, Planned Parenthood Arizona's president and CEO, said in a prepared statement.

How does somebody lose insurance from this new law ?

Hmmm.....

I wonder if that's actually in the new law ?

edit on May-05-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
A small percentage of what planned parenthood does is abortion. 3% that is.The rest is education, research and sexual health care(sounds more awesome than it is).

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Bahh... I'm getting so sick of this whole thing we're seeing play out across the nation. If the "Great Uniter" actually had been, we wouldn't be a nation tearing itself apart on so many different levels.

Arizona just had to pick this moment to kick this new fight off and with other states. I'm sure this has nothing to do with the Obamacare bill having pushed the issue to a put up/shut up situation to both sides almost by default.

It's not just abortion of course, but of the giant dividing issues, it's got to rank the top 3 and we seem to have the whole top 10 raging at once right now.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
No funds should be going to fund abortion at all someone tell me the sense in spending tax dollars murdering future potential tax payers?

Or the next Potus,Buffet,Gates,Jobs.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Sweet...another upbeat thread from you.

What is next for this 3rd world state..?

I'll tell you what's next damnit...starting in 2015, if you have a child out of wedlock, you will be deported.

F' Arizona...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Sweet...another upbeat thread from you.

What is next for this 3rd world state..?

I'll tell you what's next damnit...starting in 2015, if you have a child out of wedlock, you will be deported.

F' Arizona...

Will they deport the child too ?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Will they deport the child too ?

Nah...the idea of them losing out on years of taxation, even from one individual, is a no-go.

So, sad...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I won't speak to the abortion angle of this since I don't have a uterus, but I constantly find the bill naming quite amusing. Whole Woman's Health Funding Priority Act? Well, except for reproductive health. I suppose that's not a priority? Or is it not a part of a whole woman? Wouldn't it be more apt to call it something like the Partial Woman's Health De-funding Unimportance Act or some such?

Seriously, the names are just getting stupid. It's getting to the point that you can read the name of a bill and you know exactly what it is... the opposite of what the name implies.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

No just abort it with taxpayer money.

Second.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

My main concern is not whether planned parenthood is good, bad, or indifferent.

My concern is the Corruption and Theft.

That outfit has been involved in several scandals already.

They are a major shareholder in "Corruption Incorporated"

Plus all that, many people there have been indoctrinated into this idea:

Margaret Sanger, "Birth Control and Racial Betterment," Feb 1919

Before eugenists and others who are laboring for racial betterment can succeed, they must first clear the way for Birth Control. Like the advocates of Birth Control, the eugenists, for instance, are seeking to assist the race toward the elimination of the unfit. Both are seeking a single end but they lay emphasis upon different methods.

Eugenists emphasize the mating of healthy couples for the conscious purpose of producing healthy children, the sterilization of the unfit to prevent their populating the world with their kind and they may, perhaps, agree with us that contraception is a necessary measure among the masses of the workers, where wages do not keep pace with the growth of the family and its necessities in the way of food, clothing, housing, medical attention, education and the like.

We who advocate Birth Control, on the other hand, lay all our emphasis upon stopping not only the reproduction of the unfit but upon stopping all reproduction when there is not economic means of providing proper care for those who are born in health. The eugenist also believes that a woman should bear as many healthy children as possible as a duty to the state. We hold that the world is already over-populated. Eugenists imply or insist that a woman's first duty is to the state; we contend that her duty to herself is her duty to the state.

Birth Control and Racial Betterment - By Margaret Sanger

Margaret Higgins Sanger (September 14, 1879 – September 6, 1966) was an American sex educator, nurse, and birth control activist. Sanger coined the term birth control, opened the first birth control clinic in the United States, and established Planned Parenthood Sanger's efforts contributed to the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case which legalized contraception in the United States. Sanger is a frequent target of criticism by opponents of the legalization of abortion, based primarily upon her racial views and support of eugenics, but she remains an iconic figure for the American reproductive rights movement.

Her early years were spent in New York City, where she associated with social activists such as Upton Sinclair and Emma Goldman. In 1914, prompted by suffering she witnessed due to frequent pregnancies and self-induced abortions, she started publishing a monthly newsletter, The Woman Rebel. Sanger's activism was influenced by the conditions of her youth — her mother had 18 pregnancies in 22 years, and died at age 50 of tuberculosis and cervical cancer.

Margaret Sanger

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Why doesn't Planned Parenthood stop performing abortions and let some other organization do them? That way they don't lose their funding. If no such other organization currently exist they could help to establish one. This way we could be sure no taxpayer money is being used on abortion's.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Makeshift
Why doesn't Planned Parenthood stop performing abortions and let some other organization do them? That way they don't lose their funding. If no such other organization currently exist they could help to establish one. This way we could be sure no taxpayer money is being used on abortion's.

It might have something to do with Money

Corruption is the fertilizer that grows the flowers !

If somebody else takes the "business", then somebody else gets the money.

And I think the new law just stopped the taxpayer money.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Sounds like Arizona is going to true to make it self go blue this November...

I really think it is bad politics to go after things that women respect in mass.
Nobody is forcing the GOP or Conservatives to do this, and the timing is
really bad...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by braindeadconservatives

I'd say about the only way Arizona will vote for Obama is if about half the state doesn't vote and a fair % of those remaining are off the books and illegal. Arizona is about as red as it gets and from a friend I have in the Tuscon area, it never was particularly friendly to this administration. Now though? If ever Arizona was a landslide vote in a general election, I'd say this will be the one. We'll see in a few months, but even this won't be enough to see Arizonan's get over the treatment Washington had shown the whole state for the last few years.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by braindeadconservatives

I really think it is bad politics to go after things that women respect in mass.
really bad...

How do we know that the majority of women in Arizona are against this new legislation ?
That law does NOT outlaw abortion does it ?
It just makes YOU pay for YOUR own "decisions". Surprise Surprise.

Arizona is the most targeted State by the Obama Administration.

What do you think is the main reason for That ?

Remember too that Janet Napolitano is from Arizona and was Governor.
(I wonder how many votes She got from illegal "citizens" and vote stealing ?)

Ultra left Wing Liberals have a bad habit of showing extreme rage and jealousy.
It is a trait of theirs. They are experts at arm waving and shouting.

They can't stand it when they don't get their ways of Marxism instilled.

They hate being stood up to by normal people who are individualistic.

They Hate it

They Hate it

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I saw a quote awhile back that summed up this whole thing quite nicely for me :

"thank you for cutting off funding to cancer screening programs to prove that you are pro life."

Planned parenthood provides important services to low income women and it's a shame that they have lost their funding in Arizona. Jan Brewer is hurting a lot of women with this, not herself of course.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by braindeadconservatives

really bad...

How do we know that the majority of women in Arizona are against this new legislation ?
That law does NOT outlaw abortion does it ?
It just makes YOU pay for YOUR own "decisions". Surprise Surprise.

Arizona is the most targeted State by the Obama Administration.

What do you think is the main reason for That ?

Remember too that Janet Napolitano is from Arizona and was Governor.
(I wonder how many votes She got from illegal "citizens" and vote stealing ?)

Ultra left Wing Liberals have a bad habit of showing extreme rage and jealousy.
It is a trait of theirs. They are experts at arm waving and shouting.

They can't stand it when they don't get their ways of Marxism instilled.

They hate being stood up to by normal people who are individualistic.

They Hate it

They Hate it

But you guys are not individualistic at all, you guys are clones of one another.
Notice how all of you say the same things and make the same points?

Notice how there is only one of me here?

Planned Parenthood does a lot more than just abortion, while you guys are too
high on your FOX news opiates to examine that women in mass support the
place which provides all kinds of beneficial services to women.

You guys run a real risk of buying too much into your own bologna and that means
you are not gonna know when you went too far, or when your arguments are not
really sound or believable.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

But you guys are not individualistic at all, you guys are clones of one another.

Sounds like the usual "blame somebody else for your own problems" game !

Some facts to back that up would help the liberals understand their own arguments.

Liberals seem to band together when nobody can come up with a solution to a problem.

Individuals make their own decisions thank you very much.

Liberals, especially the ultra fanatics are trapped in their own snares.

And, can anyone show how PP can no longer provide all their services ?

What parts of that new law actually stop the services.

We already know the law stops most of the Corruption.

I thought PP had enough Liberal backers to help the cause ?

Where are all the supporters now ?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Sounds like the usual "blame somebody else for your own problems" game !

That is a game you guys know very well isn't it?

Do you see a whole mass of people high five-ing me constantly? NO
Because Liberals are a fractured group who don't know how to hold a united front.
That is why conservatives win, you guys have litmus testing which ensures group think.
RINO concept is a great example, you put everyone down if they do not adhere to what
the establishment deems as conservative. But if you notice, there are no real conservatives,
every single one is a RINO - Even Ronald Reagan.

Some facts to back that up would help the liberals understand their own arguments.

Liberals seem to band together when nobody can come up with a solution to a problem.

Individuals make their own decisions thank you very much.

Liberals, especially the ultra fanatics are trapped in their own snares.

Liberals act when conservatives look away - The only reason FDR's policies came into
being is because Hoover did not act or address the crushing starvation and poverty that
he could have helped with some sort of action. Or the terrible situation with healthcare in
America is just another example - look away while people were bankrupted or simply went
without medical treatment. Or civil rights, the conservative south was unwilling to address
segregation and fought bitterly against progressive policies to end Jim Crow.

And, can anyone show how PP can no longer provide all their services ?

What parts of that new law actually stop the services.

We already know the law stops most of the Corruption.

I thought PP had enough Liberal backers to help the cause ?

Where are all the supporters now ?

I support PP, I gave them a sizable donation recently just because I know you guys are after them,
it felt great, in fact I am going to donate more now.

And the point about going after planned parenthood is matter of perception, that is why it
is such a big miscalculation. Women will now assume the a massive conservative swing
in politics will end abortion and things like public education, simply because conservatives
are GOING THERE now.

top topics

join