It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you are in a large city how would you survive an EMP Strike?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I've heard alot of ways of surviving an EMP strike but that mostly on a rural environment. But what happens if you are in a large city like LA for example? I mean what do we do if we are caught in the Middle? Is there anyway to get out? What are the safest ways to get out? How we survive the intial after math of the EMP?

Remember due to their area and large population a city would be a total warzone

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
If I may ask, what are you foreseeing the effects of an EMP blast to be exactly? As I understand a nuclear EMP blast, all it's going to do from the direct perspective of you and I is dump the whole power grid, including battery operated electronics. We've been through power failures before though, so I wouldn't worry....

It'll be a day or two into it that people would start to realize and accept that utility crews weren't bringing the power back in a day or week or even a month. Then..I'd say it starts getting real wild, but anyone who didn't leave while everyone was still in shock and looking stupid probably deserves what they get when the shock wears off and the riots begin....

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

I've heard alot of ways of surviving an EMP strike but that mostly on a rural environment. But what happens if you are in a large city like LA for example? I mean what do we do if we are caught in the Middle? Is there anyway to get out? What are the safest ways to get out? How we survive the intial after math of the EMP?

LOL EMP means "electromagnetic pulse" and it hurts computers and electrical equipment what your thinking of is a nuke going off which does send out an emp as well but in addition with radiation and blast radius

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
By getting out as fast as you can. A large city during an event such as an EMP is going to be chaotic real fast. Foods is off the store shelves within the day. Prescription medications will last a month at the most. How many crazies without their meds do you want to deal with? Drug addicts will eventually run out also.

If this happens and you are in a major city...get out.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

What are the safest routes to get out? I heard it could be the sewers

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well, your car won't work.

Time to bike or hike out.

Pack up some gear.

Take what food and water you have.

Take a gun or five.

or

Hunker down and protect your house or apartment.

People are violent when these things happen. It becomes dog eat dog quickly.

The national guard may set some order but not total order.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I could do without electricity at least for a time. If I thought I could get out of the city before # got too hairy I would do so. I have bicycles. If I couldn't though I would defend my home until I thought it was safe enough to leave the city.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Nah, why the sewers? When people are preoccupied with what's going on you need to be moving. First of all do you have a place to go?
How long will it take you to get there on foot (bike)?
Will there be the ability to procure food there?
Do you have enough food you could take until you could start to grow or raise more?

edit on 4-5-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Have an extended family up North in a rural area. I'm planning on going there but my concern is it's too far I live in Los Angeles and they live a hundred miles near San Franisco. But plan b is to flee to Mexico

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Sewers are..to my thinking..a fine way to die before even getting a chance at surviving. Major cities already have some of the more dangerous and unstable human element in those areas and they're downright hazardous for outsiders on the best day. After things go to hell? Those chronic street people will be the very first to realize and understand what has happened. I wouldn't want to be in a closed space with no escape and someone else's home turf advantage. That's the sewer...

(Assuming, the EMP doesn't blow out water control systems and such to cause flooding... Being in the sewer already would be one hell of a way to discover that development.
)

Now I'd say it depends radically on what city your in. I'd leave L.A. very differently than I would Frisco and Chicago would be just as different again. I'd say the only real important thing is progress though. Progress by foot, bike or whatever...but progress outward. Even walking can cover far more distance after hours of it than I think most people think.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

But plan b is to flee to Mexico

the 1st thing Mexico
is gonna do

is throw up a wall to keep us out

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Don't worry I know a guy here that could help me he is a dual US/Mexican Citizen

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

There is a lot of land no one occupies. Find an area with a good water source maybe a fresh water spring. A place where you can domesticate animals and farm because in an event of an EMP it won't be back up within a few weeks. Several months at best and some predict more than a year.

If it really interests you I suggest reading "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. An eye opener of the chaos that will happen after an EMP strike.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I have read that book Really good btw. However what's nagging is a Chinese invasion in the end

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Yea the ending wasn't happy but it's realistic. I can't even imagine the countries that would try and invade American soil. China would quite possibly be one but most likely one of several.

Unfortunately that's what we do as humans Kill and claim the land.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

EMP is nothing compared to doom....A super nova blast would be instantly frying poor planet...back to topic.
Safe haven with protection all around

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

What about Fiefdoms I mean when SHTF I'm sure I have to avoid fiefdoms similar to video game Fall Out 3

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
bottom line
is get out of the city
anyway you can ...

then look for a spot
post up for a while

water & growing climate a +

as for the Chinese invasion
I'm think'n Lo mein & egg rolls
with a little duck sauce mixed with spicy mustard

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

An EMP itself is harmless its just electro magnetic waves however it can induce current into anything thats a conductor and therefor fry most electrical apps... What is dangerous is the following days after the EMP... Once the EMP strike you have about 3 hours before mass craziness start... Cops won't be able to do anything they'll be outnumbered, outmatched and on foot...

When thugs realize this they will run the streets and it'll be carnage... You have from the EMP time to the time they figure that cops are gone to leave the city... If your already too late you could try subways and to make it underground out of the city or close to the borders.

Most people will be busy pillaging stores and # so you won't be noticed...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

First of all...if you are talking about a Nuclear Blast high above a city...it would create an emp that would basically burn out all electronic equipment. Even things like a car would not start. If the Blast was a thousand feet above the city as Thermonuclear Warheads are designed to Air Detonate for greater effect than detonation at ground level...you would not be around to care about any EMP damage as you would be vaporized.

The U.S. has developed Non-Nuclear EMP devices and these will be used in any major confrontation in the future as they can render an Army useless. As far as surviving or dealing with the after effects of an EMP...you would have to rebuild much of the electrical grid and replace all electronics.

EMP Shielding is possible but impracticle. The U.S. now has a very good ABM system and will soon have a fullt integrated Direct Energy Weapon system known as the Free Electron Laser. The possibility of a sucessful missle attack against U.S. Defences is remote unless the missle launch is massive. Once the FEL system is fully integrated...no number of ICBM's will be an issue for the U.S. Split Infinity

top topics

<<   2 >>

join