It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First-Grader Suspended for Singing 'I'm Sexy and I Know It'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

First-Grader Suspended for Singing 'I'm Sexy and I Know It'

abcnews.go.com

A Colorado elementary school student was suspended from school this week for singing a lyric from a popular LMFAO song, “I’m sexy and I know it.”

Those six little words from the Los Angeles rap-influenced duo earned first-grader D’Avonte Meadows a three day dismissal from Sable Elementary in Aurora, Colo.

“I only just said the song,” Meadows told Denver’s ABC7 News. “I’m sexy and I know it.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Ok I have to ask what in the hell has happened to our country. I remember recently another member posting something about her son being suspended for pulling up a female classmates pants. But seriously, I just don't understand anymore what has happened to America.

Kids are kids. They don't have sexual urges or desires. A 1st grader is not thinking ooooh how can I get in this girls pants. Yet they are calling ti sexual harassment? I am seriously blown away by this and the actions taken by the school system.

I am literally shamed that I live in America at this point. Enough is enough this political correctness BS has gone far enough. People need to start living their lives and stop trying to live everyone else.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
As much as I agree with you that this has gone a bit too far, 1st graders should not be exposed to music such as LMFAO. Disney songs maybe, but definitely not music of the sexual nature.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Quyll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Quyll

I agree with that, but I am willing to bet that this little tidbit came from

www.youtube.com...

embedding isn't working there is the link

Not from listening to the band.
edit on 5/4/2012 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quyll
As much as I agree with you that this has gone a bit too far, 1st graders should not be exposed to music such as LMFAO. Disney songs maybe, but definitely not music of the sexual nature.

Yes but that is not the kids fault it's the parents. So should the kid be punished for singing a song his parents listen to around him?

I suppose he could have heard it on the m&m commercial. But there's nothing to be done about that then, he still shouldn't be punished for it.
edit on 4-5-2012 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

From the article:

Last month, she said, he was sent to the principal’s office for singing the same song to the same girl.

This time, however, he was “shaking his booty” near the girl’s face, Meadows told ABC7 News.

He acted out and was suspended for 3 days.

I will bet you a dollar he won't do it again!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Ok, I did see that part and I understand that it probably isn't the best thing to do,but he is all of what 7? Can you honestly say that you didn't ever do anything that could have been interpreted as being sexual when you were in elementary school? I remember going around pulling kids pants down as a joke. It wasn't omfg you sexually harassed that kid back then.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Whats the big deal? When I grew up I heard lyrics like "im too sexy for my shirt" and my friends and I would sing it on the playground.

I don't see the issue here. Kids say and do stupid things, what happened to letting them be kids?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

Oh, I totally understand that the child should not be punished for this. That is why I explained that it has gone a bit too far with the child punishments. I believe that it is the parents fault for exposing their children to this sexual music.

By doing this, the parents are placing the notion that it is ok for their 1st grader to sing these kinds of songs.

When I was in first grade, I was singing Hakuna Matata and reading Little Golden Books.

How times have changed.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
that child should be shot(to death , possibly by the parents). infront of the other children.
i am disgusted.

edit on 4-5-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

We did the same stuff.......but did not get caught!!

My friend jimmie tied a knot in a girls hair and WAS caught. He was suspended for three day AND he got an A$$ Whippin from his mom!

Ahhh the good old days!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Quyll

So what if the parents didn't "expose" him to it? This has been aired over and over since the Super Bowl, and since this is the only part he sang, he might not even know the song

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Quyll

I guess my big issue with all of this is that America seems to have lost the plot when it comes to proper parenting vs paranoia. Kids suspended for toy guns, songs, childish acts, drawing pictures, etc. Kids being throw off airplanes for having an image of a gun on their purse. Kids being suspended for T-Shirt slogans, hair color, clothing styles, and all sorts of BS.

As someone said earlier what happened to kids being kids. Part of the learning process is learning by doing stupid stuff. When I was a kid there wasn't even such a thing as suspension until 6th grade. K-5 was more about detention and scolding. Now we are suspending 1st graders? The kid probably doesn't even understand what he did wrong let alone what a suspension is other then not being in school for a few days.

Somewhere along the line parents stopped being parents and the government stepped in and started doing it for us. No matter how you see things that is not right.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Monsatan

Thanks I couldn't get the dang thing to embed.
2nd line

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Monsatan

If that's the case, then it's this day in ages fault. The brilliant people in charge are constantly exposing our children to sex...then this incident happens, and guess who gets blamed?

The child.

Airing this commercial on public television is telling our kids, hey, it's totally ok to sing this provocative song, regardless of the nature of its content.

I worry about this next generation and what kind of problems they will have to face because of this complete lack of sexual control.

We will have to wait to see if people smarten up and stop exposing our youngest generation this crap.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

My parents took me to see KISS and AC/DC when I was 7. YES, when I was 7, it was 1979. I will never forget it. It is actually one of my favorite memories as a child. One of the problems in society today is that children are raised too soft. They get their feelings hurt too easily, they get offended too easily. It is a song...and my 5 year old hears it on the radio all the time. WHY?? Because she has a 17 year old brother, and a mom that's not too stuffy to enjoy a good beat when she hears one. Some people just need to get over themselves

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quyll
reply to post by ucantcme

Oh, I totally understand that the child should not be punished for this. That is why I explained that it has gone a bit too far with the child punishments. I believe that it is the parents fault for exposing their children to this sexual music.

By doing this, the parents are placing the notion that it is ok for their 1st grader to sing these kinds of songs.

When I was in first grade, I was singing Hakuna Matata and reading Little Golden Books.

How times have changed.

Agreed. When I was a kid, probably like 3rd or 4th grade though, I remember the bus driver playing the radio and there were inappropriate songs played that we would sing. I had no idea what they meant back then and when I heard them again at an older age and actually understood what was being sung I was like what? I can't believe that those songs were played around us! This one I remember in particular but there were more

After listening to it again now I still can't believe it was allowed to be played around children lol wow

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Severely punishing every little thing tends to make for three types of kids:

1. the type that obey every little thing and are excellent sheep
2. the type that act like sheep, but are actually pathological liars and are acting up behind your back
3. the type that are openly and violently rebellious.

God help us all when these kids are older.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

You are absolutely right. If you are labeled as a trouble maker in the 1st grade, you are doomed. This poor child probably doesn't even know what "sexy" means. It really is a sad time to be a child, because they aren't allowed to be children.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I feel like a lot of parents have completely forgot about the fact that children should be a major priority in their lives.

Where I work, I see kids constantly getting ignored by their parents. Innocent kids getting drowned out by the words of the parents cell phone conversation or by the sounds of the parent texting. So, when a sexual commercial comes on that normally should be immediately turned off, it's left on because the parent either doesn't care, or isn't paying attention.

Kids are constantly exposed to things of the sexual nature on television, and I feel like a lot of parents really don't care as much as they used to a few generations ago. Then, situations like this happen, and parents are all upset by their kid getting suspended, and they take no blame whatsoever. The child is confused because he's used to hearing and seeing things like that on television, so he thinks it's ok.

So much of the population forgets how impressionable children can be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join