It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish farm kids remarkably immune to allergies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I have a theory that it's not that they don't get allergies, it's that they are not snivelling wimps running to the doctor over something minor like pollen allergies. There are a lot of wimpy people these days, no doubt about it. Whining about colds and allergies and such.... Try having migraines all the time, see how bad those seem then. Try living with a bad tooth for a year, that really sucks. Finally getting that bitch pulled in a few days hurray! Sacrifices are a bitch, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do right?

I have seen city folks crying over a tiny cut, I have seen a man shoot a nail through his hand it 10AM, duct tape a bandage on his hand and work till quitting time. Now that is tough

edit on Sat, 05 May 2012 04:20:00 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
immune to allergies is a paradox

allergies is the immune response to substances (ie, pollen, germ metabolite, proteins)

the more dirt and pollen and organic we grow up, the more our body is less prone to overreact with allergies/histamines.

the more sterile/pampered kids are raised, the more sensitive and reactive they will be, to most everything.

nature vs nurture

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Well, from my understanding of the Amish, they basically live with out any modern luxury. No vaccines, no GMO, no fluoride in tooth paste or water(or any of the other crap we love to pump it full of.) No multi-vitamins, hot pockets, or mcdonalds. They do everything by hand, from scratch. So really, if we all started and lived our lives the same way, I'm sure we would find many benefits. I'd love to know how many cavities they get, head-aches, birth defects, a long list really. As far as I know the Amish do just fine with out all the things " We need." Remarkable isn't it? I've failed to hear of any of our daily problems coming from the amish, but then again has any one heard from them at all LOL. It could simply be a matter of the way they are raised. There was a time, oh some 40 years ago the human baby syndrome wasn't so wide spread across north america. A man was a man. Hairy, smelly, and he would damn near sever a limb before he'd go to the doctor, and that man didn't concern himself with tears, or the bull # today boasts as manly. I got one thing to say, about the North American male, that boy ain't right. Allergies are bull#, people need to stop sheltering their children so much. The things you and your children experience in their lives will effect their offspring, and their offspring's offspring. Think of this the next time you turn on the tap, or grab a pizza pop, or worse hit the drive through. We all need to learn to take care of ourselves again. Boiling water from a natural source for an extended period of time is far better for you than any chemically treated beverage. Trouble being, where can you find fresh water that isn't polluted these days?

The Amish, are tough hard living people and they are tough for that very reason. The way we treat our bodies, will change it in a remarkable way. If you don't believe it, try it. I hate when I see threads filled with posts trying to oppose crap when no one is willing to try. I mean obviously, we aren't about to go jump off a cliff because someone said we can fly if we just try really hard, but any time a MAN changes something NATURAL for the claim it will be better, why do we trust it? The natural has worked well for the entire existence of life on our planet. It's stood the test of time, Generations of life much healthier than we are today. For you religious quacks, you've got one thing right. It's the way " God " Intended it. It's the way, nature intended it. Stop messing with nature, and she will be good to you. You just need to shed this mislead ideal that man is all superior. If you take away all our technology, we're near the very bottom of the food chain. There are many things much bigger that will happily eat us, and we are damn near dead in any environment cooler than 15degrees celsius(this may be more may be less for some people.) with out any of our tools or luxuries. Think about it!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
its probably due to a higher mortality rate among amish communities, the weak die and disease has less chance to proliferate and be inherited.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The evident immunities built up by the Armish way of life, are proof of a thought I have long had regarding allergies. As a child I had asthma, and not the sort that buggers off after adolesence. My doctor told me that the chances were that I would be taking inhalers for the rest of my life. My asthma was allergy related, mostly pertaining to grass pollen. Also, house dust, and damp weather were an issue. However, the inhalers made me feel like utter rot.

I quit taking them when I was fifteen. Immediately I started to feel a little better, but was still unable to go out when the pollen count was too high, without getting a very runny nose, puffy eyes, and tight chest. This continued until I was eighteen, when I began to smoke. The constant exposure to burnt tobacco (which is part of the family of plants which covers grasses) increased my immune response to grass material getting into my lungs. As a result I was able to get out more, and after a year I was able to run, walk, jump, shout, in all weathers, all temperatures, breathe dust and not worry about an attack. I am twenty seven years old now, and I have had no attacks, and no allergic reactions of any kind. I even get less colds and infections nowadays.

I think the key thing is that if one is exposed by degrees, or in a different format, to something to which they might develop an allergy, they often become less prone to falling ill from those stimuli.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
No mystery here. The amish drink raw milk and they don't use chemicals on their fields. So their food isn't contaminated by the chemicals used on the factory farms. Those chemicals are the primary problem. If you are sensitive to the chemicals used in farming, you will exibit symptoms similar to an allergic reaction. Of coarse you could be allergic to the chemicals as well. Washing vegetables only removes what is on the surface. What about the chemicals which wash off when it rains. They get taken up by the plant when they wash into the soil. They are not immune to allergies they just don't have the exposure that the rest of us have to the farm chemicals.

On the other hand they tend to marry within their communities and have one of the highest birth defect rates in the country. By not marrying outside their communities, they keep the gene pool small and marriage within a family is common. I don't mean brothers and sisters but it is not uncommon for first cousins to marry.
edit on 5/5/2012 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
One word sums it up: lifestyle

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by RedPill

All I have is this, take it for what it's worth. I never in my life had allergies until I was 22 years old and a doctor gave me Allegra samples and said to take them for 3 days. I did, and now I am stuffy and clogged every single day if I don't take an allergy pill. It's been 8 years. Wonder how I just "developed" allergies suddenly after 22 allergy free years.
Doctors are no different that the crack a dealer that gets you hooked of their drugs for continuous sale. I blame GMO foods on your allergies

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

The answer is simple.. It is the vaccines that increases the chances of developing allergies.
There is one study on the BCG vaccine that has found that if you take it during pollen season, then you are more likely to have allergies compared to someone in same region that had it during winter season.

And this all makes sense when you realize how vaccines/adjuvants stimulate the immune system. The explosion in auto immune disorders makes sense as well.
And if you look at which countries has most of these issues, then you will see that USA tops those stats.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
chollestrum in breast milk would be my guess

do they have a high %age of mothers who nurse ?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jagermeister
It might have something to do with the 200 ish shots people give a new born. No this is probably because they have beards so it protects them. Couldn't possibly be the vaccines. Never.

What is funny is that the same people who are skeptical about this, often also rant about how bad and corrupted big pharma is. But for some reason they ignore the fact that big pharma is the big pushers of vaccines as well and fund and set the rules for the studies.
I read plenty of studies myself and what I found is scary as hell. The studies that "shows" they are safe are all manipulated by the vaccine companies as they set the rules.
With gardasil study they even injected the PLACEBO GROUP with adjuvants full of mercury, squalene and probably aluminum compounds. They also dismissed a bunch of nasty side effects and either blamed it on something else or ignored it because it happened after the study ended"only few weeks".

There has never ever been a long term study to see how it affects your health further down the line and no studies comparing non vaccinated group with vaccinated.
There is no way anyone can say that vaccines has been proven safe and effective. The industry is completely corrupted and all about profit these days.

And by the way.. My grandmother developed asthma just a month or so after she finally gave in to a flu vaccine.
She had never had any issues with flu or anything, but after pressure from doctor she finally gave in. She both got a nasty flu and then asthma.
Then you have my grandfather who pretty much stayed away from health care including vaccines for most if not all of his life. He never ever had the flu, never ever had a sick day and very rarely got a cold.

edit on 5-5-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by RedPill

All I have is this, take it for what it's worth. I never in my life had allergies until I was 22 years old and a doctor gave me Allegra samples and said to take them for 3 days. I did, and now I am stuffy and clogged every single day if I don't take an allergy pill. It's been 8 years. Wonder how I just "developed" allergies suddenly after 22 allergy free years.
Doctors are no different that the crack a dealer that gets you hooked of their drugs for continuous sale. I blame GMO foods on your allergies

Funny how GMO foods has been banned here in Norway then, but yet people keep getting allergies.
Same thing with people who live in middle of nowhere and farm their own food.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Again, as has already been shown-They do vaccinate. You guys are either just lazy or blinded by your hate of shots. I don't care if you don't like them, they can't be the factor if the Amish use them.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

and the answer is ... *drumroll* UNTAINTED, REAL FOODS !!!!!! no added poison !! and no added stress due to sh*tty jobs and current "new age" lifestyles.

i . hate. city's.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

I dunno about the Amish. Don't much want to , as with the lifestyle comes a thought process foreign to my personal beliefs, but I don't see them as reliant on English science in order to live their life. THey may be required at times to become involved, but I just don't see them as entrenched in the murky waters of progress as we are, that they succumb to the plethora of ills we do.

It depends on the sect. They all have different beliefs. The Amish around here will use technology for work and they will go to the doctor. I have seen them at the pharmacy too. It's actually a misnomer to say "The Amish don't have allergies" unless they have surveyed all the various groups around the U.S. and Europe. If it's only particular group they surveyed it's more accurate to say "Amish in this section of the world don't have allergies". It's most likely the study does say that, but the article's author and the OP are just being a little lazy.

- Amish children raised on rural farms in northern Indiana suffer from asthma and allergies less often even than Swiss farm kids, a group known to be relatively free from allergies, according to a new study.

Yep, just as I thought-Only one group. That's not good enough at all.
edit on 5-5-2012 by antonia because: added something

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by juleol

Again, as has already been shown-They do vaccinate. You guys are either just lazy or blinded by your hate of shots. I don't care if you don't like them, they can't be the factor if the Amish use them.

The amount the vaccines the average Amish get is way below the average US citizen.
And like I said, I have read the studies MYSELF which you clearly have not. Or else you would know what i was talking about. Do you also defend how they injected PLACEBO GROUP with HEAVY METALS?? You cannot get any safety data from such biased pharmacy funded studies.

And I never said that you will for sure develop allergies from taking a vaccine, but that there seems to be a link between how many vaccines you take, when you take them and the chances of developing allergies.

Edit: Even one of the researchers behind gardasil spoke out about safety issues and lack of studies: offtheradar.co.nz...
But I guess she is full of it as well....

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

The amount the vaccines the average Amish get is way below the average US citizen.
And like I said, I have read the studies MYSELF which you clearly have not. Or else you would know what i was talking about. Do you also defend how they injected PLACEBO GROUP with HEAVY METALS?? You cannot get any safety data from such biased pharmacy funded studies.

I am not here defending vaccines. I am telling you the Amish do vaccinate. It's two different things. Stop spreading false information

edit on 5-5-2012 by antonia because: ?

edit on 5-5-2012 by antonia because: My text is coming out tiny, not sure what is happening here.

edit on 5-5-2012 by antonia because: argh

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

I am not here defending vaccines. I am telling you the Amish do vaccinate. It's two different things. Stop spreading false information

edit on 5-5-2012 by antonia because: My text is coming out tiny, not sure what is happening here.

edit on 5-5-2012 by antonia because: argh

Like I said.. They get WAY LESS vaccines than average citizen. It is you who are spreading false information now.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

How am I doing that? I simply said the Amish vaccinate. I never stated the amount of vaccinations they get or the type. You are the one that originally said they don't get any. Now you are back pedaling because I told you that you are wrong. Do you want me to quote you? I don't care if you don't like vaccines, that's not a hatchet I'm looking to bury. I'm not even here defending them. The point here is they do take shots. If they take shots then it is unlikely to be the shots that cause allergies. Occam's Razor.
edit on 5-5-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

reply to post by juleol

How am I doing that? I simply said the Amish vaccinate. I never stated the amount of vaccinations they get or the type. You are the one that originally said they don't get any. Now you are back pedaling because I told you that you are wrong. Do you want me to quote you? I don't care if you don't like vaccines, that's not a hatchet I'm looking to bury. I'm not even here defending them. The point here is they do take shots. If they take shots then it is unlikely to be the shots that cause allergies. Occam's Razor.
edit on 5-5-2012 by antonia because: opps

Where did I say this?? Stop putting words into my mouth. I just said that vaccines are the reason. I never stated that Amish never take vaccines.
But they are as close to unvaccinated as they come when it comes to USA.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join