It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish farm kids remarkably immune to allergies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by juleol

Again, as has already been shown-They do vaccinate. You guys are either just lazy or blinded by your hate of shots. I don't care if you don't like them, they can't be the factor if the Amish use them.

I think it it not a question of weather or not they vaccinate but rather how much compared to everyone else. Clearly their rates of vaccination are lower than the norm Here is an interesting article about it.
There have been some very good responses to this thread that make me lean a little towards other causes like raw milk, high rates of natural breast feeding, less exposure to modern chemicals, early exposure to outdoor allergens. I do however remain convinced that the lower vaccination rate is helping them. One thing to note is that over the years there have been court ordered or forced vaccinations and even just the threat of forced vaccination. In talking to some of the Amish people I know, they falsely report that their kids have been vaccinated, even get sympathetic doctors to sign off on it, just to avoid the possible controversy. This would skew the statistics. I do not know very many Amish people but of those I do, the vaccination rate is small to zero. I have also known people who never got vaccinated but had allergies so vaccines are not the only part of the story here. Clearly though, we have some things to learn from the Amish.
edit on 5-5-2012 by RedPill because: spelling

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It is the food!
Not even funny how much we could change things if we just ate the right things.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
When the world goes to pot, the Amish will inherit the Earth.

I'm not religious or anything, but those Amish folks show the way for a better future. I sincerely hope that the Amish communities don't modernise too much over time as even within their faith there is a wide range of different 'adherence' levels.

I remember reading a report years ago that suggested that children from deprived countries suffered less allergies even if they had a higher childhood disease and mortality rate. All the crap we get in processed foods has an effect on our body, hell, remember the hoo-hah over blue food colouring that made some kids blow up like a puffer fish. I know that is for real, I've seen it happen.

That was 'just' a food colourant... Big allergic reaction. What else is the crap doing?

There is no truer axiom than 'you are what you eat'... ergo, literally speaking, "eat sh*t and die..."

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

I also never had allergies until my early twenties. Even still, i dont have them every summer and sometimes only for a monthorso. I have also developed what i can only call allergy asthma. It most typically hits me at night or in theearly morning. I resorted to trying to get an inhaler it was so disruptive but i felt like an idiot trying to convince the doctor i had this problem but am not an asthmatic. Its hard to get to a doctor at two in the morning for them to see the symptoms.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by RedPill

All I have is this, take it for what it's worth. I never in my life had allergies until I was 22 years old and a doctor gave me Allegra samples and said to take them for 3 days. I did, and now I am stuffy and clogged every single day if I don't take an allergy pill. It's been 8 years. Wonder how I just "developed" allergies suddenly after 22 allergy free years.

Why did you take Allegra samples if you didn't have allergies in the first place?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
the amish get drs to sign off on the vac when their children didn't get them...do you think parents in the general public have done this? talk about skewering studies!!!!

how big was this amish group they looked at, they would need to look a a bunch of them, need a large sample.

I think it is a combination of things. too sterile an environment, no pets early in life. eating a lot of crap food, well your body can't work nearly as well as it should.

I am allergic to mold, and I get cough induced asthma. mr research has spring pollen and mustard plants. I breast fed my children, one has 2 small allergies and the other one won the allergy lotto, allergic to almost everything (cat dog rodent, corn, grass, weed and 25 different tree pollins , mold, tea tree oil. the only good thing, nothing that would cause anaphalactic shock.

how do 2 children raised the same have such a difference in allergies??? those of you without allergies...be glad!!!

edit on 5-5-2012 by research100 because: correct spelling

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

Before we start slamming vaccinations, it makes sense that being exposed to nature, animals with out hormones or antibiotics, exercise and good clean water? Does to me. The two most important developments in the history of reducing human disease are; separating sewage from drinking water (basic sanitation) and vaccines. Its heart breaking and makes me angry when a child gets polio, and other diseases because "didn't we cure that"? No, its still in the environment as are the other things one can get if not vaccinated.

If people have a religious aversion to ANY medical care, thats their right. And their kids are free to follow that philosophy... If they live long enough.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

My better half is from the Amish reaches of Ohio. I can tell you that... most kids in this modern world would not make it through a single day on an Amish homestead. Not one full day... because there is no TV or video games. They spend a great deal of their time working, especially on larger family farms. Then there are chores at home and then, home work.

Happy Cinco de Mayo

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is no surprise. I used to get real bad hayfever and tablets for it only made it twice as bad when I then didn't have them. Since I've been eating locally produced honey made front just down the road I am totally immune to pollen and all hayfever as if after a few weeks someone just switched it off. My housemate told me to do it and I didn't believe that it would work. I owe him a few beers now though!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Ha sounds like I ha the best of both world. I got to live in a nice house with wildlife and fields everywhere, but as we were 'townies' as the farmers called us we had the mindset of 'cty folks'. So I got to play computer games and guitar all I wanted. My only chore was to cut the fields with the ride on lawnmower which I loved as well!!! Also no religion shoved down my throat. I still have a hard work ethic as well and have always been really fit.

I think the hard work is good, but it can go to the extreme, Kids should still be able to have fun as well and experience what's out in the world. Seems like those communities make decisions for their children so that when they are older they have already been raised in a way that stops them from deciding for themselves what they really want.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Seems like those communities make decisions for their children so that when they are older they have already been raised in a way that stops them from deciding for themselves what they really want.

No... they raise them in such as way as to do their best so that those decisions are the right ones and you (or anyone else) doesn't end up as an inmate number in some state prison... or dead in a gutter.

The Amish lifestyle is really quite unique and hearkens to a simpler time. In fact, our nation... our species made it here to the 21st century by passing through this kind of environment. If your parents, grandparents and all your greats survived to eventually spin you off the DNA string... it's because it worked.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedPill

ca.news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Amish children raised on rural farms in northern Indiana suffer from asthma and allergies less often even than Swiss farm kids, a group known to be relatively free from allergies, according to a new study.

"The rates are very, very low," said Dr. Mark Holbreich, the study's lead author. "So there's something that we feel is even more protective in the Amish" than in European farming communities.

What it is about growing up on farms -- and Amish farms in particular -- that seems to prevent allergies remains unclear.
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is because they aren't eating the same poison our government's FDA and USDA amoung other branches forces us to eat in our food. They eat holistic food they grow themselves rather than trust people who will put God alone knows what in the garbage (and i really do mean we eat garbage in every sense of the word). Nor do they allow the government to force them to take nasty vaccines with all kinds of poisonous efluents in it like mercury and thimerisol.

Inactive ingredients, or excipients, support the active ingredients in vaccines and increase ease of use. These ingredients do not offer protection against the influenza virus. According to the FDA, the inactive ingredients in the flu vaccine are egg protein, formaldehyde, sodium deoxycholate and thimerosal. Two of these inactive ingredients have been suspected of causing adverse reactions.

The American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology states that 1.6 percent of children have an allergy to egg protein and therefore might not be able to receive the vaccine---ask your doctor about other vaccination options. Thimerosal is an organic mercury-containing compound that is believed by some to cause autism in children who receive vaccines. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, however, reports that several studies have shown that there is no relationship between thimerosal and autism.

Alert your doctor before taking this vaccine if you are allergic to these ingredients.

source

Hah, hell no i will not take this junk. The diseases these things cause, like Autism and Guillian-Barre syndrome are worse than suffering with a few days of the flu. Everytime you take a vaccine you change your DNA. If people would stop and look at the side effects as opposed to the consequences of not taking the vaccine they'd tell Big Pharma to f**k off.

This isn't the first time in human history people were tinkering with the human genome. The last time this happened was to the antediluvians and humans were nearly wiped out by the genetic monsters created, like the Nephilim.

edit on 5-5-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Out of all Christian groups, the Amish are the ones I respect the most. The really do 'live' their philosophy. This is an idiotic idea, but if I were looking to setup a survival retreat for life after the big cahooley (you know what I'm talking about) I know that it has to be run on Amish lines.

The religious aspect is one thing, but, I respect them for that aswell. I've never heard of an Amish blowing up a building in the name of God.

With all sincerity, I think their communities are great and we *all* have a lot to learn from them, from the Pontiff in Rome to the folks on the street buying their processed food from the supermart.

God Bless them, I say. I look at their community and wish I could have a life like that, even with the issues that I know they do have - nothing is perfect!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Man the Amish get everything....They get to churn butter, ride in cool horse drawn buggies, and now they are immune to allergies...sheesh what's next?? I mean they are already world class bowlers!!!

edit on 5-5-2012 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedPill

So what is so different about these kids that makes them have 'normal' rates of allergies. While the rest of the world has an ever increasing and very 'abnormal' allergy rate? This article did not mention the reason exactly but it seems to be glaringly obvious. Amish kids don't get vaccinated.

Total BS. The reason why they have normal rates of allergies is because they have not been wrapped in cotton wool by over protective western paranoid parents.

All studies into this aspect, including disease resistance, shows that we "civilised westerners" have become so paranoid that we prevent our kids from coming into contact with the very thing that stimulates the immune system : the environment.

Ironically enough vaccines imitate exposure to disease but without the danger of full blown infection. But try to tell the paranoid anti-vaccine conspirators this and they howl in ignorant protest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I just personally think that they should show their kids what else is out there in the big wide world instead of trying to raise them to not know anything else. I can respect their way of life and I understand to ideas behind it, but I just don't like the idea that their kids seem to be raised blind to the wider world. Apologies if I am getting things wrong, but a recent documentary I watched about them made it seem like this. Also men were allowed to leave and explore the 'outside world' at 18 and were sort of given the choice of following a normal life or returning to the amish one where girls have no such luxury which I thought seemed like it was in place to control the girls and stop some from leaving while allowing a small amount of men to leave. This part actually really didn't sit right with me at all if I'm honest. Also the men who decided to leave normal lives did so at the cost of their family life, Seems to me that the Christian thing to do would be to say fair enough that's your choice, but still let them be part of the family when they come and visit,. But no they shun them so that others arn't tempted away. Gets a bit weird imo.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
reply to post by redoubt

I just personally think that they should show their kids what else is out there in the big wide world instead of trying to raise them to not know anything else. I can respect their way of life and I understand to ideas behind it, but I just don't like the idea that their kids seem to be raised blind to the wider world. Apologies if I am getting things wrong, but a recent documentary I watched about them made it seem like this. Also men were allowed to leave and explore the 'outside world' at 18 and were sort of given the choice of following a normal life or returning to the amish one where girls have no such luxury which I thought seemed like it was in place to control the girls and stop some from leaving while allowing a small amount of men to leave. This part actually really didn't sit right with me at all if I'm honest. Also the men who decided to leave normal lives did so at the cost of their family life, Seems to me that the Christian thing to do would be to say fair enough that's your choice, but still let them be part of the family when they come and visit,. But no they shun them so that others arn't tempted away. Gets a bit weird imo.

It all depends on the sect. The "tribe" if you will. Look at the Native Americans for example. They have different tribes all over that do things a bit differently from each other. Same with the Amish. They're all under the same religious umbrella but some are more lax than others. The Old World Amish for example are hard core about it. All the way down to what you wear and the fact that they won't even allow gas generators to help with the farming operations. It's ALL manual. The sect my mom grew up in wasn't so harsh. She wasn't Mennonite, which is REALLY lax, but she wasn't Old World either They even let her and 2 of her female friends travel the country in the 40's. This sect is in northern Indiana by the way.

She left that community when she was 20 but I remember her taking us out there once a month when we were kids so she could visit her sister. She may have been shunned for leaving that way of life, but she could still see her sister with kids that weren't Amish. Funny thing is, me my brothers and our cousins used to have a blast together out there. Just kids on the same level having fun, you know?. Even about 10 years ago as an adult I went out there to visit.....they welcomed me with open arms. I wasn't Amish but I was still family. I could go back today if I wanted to.

As far as the allergies go though, Vegas odds are on the genes with this one. I've got the genes in me and I very rarely get sick.If I do it's because of bad meat and it passes through in a day. I grew up in this society and have been exposed to all the "evils" this society has to offer. Doesn't matter. Don't get sick and I'm not allergic to anything but alcohol.( Thanks Dad.....you polluted the gene pool
)

I don't take much stock in studies like that anyway, they're usually flawed or paid for by big Pharma......or both.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

In addition to not being vaccinated they are introduced to allergens at young ages and their bodies are forced to fight it off naturally.

They don't run to the medicine cabinet for benedryl if a kid has one hive.

I can stop reading right there.
I agree 100%

I do not have allergies, and do not run to the medicine cabinet everytime I sneeze.

I do wonder however, if they've been tested for gut worms. I saw a special, I don't know where, I forget now, some medical show on TLC or something - - - about how organizations were going over seas to help rid the less fortunate of gut worms. After they were treated and gotten rid of, they suddenly had a higher incidence of asthma and allergies, and some speculated a relationship.

Apparently, some people even opt to get gut worms to correct IBS type issues. And if I remember correctly, American's were prone to gut worms until well into the 20th century. I tried to google a source but I failed so you'll have to take my word for it (I wouldn't do that)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I wonder if fear is an allergen - so many children are mollycoddled by their parents these days as parental fear levels increase. They must protect their children at all costs and not expose them to any perceived risks as defined by society/the media.

Perhaps Amish parents are more trusting and laid-back.

They say that dogs pick up the traits of their dog-owners and behave in a similar manner.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This could possibly be related too the breeding.

People with defects or unhealthy genes (possibly) are permitted to reproduce. Unhealthy Genes are more dominate than healthy genes. So eventually , the human race will die out due to failing genetics unless Gene manipulation is introduced to main stream health facilities.

So the new normal is constantly changing with the more people who can survive genetic diseases or problems that would have other wise been 'naturally selected' or killed off through nature.

Such as the failing eye sight of the population. Eye sight is becoming more and more poor because the people with bad eye sight (in genetics) are passing it along to off spring. So this stands as an example of bad genetics infilitrating our species.
edit on 5-5-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join