It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US should return stolen land to Indian tribes, says United Nations

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

You never said you were a Scott or that we were talking about Scottish history. You said we were talking about Britian. I'm not a mind reader. I do enjoy how you defend the throne that has stolen your nation's sovereignty. Bravo.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jagermeister
These people are immigrants themselves and are not even native to the land they demand. Stop being so gullible.

Technically nobody is native to any land except Africa, considering that the first humans descended from Ethiopia.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide

Originally posted by Xadaz
I like how this is in US politic madness.

And then every American poster seems to say that the UK should give "back" the Falklands to Argentina.

Brilliant.

this is liberalism at its finest... I shouldn't have even participated in this thread, but we all know natives of all continents are savages! one only needs to ask the Brits about that.

Britain has been trying to civilize the natives since before America was even a concept... I myself am anti-colonialist, America kicked the brits butts long ago, that's our story.

though the sun has set on their Empire which they thought never would...

God save the Queen!

America kicked the Brits Butts long ago? You mean The Colonists , The French The Dutch and Spanish combined. You did need some help

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
America kicked the brits butts long ago, that's our story.

Coincided with the day we decided we'd rather keep India.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

You never said you were a Scott or that we were talking about Scottish history. You said we were talking about Britian. I'm not a mind reader. I do enjoy how you defend the throne that has stolen your nation's sovereignty. Bravo.

You really are an ignorant fool arn't you? How can something have been "Stolen" when Britain was concieved by an Act of Union? You know...........something similar to what you have in the US

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The indians are a defeated nation of people. The British, French, Spanish....etc all attacked the indians. When the States became a nation....we followed suit. Right, wrong or indifferent this is exactly how ALL nations of the world got what they have.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

My government has been half evil for along time. What happened to the Native Peoples of North America was wrong and the US Government knows it. However, how damn far back does the world have to go to correct something that has been acknowledged and rectified within reason for it to be a mute point.

I hate the UN and NATO equally. Both are pathetic excuses for what they represent. Make no mistake though. This is just the power that be else where waging a smear campaign against US interests and government so it doesn't look like the Angel is professes to be while preaching to the rest of the world and not taking it's own advice.

IN sum total, I say to hell with the whole lot of them.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

You really are an ignorant fool arn't you? How can something have been "Stolen" when Britain was concieved by an Act of Union? You know...........something similar to what you have in the US

en.wikipedia.org...

Some would call the act of union treason. I guess I as an American have more pride in Scottland than actual Scotts do anymore. Sad, really. Although I am 1/4 English so I guess it's in my blood init?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
That's a lot of land for the 3 American Indians that still exist.

We still exist, and there are a lot more than just 3 of us.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
There was a war. The natives lost.

Then there was a purchasing agreement. The natives made a foolish decision.

Call me racist if you like, but why is the US Government supposed to return this land?

Have you ever sat down and studied the treaties that were made, and the ones that were broken? We didn't make any foolish choices except to trust in the white people back then.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
So who governs the land that we "give back"? Do they become their own nation? Where is the 56 million acres of land they are wanting to give back?

I agree the American Native lands were raped and they got a bum deal but come on. How would they thrive and prosper in this deal? And why are there so many unemployed Indians? Why can't they get jobs?

Why are there so many non Natives that are unemployed? Why can't they get jobs?

You know what is interesting? Russell Means said a couple of years back that the U.S. is turning into one big reservation, as we watch people losing their jobs, homes, and having no where to turn to but the.....govt. Sounds familiar!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
the term "reservation" had been used a lot and i would like clarification on it.

Usually it means "land given by the queen on which to live."

"settlement" and "unceded land" are usually called reserves but are not.

A settlement was bought from the Gov by a Nation as a place to reside. treated like a municipality of Can.

Unceded Land is a place within Canada the Gov recognizes it has NEVER owned and so enforces none of its laws or taxes.

Something I have always personally wondered is "Why, after centuries of "atrocities", ("Genocide" is too negitive a word and implies blame. "atrocity" is more neutral. As voted by Can. Govn't.) have none of these, recognized by Canada Nations, ever tried forcefully to doing anything in a long time. Most natives are pissed off about our past and present. What will happen if the Natives get too pissed off again? Nations can only take so much abuse before they retaliate.

Something most people forget is The Indian Act. a whole new set of laws and regulations that apply to Native peoples only. I am a Status Indian, which means I Have a status card and additional rights as recognized by Canada and the US.

If i do not have this card, i am not recognized as a Native by Canada. even though I'll always have the blood. card expires every 5 years,

On a side note: First Nation peoples only legally got the right to a lawyer in the 1960's.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bisman
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

well my tribe alone has about 5000 registered voters. i cant say how many more are here.
we are one of the smaller tribes of about 10 in this state.
and there are a lot of states and a canada in north america alone.

and the federal government still attempts to take land.
every year we are approached by the government, declaring that treaties that make up the borders are wrong and we have to have legal battles constantly to defend it.

there is always a freeway they need to lay. or a pipeline that needs to cut through. or a housing development on the border that needs to be owned by the US.
they never stop

They will never stop.
The rest of the American citizenry will be in the same boat soon enough. Once you become dependent on an entity, you give up all your power to make decisions for yourself.
Got to give it to your ancestors. Many tribes fought like heck before being broken. And they worked like heck to break you. Can't disrespect that.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman

So who governs the land that we "give back"? Do they become their own nation? Where is the 56 million acres of land they are wanting to give back?

I agree the American Native lands were raped and they got a bum deal but come on. How would they thrive and prosper in this deal? And why are there so many unemployed Indians? Why can't they get jobs?

You know what is interesting? Russell Means said a couple of years back that the U.S. is turning into one big reservation, as we watch people losing their jobs, homes, and having no where to turn to but the.....govt. Sounds familiar!

And it's something we should be working on together instead of dividing each other based on race and history.

"The white man did this and that and this"

Who cares? Natives weren't exactly peaceful people when the white man landed. Black were sold into slavery by their own people. It's good to know history, but work on the here and now instead of living in the past.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jagermeister

I will come in peace and give you some British History you may not be aware of. Yes the normans invaded England. And to most peoples belief the Normans where French. Thats wrong they are Scandinavians. However why did King Harold lose the Battle with William?3

King Harold Godwinson had to fight and defeat the Vikings at the Battle Of Stamford Bridge:-

en.wikipedia.org...

3 weeks later after having to march his army 300 miles south he fought The Normans at Hastings:-

en.wikipedia.org...

The reason for the English defeat was a mixture of tiredness and battle weary. The Norman army was both fresh and rested.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlawlessLegend
Something I have always personally wondered is "Why, after centuries of "atrocities", ("Genocide" is too negitive a word and implies blame. "atrocity" is more neutral. As voted by Can. Govn't.) have none of these, recognized by Canada Nations, ever tried forcefully to doing anything in a long time. Most natives are pissed off about our past and present. What will happen if the Natives get too pissed off again? Nations can only take so much abuse before they retaliate.

Ever wondered why the police and military are armed to the teeth?

That's one of the reasons.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

I will come in peace and give you some British History you may not be aware of. Yes the normans invaded England. And to most peoples belief the Normans where French. Thats wrong they are Scandinavians. However why did King Harold lose the Battle with William?3

King Harold Godwinson had to fight and defeat the Vikings at the Battle Of Stamford Bridge:-

en.wikipedia.org...

3 weeks later after having to march his army 300 miles south he fought The Normans at Hastings:-

en.wikipedia.org...

The reason for the English defeat was a mixture of tiredness and battle weary. The Norman army was both fresh and rested.

I agree. Godwin should have never been on the throne to begin with though. I guess that's more of a personal opinion more than anything else. Of course without the Normans most of what made the Empire what it was would've never come to be. The culture shock was needed imo.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
There is SO much ignorance and racism in this thread, I don't even know where to start. As soon as I saw the title to this thread however, I knew it would be chock full of people who hate Natives. I've seen it before on this forum every time there is a discussion thread about a Native issue. I'm not even going to bother arguing with the stormfront people who migrated here when the Trayvon threads began.

The fact is, we are the original indigenous peoples of America and there are some who still want us to go away so that they can keep taking off the land were were given. I encourage the ignorant here to start doing some research, because some of you are riding off what you were taught in school, which is inaccurate.

Here are a few videos for those interested that relate to the topic of land and relocation.

While some of you whine and cry about the possibility of Natives getting their land back, take a moment to think on this:

Your land is already being taken from many of you, bit by bit. The bankers have stolen some of your houses and lands. Or, you've been forced to give it up because you can't pay for what you have. Times are hard and they are only going to get worse. You don't have to worry because the Natives would never be given their land back, and the land we do have, the govt still comes on to do their uranium mining and their digging for minerals all over making the people very sick.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

its not about ourselves that we want the land. i want the future generations of my people to live with and beside nature. the land has always been apart of who we are. we are trying to reclaim our identity.

living in the present makes the future look like crap. but you wouldnt know. your too busy in box that is the now.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman

Russell Means

What is your opinion of the BLM and BIA? Good, or bad?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join